• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Designation as a Halt

Status
Not open for further replies.

swcovas

I wonder if someone could clear up and clarify when the word halt officially disappeared from UK railway timetable terminolgy excluding preserved lines that is. I know that when IBM opened in 1978 it was designated as a Halt but when was the word dropped? Any help appreciated.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

HowardGWR

Established Member
I wonder if someone could clear up and clarify when the word halt officially disappeared from UK railway timetable terminolgy excluding preserved lines that is. I know that when IBM opened in 1978 it was designated as a Halt but when was the word dropped? Any help appreciated.
Of course a certain company only ever had haltes.:D

Veteran Member
The "halt" designation was actually dropped some years before 1977 (my reference is the 1st edition Baker atlas as well as memory), as by the early 70's unstaffed stations were getting so common that the distinction became unmanageable.

There was a period in the 60's when some stations overnight became halts because staff had been withdrawn.

Not sure of the history of IBM, but calling it a "halt" in 1978 was non-standard.

Solent&Wessex

Established Member
Sugar Loaf Halt is still called a "Halt" in some places - in ticket issuing systems for example.

Last edited:

Gwenllian2001

Another question is 'When was Halt not a Halt?'

Swanbridge Halt, between Penarth and Cadoxton, had a small Booking Office, open in summer. Tynycwm Halt, south of Risca, and Heath Halt high Level also had Booking Offices but open all year round.

Halt is another word for stop.
Usually a short platform - (up to 3 coaches?)
Maybe 'halt' should be brought back in use for request stops.
Help to bring to passenger's attention that it is a request only stop.
(Another word is/ was platform, eg Penmere Platform.
Usually have only one platform, even if double track etc)

Last edited:

Muzer

Established Member
Unless passengers have already come across it, I doubt calling them "Halt" would make it much clearer. It's not the same as its old meaning so would also confuse people who know what it used to mean.

Actually calling them (for example) "Dilton Marsh Request Stop" might have its merits, but it's a bit of a mouthful. What about "Dilton Marsh Request"?

(Are there ever any stations that are request stops on some services but not on others? (Maybe excluding one per day type things) - if so it would sort of put a bit of a stop to this idea).

swcovas

Thanks for the comments. Not sure it answers things. I asked because on a recent talk I gave it came up as a question which prompted me to try and find the answer. Here in Portugal, where I live, the official designation of a halt (apeadeiro) is a station (estação) which doesn't have any pointwork. So there are plenty of places which have station staff employed by the equivalent of NR who are there to operate pointwork to allow trains to pass but who don't sell tickets which is the responsibility of the train operator which here is still basically state run. So in a way these are unstaffed stations. And the opposite is also true with stations which are staffed and sell tickets but have no points and are therefore halts!

And it's quite funny how locals are really aware of it. I was on train recently when a couple of old women sitting close by were in conversation when I overheard a dialogue along the following lines, in Portuguese of course:

" Is this Carreço station?" said one.

"Yes, this is Carreço but it's not a station now it's an apeadeiro."

I just can't imagine such a conversation on a train in UK!!

As regards Sugar Loaf, that's a strange one. It only actually started to appear in the public tt in, I think, 1995 and don't think it was officially called a halt. It existed prior to that until 1964 as a point at which banking engines used to be released to return to Llandovery. Then it was officially called Sugar Loaf Summit, nothing else.

Deerfold

Veteran Member
Actually calling them (for example) "Dilton Marsh Request Stop" might have its merits, but it's a bit of a mouthful. What about "Dilton Marsh Request"?

(Are there ever any stations that are request stops on some services but not on others? (Maybe excluding one per day type things) - if so it would sort of put a bit of a stop to this idea).

But then you'd have people saying Ditton Marsh Request What?

swcovas

Yes, there are. Clarbeston Rd in West Wales and a number of stations on the Central Wales Line where the train crew have to operate the level crossing lights when travelling in one direction but not in the other ex: Llandybie, Ffairfach and others. I'm sure there are other examples in other parts of the UK.

Veteran Member
Thanks for the comments. Not sure it answers things. I asked because on a recent talk I gave it came up as a question which prompted me to try and find the answer. Here in Portugal, where I live, the official designation of a halt (apeadeiro) is a station (estação) which doesn't have any pointwork.

German railways distinguish very similarly - purely an operating distinction, nothing to do with the passenger experience.

Drsatan

Established Member
Yes, there are. Clarbeston Rd in West Wales and a number of stations on the Central Wales Line where the train crew have to operate the level crossing lights when travelling in one direction but not in the other ex: Llandybie, Ffairfach and others. I'm sure there are other examples in other parts of the UK.

Bere Alston on the Gunnislake branch springs to mind. At that station the train reverses and the driver gets out to change the points.

Status
Not open for further replies.