• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Disused platform question

Status
Not open for further replies.

spark001uk

Established Member
Just a quick one. Immediately before reaching p1 at Crystal Palace, there's a fairly long, and almost intact platform visible through the undergrowth (adjacent to Maberley Rd). What was it originally? I can't find much online, but all I can take a guess at is either Upper Norwood, or the original location of the Palace platforms?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Veteran Member
This is on the left coming from Norwood Jn/Beckenham Jn I presume?
I have always assumed that it was alongside a long-gone carriage siding (lost since at least the early 60s). Alternatively, a retaining wall, though it looks like a platform I must say.
Don't think there was ever a station called Upper Norwood (as opposed to CP and...), and I can't see why there would have been a temporary station there (the first line to the Palace being from Sydenham).

Looking at the relevant area on old-maps.co.uk - you may need to zoom out to get the maps to show. If you are talking about the area between the Anerley Rd bridge and the current P1, it looks like there was a loading dock there for goods traffic from at least 1879 till 1970. Further back towards Norwood Junction/Birkbeck there looks to have been a refuge siding in the cutting by Maberley Rd.

spark001uk

Established Member
Yes it's on left as you approach Crystal Palace p1 coming from Norwood Jn. It looks to be at least a 12 car platform in length, and it does butt right up to the Anerley Rd bridge, though those last few stones appear to be missing. It seems to be a track's width away from the line so that would suggest a loading bay as you say. Just at first glance wondered if it used to be the previous position of p1, being in such close proximity to the existing one.

Veteran Member
just at first glance wondered if it used to be the previous position of p1, being in such close proximity to the existing one.
But a considerable distance from the station building, and the wrong side of an overbridge to boot.

spark001uk

Established Member
But a considerable distance from the station building, and the wrong side of an overbridge to boot.
That is the case now, yes, but it may well have all been different back when the platform was built.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
I wonder if it was a turnback siding, with a walkway so staff can change ends. I think I've seen similar structures, similar to platforms but narrower, at other stabling sidings on the third rail network.

XDM

A pure guess. Could it have been a turn back siding for excursion trains to Crystal Palace, a venue which literally millions of people visited by train from all over Britain? The platform would have allowed the stock to be cleaned & made ready for lengthy return trips.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
I wonder if it was a turnback siding, with a walkway so staff can change ends. I think I've seen similar structures, similar to platforms but narrower, at other stabling sidings on the third rail network.
Old OS maps of sufficient detail show a long length of single track siding all the way along there, south of the road bridges. The NLS side by side 25” map shows the S&C reasonably well, also shows the apparent loading dock siding nearer the station and the existing P1. This is a similar view to that in post #3 but seems to scale up more.

http://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/side...=51.4137&lon=-0.0726&layers=168&right=BingHyb

Veteran Member
That is the case now, yes, but it may well have all been different back when the platform was built.

It wasn't, because the station was already there when the line past the siding was opened

A pure guess. Could it have been a turn back siding for excursion trains to Crystal Palace, a venue which literally millions of people visited by train from all over Britain? The platform would have allowed the stock to be cleaned & made ready for lengthy return trips.

I'd go with the second of these, owing to the lack of a facing crossover at the end of the station platforms.
Or possibly just an extra carriage siding - there were several at CP in my younger days, including the two down bay platforms on the Beckenham Jn/Norwood Jn side, but I don't go back to 1936! :)
Thanks to swt_passenger for the map link.

spark001uk

Established Member
Is it any clearer on this map?
Yes that's much better cheers (I was finding the map selection on NLS a bit tricky to navigate). I notice the siding looks like it didn't continue under the bridge, rather ended either side of it. Extends quite a way south. Not sure what that dotted line beside it is, I assume by the OS key that it's a fence or path? Doesn't appear to be marked as a platform. I noted there's a loading gauge there too.

Status
Not open for further replies.