• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Did I do the right thing during a delay?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gray1404

Established Member
I remember at least one thread recently where someone with an Advance ticket ended up with some bother from the TOC for boarding an earlier train when theirs was delayed. So it's not that far fetched.

The fact that this thread exists proves that it is possible!

Even if it did, there's a whole lot of stress and hassle before it gets to that stage.

Please provide the link to that thread. I'm be very interested to read it. Please!!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Link to the legislation that proves your point then!

Given that it is interpretation of a term where there is some ambiguity I feel certain that the unfair terms in consumer contracts legislation would cover it, confirming that the meaning most favourable to the consumer applies.

najaB

Veteran Member
Please provide the link to that thread. I'm be very interested to read it. Please!!
I'm having a hunt for it but I can't remember the details though so having some difficulty finding it.

As I recall, the poster was in a similar situation as yourself - they had a connection to make, the train they alighted from was a few minutes early and the train they were booked on was showing as late on the screens. So they hopped onto an earlier train which wasn't a valid connection for timetabling purposes.

If memory serves they got a letter from the TOC, but they were 'let off' when they replied to it.

I'm still hunting...

I have come across this post where krus_aragon found that there wasn't consistency over the interpretation of the rules. Still looking...

Last edited:

gray1404

Established Member
I'm having a hunt for it but I can't remember the details though so having some difficulty finding it.

As I recall, the poster was in a similar situation as yourself - they had a connection to make, the train they alighted from was a few minutes early and the train they were booked on was showing as late on the screens. So they hopped onto an earlier train which wasn't a valid connection for timetabling purposes.

If memory serves they got a letter from the TOC, but they were 'let off' when they replied to it.

I'm still hunting...

I have come across this post where krus_aragon found that there wasn't consistency over the interpretation of the rules. Still looking...

Thanks for having a look. If you do find it just post it here or indeed if anyone else remembers. I too shall have a dig around.

I think if my booked xx:10 service was showing as delayed then I would have had to have waited for it. I think the difference when a train is cancelled is that you do have to look for an alternative train - no other choice.

I've just looked up my ticket again on BRfares - not sure if that wording is taken from elsewhere that forms part of contract on an Advance but it states:
If the train the customer
purchased a ticket for is
cancelled or delayed by more
than 60 minutes, special
arrangements will be made to
accommodate them on another
train (although a seat cannot
be guaranteed). If, as a
result, customers decide not
to travel, a refund will be
offered on completely unused
tickets and they will not be
charged an administration fee.

So I read that as:
If you train is CANCELLED arrangements will be made to
accommodate them on another
train.

AND

If your booked train is DELAYED then it has to be by 60 minutes before you become entitled to take another. Although I think in reality staff may give permission for something different (as noted above).

Status
Not open for further replies.