• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

DfT rolling stock perspective 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

snowball

Established Member
Appeared on the DfT website today:

https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...ive-2017-dfts-aspirations-for-the-rail-sector

This document sets out the Department for Transport’s perspective on rolling stock and our aspirations for the sector as a whole. The aim is to:

• make DfT act as better client of rolling stock for passengers and taxpayers
  • drive improvements in terms of passenger quality
  • offer improved information and transparency for stakeholders
This publication supersedes the 2016 rolling stock perspective.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

daikilo

Established Member
Shame. not much of an update. Nothing really mentioned about units sub-leased or the future of many classes of stock.
I haven't compared it with the second edition, but it looks quite comprehensive as an overview. I somehow doubt that the fact that a given rolling stock class appears to terminate in say 2019 actually means it will, apart from the pacers, but rather that the date is the end of the current franchise (e.g. Wales and Borders). I guess it is just an error that none of the HSTs are shown as going to Scotrail, they just disappear.

physics34

Established Member
I haven't compared it with the second edition, but it looks quite comprehensive as an overview. I somehow doubt that the fact that a given rolling stock class appears to terminate in say 2019 actually means it will, apart from the pacers, but rather that the date is the end of the current franchise (e.g. Wales and Borders). I guess it is just an error that none of the HSTs are shown as going to Scotrail, they just disappear.

Also the same with 319s ebing converted to 769s..and also no mention of the 4x 170s that went to southern and the others that are sub leased back to scotrail.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member

Complicated by the fact that Scotrail and Wales & Borders (after 2018) are not the DfT's responsibility, so no future detail is shown.
They seem to think W&B just operates Mk2 LHCS, when in fact they are now Mk3s.
The summary repeats the current alternative traction/no need to electrify policy, and anticipates a lot of new technology on trains.
This is a further reason why middle-aged EMUs will become surplus to requirements.

Status
Not open for further replies.