• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Direct Aberdeen to Penzance cheaper than services with changes

Class800

Established Member
Avanti appears to set fares from Glasgow to Bristol and on to Totnes, XC sets fares to Plymouth and beyond.
From Edinburgh, XC sets fares to Cheltenham and beyond, and both XC and Avanti have fares to Birmingham.
From memory it took quite a while for XC fares to be removed from Avanti flows after the separation of the franchises (both Virgin initially).
Among other things, XC forces the blanket "not before 0930" off-peak time restriction which is not the same on Avanti.
To clarify, this is on fares set by XC, not necessarily all XC-operated services.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

norbitonflyer

Established Member
An "open" ticket has the same "risk" of missing a connection.

You would have the same potential to have to change your plans if cancellations or delays occur, regardless of the ticket(s) held.
The risk of missing a connection is the same, but the consequences are worse if you don't have an open ticket.

And changes of plan may be for reasons external to the railway, for example if you have to return home earlier or later than you planned for personal or business reasons.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
The risk of missing a connection is the same, but the consequences are worse if you don't have an open ticket.
In what way? In both cases you would be entitled to take the next available trains, subject to any route / TOC restrictions.

And changes of plan may be for reasons external to the railway, for example if you have to return home earlier or later than you planned for personal or business reasons.
Ok that's a completely different point, nothing to do with disruption.

trainophile

Established Member
Just been checking, and yesterday and today the ABD-PNZ train started from Edinburgh, due to “crew issues”. Monday it ran okay. Probably far too soon to know if it will run on our date 13th June.

If it were to start short I guess we’d have to buy new tickets for the 07:52 LNER to EDB, and pick the XC up there. Would we be able to claim the LNER tickets back from XC?

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
If it were to start short I guess we’d have to buy new tickets for the 07:52 LNER to EDB, and pick the XC up there. Would we be able to claim the LNER tickets back from XC?
No; as per previous threads regarding disruption, where you'd otherwise be stranded, any operator in a position to help is obliged to do so, as defined in NRCoT Condition 28.2.

You could get the 0752 LNER Azuma to connect with the original train from Edinburgh, or the 0904 LNER HST, which would put you on a later XC to Plymouth, for onward travel by GWR, and you'd claim Delay Repay from XC.

(Alternatively you can choose not to travel using the original tickets, and obtain a full refund)

trainophile

Established Member
Thanks, a bit awkward to cancel completely as we’re booked in a hotel in Penzance, and have tickets back to Hereford for the next day.

What mainly concerns me is we’re scheduled into PNZ at 21:30ish and the hotel check in is until 22:00. I’m actually on my way there today (not from Aberdeen!) to see if I can check it out and ask what their policy is for late arrivals.

We did originally book the Premier Inn, but £191 for one night - I don’t think so. It was Trainsplit’s little accommodation map under our booking confirmation that saved the day, and £100, actually.

StarCrossing

Just been checking, and yesterday and today the ABD-PNZ train started from Edinburgh, due to “crew issues”. Monday it ran okay. Probably far too soon to know if it will run on our date 13th June.

I frequently catch this train (for a seven minute journey!) and it seems to start from Edinburgh quite frequently. I'd guess at least once a week on average. I'm not sure whether journey planners usually reflect this the night before or just on the morning of departure.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Thanks, a bit awkward to cancel completely as we’re booked in a hotel in Penzance, and have tickets back to Hereford for the next day.

What mainly concerns me is we’re scheduled into PNZ at 21:30ish and the hotel check in is until 22:00. I’m actually on my way there today (not from Aberdeen!) to see if I can check it out and ask what their policy is for late arrivals.

We did originally book the Premier Inn, but £191 for one night - I don’t think so. It was Trainsplit’s little accommodation map under our booking confirmation that saved the day, and £100, actually.
I would be prudent to have accommodation that can accept a late arrival.

For a journey of that length, it would be foreseeable that there is a possibility of a delay.

trainophile

Established Member
The hotel was very reassuring - there’s usually someone around until about 23:00, and if we were going to be seriously late and let them know they can leave a key for us. Won’t say where, or give name of hotel, as this is a public forum but if anyone wants to know send me a DM.

As for the potential morning complications I’ll set my alarm for 06:00 in case we have to get ourselves to Edinburgh. Will be a shame as the through journey is the whole point of this trip.