• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Diamond Bus East Midlands (was Midland Classic of Burton)

Is Burton getting any more buses at all?

Something I feel needs mentioning here is that Burton has no commitments (besides the A52 into Birmingham) regarding Euro 6 buses like the West Midlands fleet does. Although some of the existing fleet members inherited are non-standard to the group, all effort currently is on removing non-compliant buses in the West Midlands. I’m sure they’ll transfer more buses to Burton in time to aid in rebranding everything to Blue.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
Something I feel needs mentioning here is that Burton has no commitments (besides the A52 into Birmingham) regarding Euro 6 buses like the West Midlands fleet does. Although some of the existing fleet members inherited are non-standard to the group, all effort currently is on removing non-compliant buses in the West Midlands. I’m sure they’ll transfer more buses to Burton in time to aid in rebranding everything to Blue.
I thought that had to be done by April/May time?

I'm sort of hoping the school holiday can be used to rebrand some of the existing fleet but I know they have to do the Manchester Bee Line vehicles as well.

I think a Solo would be ideal for route 22 Burton to Swadlincote
Or even one of those Mellor vans they have in the West Midlands. Part of me thinks Burton may standardize more on E200's if anything does come to Burton.

I thought that had to be done by April/May time?

Initially that was the deadline, but both Diamond and National Express have made agreements with Transport for West Midlands to allow them to keep some non-compliant buses in service a little longer. There was a final end date mentioned somewhere, perhaps someone else can fill me in.

Last edited:

winston270twm

Established Member
So will these 10 Ex First Streetlite come to Burton in the future then?
No, I've already said where those 10 ex First Streetlites are heading, Diamond WM.

Suggestion here that they will end up in the West Midlands. Whether that will release some vehicles over to Burton we will see.

They will end up in the West Midlands, I made that post on the WMBus Photos Forum

Initially that was the deadline, but both Diamond and National Express have made agreements with Transport for West Midlands to allow them to keep some non-compliant buses in service a little longer. There was a final end date mentioned somewhere, perhaps someone else can fill me in.
I understand that all National Express & Diamond Buses operating in the West Midlands will now need to be Euro 6 by 15th January 2024, those currently exempt, will either need to be retrofitted to Euro 6 or removed from service.

Last edited:

Mkinson31422

On Moderation
No, I've already said where those 10 ex First Streetlites are heading, Diamond WM.

They will end up in the West Midlands, I made that post on the WMBus Photos Forum

I understand that all National Express & Diamond Buses operating in the West Midlands will now need to be Euro 6 by 15th January 2024, those currently exempt, will either need to be retrofitted to Euro 6 or removed from service.
Well I was told today that Stagecoach is after buying Diamond East Midlands

Established Member

ah ok thanks.

Because Diamond is running Burton into the ground
Ok I am an occasional user but regularly see them around Derby and Burton. I think the fleet is always clean and presentable and, at least when I have used them, the services are on time and any disruption normally seems to be posted on the Facebook page. I wouldn't say Burton is being run into the ground at all.

Last edited by a moderator:

Russel

Established Member
Ok I am an occasional user but regularly see them around Derby and Burton. I think the fleet is always clean and presentable and, at least when I have used them, the services are on time and any disruption normally seems to be posted on the Facebook page. I wouldn't say Burton is being run into the ground at all.

I've used them a couple of times since the takeover and haven't seen anything to suggest they are being run into the ground either.

If, for some reason, Stagecoach did buy them out, it would be more of the same, just another new livery...

Mkinson31422

On Moderation
I've used them a couple of times since the takeover and haven't seen anything to suggest they are being run into the ground either.

If, for some reason, Stagecoach did buy them out, it would be more of the same, just another new livery...
I’m just going off what my mate has told me

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
I think we should end this particular line of discussion here; it's entirely speculative without any concrete information to back it up.

If there are any developments in the future, feel free to post them here, making sure that you have a link to a reputable source and provide a quote.

Thanks

WM Bus

I take that mean the B7RLEs will be removed from the 125 and 7/192 cross boundary routes by January?

Last edited:

Mkinson31422

On Moderation
Does anyone know if the 12 plate E200 that Burton have are going to have the middle door removed?

Last edited by a moderator:

Established Member
40615 BF15 KFA has entered service today on the Derby route 9 meaning only 40614 is left to enter service of the Gemini 3's.

Established Member
They are new additional as Burton need more deckers for the school route in September
Must be some extra workings then. I see the new 831 from Hilton to John Taylor but nothing else and there are around 4 extra deckers in the fleet if you count 8 in (Gemini 3 + Streetdecks) and 4 out (Gemini + Presidents).

Wonder if before the schools go back these could release some of the single decks for repaint. Although they are probably busy with the ex First and Manchester (Bee Line) vehicles.

Established Member
Some changes have been announced for the 3rd September. These mostly relate to school changes for the 10, 21 and 402A. Uttoxeter 406 will be withdrawn and the 19A and 20 will extend to do a loop of Mercia Park.

Last edited: