• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Did the England football team get a stop order on a train?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cherry_Picker

Established Member
http://youtu.be/8vrHMmZm6lU

Video released by the FA of the England team travelling from Burton upon Trent (where the main training facilities are located) to London ahead of tomorrow's game against Scotland.

They take a coach for the short trip to Lichfield Trent Valley where they get on a Pendolino to Euston. At about one minute and fifty seconds it shows a close up of the door which reveals the train is 1A46, which is the 14:55 Manchester Piccadilly to Euston via Crewe service. The door panel shows the booked departure time of 15:29 from Crewe and that it is next stop London Euston. The video shows the train stopping at Lichfield and Watford Junction as does realtimetrains.co.uk

http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/P50668/2013/08/13/advanced

I presume if anybody can get a train to stop out of course then it is The FA, they have quite a lot of money and of course, Virgin Trains would like to be seen as to be associated with them. I just wondered how much this kind of thing would cost, or would the publicity be enough for Virgin to do it as a gesture of goodwill?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

David10

Virgin probably have to pay the normal stop order penalty, a couple of hundred pounds I think, but more than offset by extra couple of thousand in revenue.

On Saturday afternoon, Man United had a block booking from Stockport on a normal service when travelling to London for the Charity Shield, with the front two first class carriages cordoned off. Moderate police and security presence to keep general public at bay.

causton

Established Member
But if you look at that link, it has had a special timetable made for that day only with a booked stop at LTV! So they actually planned it and put it in the timetable... therefore they shouldn't pay any penalty as they wouldn't have put the stop there for anything else... would they?

David10

Probably not a penalty, but an access fee of some description. And would have been specially platformed at Euston to allow a coach to pull up alongside the train.

Established Member
Probably not a penalty, but an access fee of some description. And would have been specially platformed at Euston to allow a coach to pull up alongside the train.

Station access fees for TOCs (franchised ones anyway) are based on a chosen week, generally in January, which is taken as representative and multiplied for the year. Certainly don't pay as you go so to speak for STP.

Last edited:

38Cto15E

The Watford Jct stop would have been because the team were staying at The Grove Hotel near to Watford.
The Lichfield special stop will probably be a regular occurence when England are playing at Wembley as they now train at Burton beforehand.
When Man U are in London I think they stay at The Landmark Hotel, the old British Railways Headquarters at Marylebone.

alex17595

Ah yes, they got their training facilities up near tatenhill, why do interesting things happen at home when I'm on holiday :(

Status
Not open for further replies.