• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Disruption GEML 12/12/17 Morning

Status
Not open for further replies.

LAX54

Established Member
Seems there is a track defect at Forest Gate on Up Main, Engineers are working on problem now, they hope to have it fixed by 0730, so one assumes that services to London will have to be thinned out for at least the first part of the peak :(

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Plus disruption at Attleborough, Lowestoft, Witham, Wickford and Hockley. Sounds like a fun morning!

dk1

Veteran Member
Been one of those days with plenty of spare stock/crews on the North of the route. IC services are reduced to hourly with the additional 06:24 set cancelled too. Two sets where left at Norwich one at Crown Point the other on the Royal Dock. Other stabling space was limited around the station with two 3-car 170s in the only two accessible sidings in the Low Level (IC set blocking others) along with another 3-car 170 in the Middle Road as East Midlands Trains had taken over the Jubilee Sidings with 4 158s spread over each of the 3 roads. Further problems with platform 4 meant it was rather a godsend not haveing a full service as trains have to be talked past the starting signal at danger.

Established Member
Chelmsford 5 deep for the whole length of the 12 car platform just around 08.00 this morning. Even a 12 car 321 couldn't collect them all. No chance of boarding at Ingatestone. Now that is busy, wonder what the total weight of the train was.

tim_lathe

I was there, arrived on whatever train happened at 0758, 40 minutes later than planned after initially starting on the 0647 from Colchester Town (cancelled at Colchester).
The interior of that train was like the Central Line from Kelvedon, I had to get partially physical with people to get off it at Chelmsford. Not very nice at all. No one appeared got on that train at Chelmsford.
I do think that they should stop selling cups of red hot tea to people under those conditions as that is just a safety hazard. It also took 10 minutes to get off the platform, and all the gates were exit only with a huge crowd outside.
Nice to see that the ticket was retained in the gate, so I cannot claim anything.
And in some (non rail) industries, a good rule of thumb is 12 people with belongings weighs 1 ton, so if you get 120 in 1 carriage that's 10 tons more, so 120 tons heavier for 12 cars.
What was weird is that the train in question (1N11) was held at Kelvedon, for 15 minutes, I assumed at the time that single line working was in use and we were waiting for the line. However, after it started off and had cleared the crossovers a freight passed on the down line.
From the journey home ( and the attendant speed restriction), it appears the broken rail was in the vicinity of the bridge over Oak Rd.

LAX54

Established Member
Platfrom 4 at Norwich will be a pain, any train requiring to depart will mean nothing moving in the Station throat area, until move completed.

dk1

Veteran Member
Platfrom 4 at Norwich will be a pain, any train requiring to depart will mean nothing moving in the Station throat area, until move completed.

Theatre indicator but only a red. Lots of Orange bods working at the top end.

JW16

As soon as there is a certain degree of disruption, TfL seem to cancel all Gidea Park-starting services and cancel all London-bound trains at Manor Park, Forest Gate and Maryland, presumably sending everyone on buses to Stratford instead. Is that a fair assessment? This morning one service even cut out Chadwell Heath, Goodmayes and Seven Kings!

dk1

Veteran Member
As soon as there is a certain degree of disruption, TfL seem to cancel all Gidea Park-starting services and cancel all London-bound trains at Manor Park, Forest Gate and Maryland, presumably sending everyone on buses to Stratford instead. Is that a fair assessment? This morning one service even cut out Chadwell Heath, Goodmayes and Seven Kings!

It's the most sensible option all round.

JW16

How much inconvenience does it cause a London-bound commuter from Manor Park for example? Are the buses frequent enough, quick enough and quiet enough to accommodate all the people normally on the train?

Last edited:

Established Member
I was there, arrived on whatever train happened at 0758, 40 minutes later than planned after initially starting on the 0647 from Colchester Town (cancelled at Colchester).
The interior of that train was like the Central Line from Kelvedon, I had to get partially physical with people to get off it at Chelmsford. Not very nice at all. No one appeared got on that train at Chelmsford.
I do think that they should stop selling cups of red hot tea to people under those conditions as that is just a safety hazard. It also took 10 minutes to get off the platform, and all the gates were exit only with a huge crowd outside.
Nice to see that the ticket was retained in the gate, so I cannot claim anything.
And in some (non rail) industries, a good rule of thumb is 12 people with belongings weighs 1 ton, so if you get 120 in 1 carriage that's 10 tons more, so 120 tons heavier for 12 cars.
What was weird is that the train in question (1N11) was held at Kelvedon, for 15 minutes, I assumed at the time that single line working was in use and we were waiting for the line. However, after it started off and had cleared the crossovers a freight passed on the down line.
From the journey home ( and the attendant speed restriction), it appears the broken rail was in the vicinity of the bridge over Oak Rd.

Tea a safety hazard - that's a new one :) . I know what you mean but the mutiny from not selling tea on a freezing morning may have been a greater hazard ;)

Thanks for the maths, just curious. Our 321 didn't seem to mind the extra weight once we got going after Shenfield.

