• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Did 455s ever make it to Blackfriars or Holborn?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Richard Scott

Established Member
Only went there once in January 1989, which I believe was shortly before closure. Only saw EPB units, not a 455 in sight.

delt1c

Established Member
Did a 2/4 E P B type unit ever make it to Farringdon in the early days of the T/link scheme?
Never heard of it happening , I am sure it was onlky 319's from the start. Cant even recall hearing of any loco's for engineering

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
Did a 2/4 E P B type unit ever make it to Farringdon in the early days of the T/link scheme?

Yes - by accident - and going just a bit too fast to stop short. So he changed ends and went off ECS. No great harm done.

contrex

Never heard of it happening , I am sure it was onlky 319's from the start. Cant even recall hearing of any loco's for engineering
I'm pretty sure a class 73 made it to Farringdon before the start of public services through the tunnel. I think there was a report in the Railway Magazine. Also here's a picture of one in 2008, the accompanying text says that Rail magazine said it was 'unprecedented' but I'm not so sure.

steamybrian

Established Member
At its prime Holborn Viaduct had 6 platforms however through time this was gradually reduced to 2 when the station closed.
I have no information on any EPB stock reaching Farringdon when the Thameslink line reopened. As far as I know class 319 was the only stock permitted between Blackfriars and Farringdon.

RichJF

Class 465/466 were allowed up to City Thameslink/Smithfield Sidings before the Thameslink rebuild got underway & the OHLE interfered with the roofs.

hpknow

I'm pretty sure a class 73 made it to Farringdon before the start of public services through the tunnel. I think there was a report in the Railway Magazine. Also here's a picture of one in 2008, the accompanying text says that Rail magazine said it was 'unprecedented' but I'm not so sure.

It was unprecedented at the time because up until then Class 73s had not been seen on the Thameslink central core section. Its why I used that quote from RAIL.

Nicholas Lewis

Established Member
455's were used for a couple of test trains to Farringdon prior to class 319's starting driver training

Status
Not open for further replies.