• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Difficulties changing an Advance ticket booked on Avanti

Status
Not open for further replies.

MKB

As one of the tens of thousands of people with train tickets to now-cancelled events this coming weekend, I was looking at how I can make use of Avanti's "Book with confidence" guarantee, and it appears to be pretty difficult.

I can change my Advance ticket for tomorrow, without admin fee and on payment of fare difference, by 6pm today, but they don't have any Advance reservations open for future weekends, so there's nowhere to actually move it to when I can actually re-use the ticket.

Presumably, I can move to a same-priced weekday service as far out as possible, and then keep moving it until the weekend I need opens up? Any flaws in my thinking?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Haywain

Veteran Member
As one of the tens of thousands of people with train tickets to now-cancelled events this coming weekend, I was looking at how I can make use of Avanti's "Book with confidence" guarantee, and it appears to be pretty difficult.

I can change my Advance ticket for tomorrow, without admin fee and on payment of fare difference, by 6pm today, but they don't have any Advance reservations open for future weekends, so there's nowhere to actually move it to when I can actually re-use the ticket.

Presumably, I can move to a same-priced weekday service as far out as possible, and then keep moving it until the weekend I need opens up? Any flaws in my thinking?
Book with Confidence allows refund of the ticket, with the amount paid given back in eVouchers to be used for any journey booked within 12 months. You do not need to be booking another journey immediately.

MKB

Good to know. I thought they'd stopped that. How do you actually apply for the eVouchers? I can't see an option.

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
That's one option. The alternative would be to request an e-voucher (usable on Avanti's site) or paper Rail Travel Voucher (usable at any ticket office, or onboard the train if there is no ticket office or it's shut, with the usual provisos), through this form.

MKB

Thanks for the link. That's the form I used last year (but couldn't find a link to it today on the Book-with-Confidence page).

UPDATE: I've worked out how to get to that link now on their webpage. It's quite a convoluted route! Seems to be deliberately hard to find.

Status
Not open for further replies.