1P04 06.25 Liverpool St to Norwich ran down the up line from Witham to Kelvedon - I was watching on the OpenTrainTimes signalling map, which is why you were held at Kelvedon.

LAX54

Established Member
of course when passing signal at Danger, we are not allowed to have any other moves going on that could come into conflict, seems the structure is also signed out of use, looking at SUNDAY ! to work on it ! in the meantime..minimum use of P4

Established Member
How much inconvenience does it cause a London-bound commuter from Manor Park for example? Are the buses frequent enough, quick enough and quiet enough to accommodate all the people normally on the train?

No, No and No unless you are lucky, but it is the least worst option taking all GEML line users into account. There is the 25 and 86 to Stratford, but from Manor Park you may be better off getting a bus to East Ham then the District Line. Similar Forest Gate to Upton Park. Maryland - just walk to Stratford.

tim_lathe

Yes that Norwich set did pass first. I've since worked out that the freight was 4L60 and had sat between Witham and Kelvedon on the down for 2 HOURS (he must have "examined the line" and found theres no rail, and had to wait for it to be plated.)
The tea (and coffee) bit is an issue when people try and push as that lot did today. As I said, I had to get physical to get off. Having spent the best part of an hour standing on a packed train listening to some woman continuously spouting off about how she should have a seat as she has a season ticket did not help. I pay much more.

A 321 is 1438 bhp per power car (360 per motor), so on a 12 car you have 4318 bhp. Equivalent to a deltic and a 37 together, in power at the rail. I am not surprised it did not struggle (might have slipped though, they seem good at that), and nice DC motors with lots of torque too.

Established Member
Slight tangent. Will Maryland ever be closed through proximity to Stratford? Or at least removed from the peak timetable?

Not at all, quite the reverse. Under Crossrail it could see the greatest service it has ever had.

It was closed during the 2012 Olympics, as greater dwell times were needed at Stratford, but that is the closest it got.

JW16

I do always wonder why morning commuters bother at Maryland though. With trains only every 10 minutes and perhaps only a 40% chance of squeezing on, why not just walk to Stratford?!

LAX54

Established Member
Yes that Norwich set did pass first. I've since worked out that the freight was 4L60 and had sat between Witham and Kelvedon on the down for 2 HOURS (he must have "examined the line" and found theres no rail, and had to wait for it to be plated.)
The tea (and coffee) bit is an issue when people try and push as that lot did today. As I said, I had to get physical to get off. Having spent the best part of an hour standing on a packed train listening to some woman continuously spouting off about how she should have a seat as she has a season ticket did not help. I pay much more.

A 321 is 1438 bhp per power car (360 per motor), so on a 12 car you have 4318 bhp. Equivalent to a deltic and a 37 together, in power at the rail. I am not surprised it did not struggle (might have slipped though, they seem good at that), and nice DC motors with lots of torque too.

It was actually 4L69 0105 Lawley St to Fxst Nth, passed Withjm 9 late and then 140 late by Colchester (4L60 arr Fxst at 0514)

tim_lathe

Slip of the memory. Finding that out was quite hard. It's listed as "400U" on most on line services.

More of a discussion point, one presumes (not working on the railway, but have a very big interest in the engineering), that the broken rail exhibited itself as a track circuit failure (meaning a clean break), and the freight examined the line and stopped at the break, then people had to arrive from god knows where by road (weather and rush hour conditions accepted)and go walkies to plate it.

What would happen if it was not a clean break?

dk1

Veteran Member

No idea what issues it causes Manor Park-Maryland passengers but operationally from a railway operating view it's the best option available due to limited paths & massive throughput. These locals have several other options not least the two legs that the good Lord gave most of them.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Slight tangent. Will Maryland ever be closed through proximity to Stratford? Or at least removed from the peak timetable?

Sadly not. There is a specific clause in the Crossrail Act requiring it to remain open.

dk1

Veteran Member
Sadly not. There is a specific clause in the Crossrail Act requiring it to remain open.

Madness that it was allowed to stay considering how close & the expensive SDO mods required here. To think we only thought it survived to serve the fare evading scum after ticket gates where installed next door.

westv

Established Member
Chelmsford 5 deep for the whole length of the 12 car platform just around 08.00 this morning. Even a 12 car 321 couldn't collect them all. No chance of boarding at Ingatestone. Now that is busy, wonder what the total weight of the train was.
When I lived there, I hated commuting from Chelmsford. Always loads too many people.

Sleepy

Established Member
Chelmsford badly needs new Springfield station so that more starters can be run without ecs runs to Witham etc as happens now.

Panupreset

They were still carrying out inspections of the UM about 2100. There was an epic General Broadcast last night 'this is the Stratford signaller, delays are occurring in the Stratford area and are expected to continue until February when the engineers finally give up possession!'

Status
Not open for further replies.