• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Diversionary routes into Glasgow Central

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peregrine 4903

Established Member
There seem to be a huge amount of potential diversionary routes from the WCML into Glasgow Central north of Law Junction.

The potential routes seem to be:
Law Junction to Uddingston via Wishaw and Bellshill
Law Junction to Shieldmuir via Wishaw (Can't imagine this is ever used by Avanti, TPE, LNER or Cross Country as a diversionary route)
Law Junction to Rutherglen East Junction via Wishaw, Holytown, Whifflet and Carmyle
Law Junction to Newton West Junction via Wishah, Motherwell and Hamilton Central
Motherwell to Uddingston via Bellshill
Mothwerwell to Rutherglen East Junction via Whifflet and Carmyle
Newton East Junction to Newton West Junction via Newton
Newton West Junction to Bridge Street Junction via Burnside and Mount Florida
Newton West Junction to Bridge Street Junction via Burnside and Shawlands

You could combine the Cathcart circle ones with the Hamilton diversion too.

From scanning RTT I've tried to work out who out of Avanti/TPE/Cross Country/LNER sign which route.

So far I've worked out:

Avanti:

TPE:
Law Junction to Rutherglen East Junction via Wishaw, Holytown, Whifflet and Carmyle

What I was wondering is does anyone have a full list of what diversionary routes can actually be used by Avanti/TPE/Cross Country/LNER?

Apologies if there are some mistakes in this as Scotland is not my patch at all.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Falcon1200

Established Member

You could also combine the Cathcart Circle ones with these;

Law Junction to Shieldmuir via Wishaw (Can't imagine this is ever used by Avanti, TPE, LNER or Cross Country as a diversionary route)

What I was wondering is does anyone have a full list of what diversionary routes can actually be used by Avanti/TPE/Cross Country/LNER?

Probably not ! We in NR Control didn't, if any of the diversions became necessary we had to check with each affected TOC.

Peregrine 4903

Established Member
You could also combine the Cathcart Circle ones with these;

Probably not ! We in NR Control didn't, if any of the diversions became necessary we had to check with each affected TOC.
It must be handy to have that many different routes into Glasgow Central. If particularly there is disruption at Motherwell should be theoretically possible to divert around it with relatively little delay.

Peter0124

Established Member
It must be handy to have that many different routes into Glasgow Central. If particularly there is disruption at Motherwell should be theoretically possible to divert around it with relatively little delay.
If theres disruption at Carluke though then the only potential way of getting to Glasgow would be running up to Midcalder Junction and reversing, which I am unsure has happened before.

Falcon1200

Established Member

Yes indeed, as long of course as all the Traincrew involved have the necessary route knowledge ! For example, more than once points have failed at Newton blocking the main line but with a route available via the station, only for the Driver of the first train affected to sign for the main line only. Frustrating is not the word......

If theres disruption at Carluke though then the only potential way of getting to Glasgow would be running up to Midcalder Junction and reversing, which I am unsure has happened before.

That is true of course, on occasion services bound for Glasgow have simply been diverted to Edinburgh when the line was blocked between Carstairs and Law Jc.

route101

Established Member
Not heard of Avanti, LNER or TPE going via Shawlands/Maxwell Park. Scotrail have on occasion non stop from Lanark etc. I have been on XC that went via Shotts, Hamilton and Mt Florida.

Bill57p9

There is an Avanti ECS from Edinburgh to Polmadie via Shotts (and Edinburgh sub), presumably to retain route knowledge.

IIRC Avanti ran via the short side of the Cathcart Circle to Newton during engineering work earlier this year.

Way back I remember experiencing this route on a WCML express in the 87+mk3s days.

APT618S

On a southbound Pendo from Glasgow Central a few years back we went via Hamilton, northbound through Motherwell and round via Holytown to join the normal route at Law Jn.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
There seem to be a huge amount of potential diversionary routes from the WCML into Glasgow Central north of Law Junction.

The potential routes seem to be:
Law Junction to Newton West Junction via Wishah, Motherwell and Hamilton Central
Mothwerwell to Rutherglen East Junction via Whifflet and Carmyle
Newton East Junction to Newton West Junction via Newton
Newton West Junction to Bridge Street Junction via Burnside and Mount Florida
Newton West Junction to Bridge Street Junction via Burnside and Shawlands

From scanning RTT I've tried to work out who out of Avanti/TPE/Cross Country/LNER sign which route.

So far I've worked out:

Avanti:

TPE:

Apologies if there are some mistakes in this as Scotland is not my patch at all.
For TPE it's not possible to use any of the other alternatives at present, due to route knowledge lapsing

For XC they sign from Glasgow to Edinburgh via Shotts but they may not sign Law Jn to Uddingston. I don't think they sign any of the others .

Avanti sign via Hamilton Central including via Motherwell the 'wrong' way and then via Mossend south/east.

Wishaw to Shieldmuir may only be ScotRail at present.

Avanti in theory sign the Cathcart circle, but it's unclear if they have retained that knowledge

Tyrion

For TPE it's not possible to use any of the other alternatives at present, due to route knowledge lapsing

For XC they sign from Glasgow to Edinburgh via Shotts but they may not sign Law Jn to Uddingston. I don't think they sign any of the others .

Some Of them sign Law to Uddingston.

LNER have no diversions at all which on the rare occasion causes chaos, I know of a driver that sat outside Motherwell for 2 hours recently on up due to not signing Uddingston to Motherwell diversion.
If you sign core route then one or two fail safes should be built in.
Avanti sign via Hamilton Central including via Motherwell the 'wrong' way and then via Mossend south/east.

Wishaw to Shieldmuir may only be ScotRail at present.

Avanti in theory sign the Cathcart circle, but it's unclear if they have retained that knowledge

Peter0124

Established Member
Also I don't think 390s are cleared via Carmyle (and the E&G) therefore the ECS service that runs that way is removed from December as it runs as a 390 now instead of Voyagers.

Status
Not open for further replies.