• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Derriaghy Platform Replacement

Wakeful

The new Platform 2 at NIR's Derriaghy opened yesterday, Monday 25th March, replacing the original on the other side of the Queensway road. Platform 1 has been extended too, and these works allows for six carriage trains to stop at the station. I believe the station is therefore now step-free accessible with the provision of the ramp to the new platform.

Oddly, Derriaghy is now NIR's lone station with staggered platforms - both Platform 1 and the original Platform 2 were parallel, but like I have already mentioned, the location of the new platform 2 is across the main road and bridge. All of this work leaves the green pedestrian bridge over the Queensway to likely face demolition as it is redundant.

On the whole, the works at the station have been progressing quickly (following NIR's introduction of extended Class 4000 trains) and are due to be officially completed after Easter, so well done to the works team. Adelaide's platform extensions are also in progress.

Find out more about the project here: https://www.translink.co.uk/corporate/media/improvementsandprojects/derriaghystation
Photographs from my visit on Saturday 23rd March:

163_0203.JPG
View across from Platform 1 to the soon-to-be-history Platform 2.

163_0208.JPG
View looking down the old Platform 2. The short ramp leading down to the footbridge across the Queensway was behind me.

163_0212.JPG
View from the footbridge across to the new Platform 2. The steepness of the new stairs were of concern to some passengers, as was the length of the ramp! The steps were not complete as of the 23rd, but the ramp was completed on time for the opening on Monday the 25th.

163_0199.JPGView across from Platform 1 to the new Platform 2. Note the interesting platform shelter design - one of two on the network, the other being at Lurgan, down the line towards Portadown.

Additional photographs:
IMG20240323143013.jpg
Extension work to Platform 1 was nearly, if not already, complete.
IMG20240323143424.jpg
The access to the old Platform 2 was by a flight of steps and a steep ramp.
IMG20240323143456.jpg
The green footbridge linking Platform 2 to the other side of the Queensway is redundant and will be demolished.
IMG20240323143556.jpg
Platform signage.

Last edited: