• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Digital Railcard - Can I use it with a paper ticket?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rebus

Hi, not sure if this is the right place, but here goes...

I'm thinking of getting a digital senior railcard through Trainline and this is stored on my phone (or any other compatible device I have). I may have to travel on Tuesday so have no time to get a new plastic/credit card style one like my previous one that has expired.
So if I purchase a ticket through Trainline, the railcard is also stored within my account and both can be presented if required, so no problem for me.
But if I were to purchase a good old fashioned card ticket from a booking office, can I still use it to prove I have a valid railcard for the journey even if I didn't purchase it through trainline?
I assume I can but I can't find any direct reference to this on the web site.

I know people on here always bash Trainline, but I've used it a lot and had no problems and also tend to purchase on the day using the app so pay no fees. So please don't turn this into a TL hate-fest! :)

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Kev

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
That's perfectly fine. As long as you can show the railcard in an official format (app, plastic or paper card) that's all that matters :)

Rebus

That's perfectly fine. As long as you can show the railcard in an official format (app, plastic or paper card) that's all that matters :)
Thank you ainsworth74 - I though it would be OK but just thought I'd ask.

I've got a digital senior railcard, regularly use it with paper tickets and that's always been fine.
Thanks for the reassurance, allotments.

_toommm_

Established Member
If you're purchasing a Railcard through TheTrainLine, make sure to use the discount code Railcard50 to get 50% off. The code is valid until 11:59PM (GMT) 17/12/21.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
It also said subject to availability... you always take a chance by waiting.

It was not promoted that way, though. If it had said 10,000 discounted Railcards, get them while you can, then I would agree, but this is rather sharp practice and so I feel it might (and should) give them bad publicity.

Y Ddraig Coch

Established Member
It was not promoted that way, though. If it had said 10,000 discounted Railcards, get them while you can, then I would agree, but this is rather sharp practice and so I feel it might (and should) give them bad publicity.

I didn't see the offer myself, but in general promotions are often offered with the terms "This offer can be removed at any time" in the T&C's

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I didn't see the offer myself, but in general promotions are often offered with the terms "This offer can be removed at any time" in the T&C's

Though promotions are intended to bring customer goodwill. "Weasel" T&Cs are not a good way to achieve this - typically they are, rightly, a gross embarrassment for the company concerned. They sit in that bracket of "things that are legal but you shouldn't really do".

This would have been avoided by them saying how many they were going to give away to start with. They could always have released more if they wanted.

Y Ddraig Coch

Established Member
Though promotions are intended to bring customer goodwill. "Weasel" T&Cs are not a good way to achieve this - typically they are, rightly, a gross embarrassment for the company concerned. They sit in that bracket of "things that are legal but you shouldn't really do".

This would have been avoided by them saying how many they were going to give away to start with. They could always have released more if they wanted.
I agree 100%

Railway job adverts are another great one for giving a month to apply and closing after a few days due to demand. Why they put a month I have no idea as any job on the railway always has hundreds / thousands of applications the minute they go live.

AndyMe

mirodo

I don't suppose you have any Tesco Clubcard vouchers, do you? If you do, you can get the Railcard from Railcard for £10.00 worth of vouchers.
Unfortunately not. Serves me right for being vain and waiting to apply until I'd had a haircut so I looked more respectable in the photo! :D

_toommm_

Established Member
It also said subject to availability... you always take a chance by waiting.

Unless I’m missing something glaringly obvious, the email T&Cs didn’t state that it was limited to x customers.

I’m not overly bothered as I took advantage of it, but as others have noted, it isn’t the best practice.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Unless I’m missing something glaringly obvious, the email T&Cs didn’t state that it was limited to x customers.

Almost certainly it said "subject to availability and at our sole discretion" or somesuch.

I’m not overly bothered as I took advantage of it, but as others have noted, it isn’t the best practice.

It certainly makes them look curmudgeonly to just cut it off without prior notice.

Status
Not open for further replies.