• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Disused siding

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wally

Hello,there's a disused siding of Coalville line near ashby,it can be seen from A511 as it goes under the road and comes to a halt with flattened buildings on 1 side and what look like old street lamps on other side.does any1 know when siding was last used and what for.thanx

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

kentuckytony

Without a posting of a Google map for clarification, I will only hazard a guess.
There appear to have been two junctions around Ashby (De-La-Zouch) in times past.

One was a Midland line on up to Chellaston, closed in 1955.
The other was part of the Burton & Ashby Light RW line closed in 1927.

My wild guess is that what you are looking at was part of the first one, the Midland Line.
This is because just north of Ashby there was a very short branch to something only referred to as "Works" north of town.

[Reference - The Railways of Great Britain - A Historical Atlas Volume 1 Second Edition.]

Maybe this remnant is somewhat retained.

Or I could be totally wrong. But just wanted to try to guess as a casual armchair Yank.

Wally

Thanx 4 replies,I've google earthed sidings but no info.it is just north of ashby just b4 main roundabout so you could both be right- the works or coal sidings.I'm fascinated by that line and it's branches,as well as all the coal workings hauled by 20s I remember an early morning ballast always hauled by an immingham 31(rare 2 see one in Leicester area) and also there was a tues/thurs 2am ish bitumen train hauled by a Wigan 40!

Status
Not open for further replies.