• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Disruption at London Kings Cross 30/06/2023 evening

Status
Not open for further replies.

Failed Unit

Established Member
Last night was the classic case of a rock in a hard place for the railway,

At about 2320 a trespasser was reported on the line at Kings Cross (understand heading into the gasworks tunnel). The power was turned off while the trespasser was apprehended and all trains stood. Included 2 at Finsbury Park which I understand was a bit messy as a major event had just kicked out there.

I has on the 2327 Kings Cross - Cambridge service and the drive told us about this incident - then we waited.

At about 0015 we were asked to leave the train and return to the platform - not really sure why as people were generally calm and comfortable to sit it out, but apparently this request was made by the British Transport police.

At about 0045 we were told that the power was restored, and that trains would be moving again soon. A few empty coaching stock left, then the 2333 LNER service to Leeds, but not much else moved. Trains stranded such as the Peterborough and Ex Moorgate went north. But most southbound trains didn’t move. It was about 0130 before the first one from the north which had stood at Finsbury Park arrived.

At 0205 The 2327 Kings Cross - Cambridge left with the same train and drive we had asked to leave.

Does anyone know why it took so long to move the majority of the trains, I know restoring power isn’t turning on a switch, but it seemed to take ages from what were told to when the majority of trains started moving again.

Was the lack of information probably because it was so late at night? Thin control rooms as the service was closing down. That was the biggest complaint on the station. We didn’t know should we go use another route, I guess it is impossible to know how long such an incident would take to clear, but I certainly would have gone to St Albans had I know it would be 2h30 before trains would move, with the risk of not finding any taxis on Friday night.

Just interested if anyone knows (and can say) what was happening in the background. I know the situation changes quickly, but when we were told the suspect was apprehended and the power was restored everyone was surprised that it was a good hour before we heard anything else. One thing I do notice is the railway stops if it gets a trespasser when the M25 just stays open with a speed limit. (Unless they have climbed a structure) Better rules for the motorways :(

Still also not sure why we all had to leave the train, everyone was happier on it then the concourse. The driver was also proving better information then the stations was.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
At about 2320 a trespasser was reported on the line at Kings Cross (understand heading into the gasworks tunnel). The power was turned off while the trespasser was apprehended and all trains stood. Included 2 at Finsbury Park which I understand was a bit messy as a major event had just kicked out there.

Interesting as there was a minor trespass incident near St Pancras yesterday afternoon (someone acting suspiciously within the railway perimeter around Dock Junction).

I wonder if it was the same individual…

sleepinghobby

Pretty much the worst case scenario happened to the trespasser so it was not simply a trespass incident.

Not sure about delays but perhaps all EMU in the area may have needed to boot back up plus I think STP was bimode for a while so any trains pathed that way would have had to wait for congestion to clear.

Failed Unit

Established Member
Pretty much the worst case scenario happened to the trespasser so it was not simply a trespass incident.

Not sure about delays but perhaps all EMU in the area may have needed to boot back up plus I think STP was bimode for a while so any trains pathed that way would have had to wait for congestion to clear.
Yes it was - Platform B was blocked by the 2332 Cambridge service, The following Peterborough service was held at London Bridge. Both didn‘t move until after 2am as well.

Falcon1200

Established Member
One would have to ask why the power was turned off; It is overhead wires (OLE), not third rail, and there is no danger whatsoever to a trespasser on the track from the OLE; Unless they climbed an electrification structure, in which case the situation is different and the power does have to be switched off, affecting a large area.

Llanigraham

On Moderation
One would have to ask why the power was turned off; It is overhead wires (OLE), not third rail, and there is no danger whatsoever to a trespasser on the track from the OLE; Unless they climbed an electrification structure, in which case the situation is different and the power does have to be switched off, affecting a large area.

And that is exactly why they turn it off!
The risk cannot be taken.

Established Member

the person attempted to climb up a structure. They do not turn OHL just for the fun of it, as it affects a far greater area than where trespasser is, in this case turning power off also affected Bounds Green depot.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member

AIUI the power was turned off a matter of seconds before the individual came into contact with the OLE. Tip of the bowler to those making the call and in the Electrical Control Room.

Falcon1200

Established Member
Thanks for the clarifications, of course as the trespasser climbed a structure NR had no choice but to turn the power off. And, having been responsible for imposing emergency switch-offs myself, I am only too aware of the large areas usually involved, and the disruption caused.

Failed Unit

Established Member
How come it took so long to get things moving once we were told the power was back on. Did the lines need inspection for damage once they were live just in case? Avoid a dewirement by the first train?

66701GBRF

The worst case scenario would have been a fatality. That wasn‘t the case.

Established Member
AIUI the power was turned off a matter of seconds before the individual came into contact with the OLE. Tip of the bowler to those making the call and in the Electrical Control Room.

Was the power switched off on time to prevent the person being electrocuted?

sleepinghobby

As I understand it, the trespasser made contact with the OHLE before the power was switched off and an ambulance was called to the scene. I would be glad if he merely fell but survived. Perhaps he could redeem himself by educating his fellow substance abusers on the dangers of trespassing and the hours of misery he causes to thousands across the city. Turning the ES was the right call then

Established Member
That was how I understood @Bald Rick's post that you quote.

With OHLE the charge doesn’t necessarily immediate dissipate upon switch off.

As I understand it, the trespasser made contact with the OHLE before the power was switched off and an ambulance was called to the scene. I would be glad if he merely fell but survived. Perhaps he could redeem himself by educating his fellow substance abusers on the dangers of trespassing and the hours of misery he causes to thousands across the city. Turning the ES was the right call then

Sadly with OHLE contact the injuries are likely to be life changing.

Status
Not open for further replies.