• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Did 87002 ever haul the Royal Train?

Status
Not open for further replies.

USRailFan

I know diesel power was always the preferred even on electrified lines (the Royal Train having a pair of dedicated Class 47s at least from around 1990), but given it's name, it'd have to at least be very tempting to put 87002 at the head of the Royal Train if it was travelling on an all-electrified line?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

On Moderation
I know diesel power was always the preferred even on electrified lines (the Royal Train having a pair of dedicated Class 47s at least from around 1990), but given it's name, it'd have to at least be very tempting to put 87002 at the head of the Royal Train if it was travelling on an all-electrified line?
Back in BR days it was reported that 87002 and 87004 were the LMR’s preferred electric traction for the Royal Train. However, they were nothing like as synonymous with as 73142.

Magdalia

Established Member
87018 was used when HM Queen Elizabeth II officially opened the Preston-Glasgow electrification in 1974.

For the Silver Jubilee 87003 was used for the Scottish tour in May 1977 and 87004 was used for the North-West tour in June 1977.

These were all before the locos were named.

87002 did work the Royal Train at least once while named "Royal Sovereign". There's a picture here at Crewe in May 1983, which I suspect is an ecs move after taking the then Prince of Wales to the Kyle line for launch of an oil platform.

In steam days 61671 was named "Royal Sovereign" and was Cambridge's Royal loco. 61671 hauled HM Queen Elizabeth II on journeys to and from Sandringham many times in the first few years of her reign.

Status
Not open for further replies.