• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Disposing of old railway books and hornby magazines

chelsea_leanne

Hi,

I have some old railway books and hornby magazines from my grandad who was a massive collector. Could someone point me in the right direction on what to do with them. I’d hate to throw them away. He has stored some. They all have issue numbers on and couple are missing

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Magdalia

Established Member
Hi,

I have some old railway books and hornby magazines from my grandad who was a massive collector. Could someone point me in the right direction on what to do with them. I’d hate to throw them away. He has stored some. They all have issue numbers on and couple are missing
Another option is the railwayana auction at Thirsk Farmers' Auction Mart, which is not far away from you. There was an auction last weekend and the next is on 15 June.

Upcoming Auctions​

15 June 2024 -
Sale of Railwayana - LIVE

nanstallon

I find it hard to even give magazines away. Nobody, even heritage railway shops, seems to want them.

bluenoxid

Established Member
I agree that it is difficult to give away magazines.

I am not linked to them but one option is to ask the group who run the model railway at Ormesby Hall if your location is that way (someone suggested you weren’t too far off Thirsk).

They have a shelf/window sill that gives magazines away in return for a small donation and it attracts a lot of little ones who won’t be fussed by the date of the magazine.

Forty29

I find it hard to even give magazines away. Nobody, even heritage railway shops, seems to want them.
That's correct heritage railways with in a 100 mile radius of me didn't want some magazines l wanted to get rid of, eventually binned because the shed l had them in wasn't as watertight as l thought.