• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

District line closure Thursday to Sunday

Status
Not open for further replies.

TrainGeekUK

What exactly are they doing on the District line to warrant the four full closure days west of Earls Court?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Dstock7080

Established Member
“Renewing track and drainage. We are installing 91 metres of new drainage pipe in the 6 foot, through the platform between 12b and 24b points, however the pipe is wider than the gap between sleepers on eastbound and westbound roads. To allow the team the room to dig a wide enough trench for the drainage, the track on the eastbound road is being removed and replaced.”

PsychoMouse

TFL service status website seems a bit all over the place today. Nothing about the District being part suspended and none of this weekend's planned works showing.

thomalex

This has been a bit of a disaster.

To be fair to TfL they’ve put on a lot of Rail Replacement buses the problem is they seem to be going from Hammersmith not Earls Court so you need to get on the Piccadilly for 2 stops and then switch onto a bus. They also are extremely slow getting out of Hammersmith getting stuck is all the congestion on King Street due to the cycle lane. What was a journey getting to Chiswick of 5 minutes from Hammersmith on the tube is taking about 25 minutes on a mainly stationary bus.

The other annoyance is Turnham Green where TfL didn’t seem to know if Piccadilly trains were stopping there or not. There’s been conflicting advice from them on Twitter such as this:

“Hi, the Piccadilly line will be stopping at Turnham Green station. Information on planned engineering works or disruptions to our network are published on our website”

But having tried this the train sailed straight through to Acton Town. Doesn’t seem much of an ask when a large area of London is cut off from the tube on a weekday they might stop the Piccadilly services at Turnham Green?

Checking CityMapper last night it seemed services were now stopping at Turnham Green, I guess as they usually do in the early morning/late evening so it was pointless getting the bus. Why isn’t this communicated along with times this will be happening? Although to be honest I’d be surprised if it even happened given the station was locked up during the day.

So yes a bit of a mess all round really.

Last edited:

MatthewRead

On Moderation

To be fair to TfL they’ve put on a lot of Rail Replacement buses the problem is they seem to be going from Hammersmith not Earls Court so you need to get on the Piccadilly for 2 stops and then switch onto a bus. They also are extremely slow getting out of Hammersmith getting stuck is all the congestion on King Street due to the cycle lane. What was a journey getting to Chiswick of 5 minutes from Hammersmith on the tube is taking about 25 minutes on a mainly stationary bus.

The other annoyance is Turnham Green where TfL didn’t seem to know if Piccadilly trains were stopping there or not. There’s been conflicting advice from them on Twitter such as this:

“Hi, the Piccadilly line will be stopping at Turnham Green station. Information on planned engineering works or disruptions to our network are published on our website”

But having tried this the train sailed straight through to Acton Town. Doesn’t seem much of an ask when a large area of London is cut off from the tube on a weekday they might stop the Piccadilly services at Turnham Green?

Checking CityMapper last night it seemed services were now stopping at Turnham Green, I guess as they usually do in the early morning/late evening so it was pointless getting the bus. Why isn’t this communicated along with times this will be happening? Although to be honest I’d be surprised if it even happened given the station was locked up during the day.

Exactly I made a thread about this and I got lame excuses about trains having to run at reduced linespeed between Hammersmith and Acton Town and they need to inhibit congestion but that's not true because there are no engineers on the line. Plus I mentioned this on the WNXX forum and got lame excuses I told them an extra 2 minutes isn't going to kill by stopping at Turnham Green and besides the Elizabeth Line takes 25 minutes to Central London from Heathrow where as the Piccadilly line takes 40. You should write to BBC London News and get it on one of their headlines it's a wonder it hasn't happened already.

MatthewRead

On Moderation

This is what WNXX told me
How would stopping the Piccadilly line at Turnham Green prevent buses from “clogging up” Chiswick High Road when they still need to serve all of the stations…?

Or is this in fact just a continuation of your personal crusade to have trains stop at Turnham Green, despite you having been told many times here and elsewhere why that isn’t possible under the current signalling arrangements

I've been told that if the Piccadilly line stops at Turnham Green it reduces the frequency from 23 to 18 trains per hour which has a massive effect on the timetable through the core section. Having said that they have done it in the past but not since 2016 which was the last time they stopped with just the middle 2 tracks in use. Unfortunately I can't reply to the message and refer you quote in because I'm on moderation!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.