• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Describe a time when you have solved a difficult problem....?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Juliet Barvo

Describe a time when you have solved a difficult problem....?

What sort of problem R they after?:
  • I solved a difficult math problem by concentrating on it, giving it time, going over my work and double checking it to make sure my answer was correct;
  • Or, I was really exhausted cos I hadn't had leave in six months, but the manager came to me needing me to take out Overtime or the service would fail cos there was nobody else, so I made sure I could complete it within my legal working hours, took sufficient rest food and water, then I took out the Overtime whilst taking plenty of rests and refreshments, and I delivered the service in it's entirety safely;
  • Or, there worn't any volunteers to take out the Overtime and the service was in danger of failing, so I organised it that the overtime was split 15 different ways so every bloke in the depot could take a small but equal share...
Anyone know what sort of thing they're after when they ask that question?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Ianno87

Veteran Member
Last one the best example, in my opinion

1) Not good - doesn't show 'initiative' as such

2) Not good - again, not really 'initiative' (didn't want to do it, but did it anyway when pressured enough)

3) Suggests mediation and compromise between a number of people.

pop79

They want to know whether you can concentrate on your main job task while encountering distractions at the same time.

Dante

Just a heads up, I spent HOURS debating over this question only for it not to be one of my 6! ;)

pop79

Just a heads up, I spent HOURS debating over this question only for it not to be one of my 6! ;)
No it is not. But the similar one you will get is describe a time when you had to do a task well while encountering difficulties. I mean in the same meaning

RBSN

Just remember; your application answers will be questioned in more depth if you get to the interview stage.

Don’t be tempted to lie you’ll only be found out.

OneLowban

Last one the best example, in my opinion

1) Not good - doesn't show 'initiative' as such

2) Not good - again, not really 'initiative' (didn't want to do it, but did it anyway when pressured enough)

3) Suggests mediation and compromise between a number of people.
As examples of answers alone, I agree with number 1 & 3. I believe that number 2 is more of an answer for a question along the lines of “tell me a time you went the extra mile”.

However I would argue that as long as you wanted to help and made that clear, then taking into consideration and following all rules and guidelines and completing the task at hand, is a good example of going the extra mile.

So to answer a question of “solving a problem” then number 3 would indeed be best here.

Think what the problem was > what you did/had to do > the outcome.

Also as said above, don’t make things up. :smile:

Status
Not open for further replies.