• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Displayed calories on menus

Status
Not open for further replies.

dk1

Veteran Member
Not by me, it isn't. I don't pay much attention to the calorie count itself, but in supermarkets I pay a lot of attention to the % breakdown of protein, fat, refined sugar and complex carbohydrates. I also often look at the list of ingredients, normally in order to get an idea of how many ingredients there are and therefore how processed it's likely to be (and also to check for certain foods that I massively don't like).

I must admit I do look at the traffic light system occasionally. If it’s got too much red I might try to swap or avoid but then think oh well it’s a Friday, or Saturday or any other weekday when I’m off or just because what the hell & get it anyway. No point settling for something that doesn’t taste as nice.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Yes breaking the fiber

oh dear. You have been stateside too long.

I must admit I do look at the traffic light system occasionally. If it’s got too much red I might try to swap or avoid but then think oh well it’s a Friday, or Saturday or any other weekday when I’m off or just because what the hell & get it anyway. No point settling for something that doesn’t taste as nice.

Now here’s a thing. An individual’s taste can change, and you can train yourself to do it. I used to eat a lot of fatty food / full fat milk / cheese etc. Loved them. After a health ‘warning’ a few years ago, I went through a process of changing my diet. For some things it was a difficult journey, for others fairly easy (eg the transition to skimmed milk took me 4 days). But now I find anything that is too fatty tastes revolting. ie For me what ‘tastes nice’ is now generally the healthier option. and I feel so much better for it, both physically and mentally.

For me, the same transition with sugary things is much more difficult, but others find it easy.

dk1

Veteran Member
Now here’s a thing. An individual’s taste can change, and you can train yourself to do it. I used to eat a lot of fatty food / full fat milk / cheese etc. Loved them. After a health ‘warning’ a few years ago, I went through a process of changing my diet. For some things it was a difficult journey, for others fairly easy (eg the transition to skimmed milk took me 4 days). But now I find anything that is too fatty tastes revolting. ie For me what ‘tastes nice’ is now generally the healthier option. and I feel so much better for it, both physically and mentally.

For me, the same transition with sugary things is much more difficult, but others find it easy.

Sorry to hear you had a health scare. See I find it much easier to cut out cake & chocolate as long as I’ve always got a packet of McVities digestives on the go. Just a couple and it stops me craving all the other sweet treats. Full fat milk or anything with lumps that may create a skin on the top makes me gag so been semi-skimmed for most of my life. I don’t mind coffee black if I’m honest & only show the milk to the cereal bowl as can’t abide it swimming. I have tried other low fat less tasty crisps but always go back to Walkers & not that baked variety.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Sorry to hear you had a health scare. See I find it much easier to cut out cake & chocolate as long as I’ve always got a packet of McVities digestives on the go. Just a couple and it stops me craving all the other sweet treats. Full fat milk or anything with lumps that may create a skin on the top makes me gag so been semi-skimmed for most of my life. I don’t mind coffee black if I’m honest & only show the milk to the cereal bowl as can’t abide it swimming. I have tried other low fat less tasty crisps but always go back to Walkers & not that baked variety.

cutting out cake and biscuits is really, really, difficult for me. I have to go cold turkey, it takes two weeks, and I can feel my body adjusting (chemically and physically!). It only takes one moment of weakness and I’m back on it, and unless I catch it immediately it’s another two weeks of purgatory.

Fatty savoury stuff though - I won’t ever go back because I just don’t like the stuff now. E.g. any pastries, anything with creamy or cheesy sauce, anything with more than a sprinkling of cheese, etc.

I am, however, 12kg lighter than I was 20 years ago, and can do things now I couldn’t then.

Jamiescott1

I dont look at calories at all. Apparently according to my watch, my run this morning burnt 2300 calories. I dont know really know what that means

Status
Not open for further replies.