• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

DLR 039 stock query

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kite159

Veteran Member
Evening everybody

I've got a silly question regarding DLR unit number 39, I've been out a few times on the network over the past few months on the lookout for it (as it be my last one for sight) and so far it has evaded me. I was wondering if it is long term out of service? [or have I just been unlucky not to have seen it out and about on the network or luring outside Poplar depot]

Thanks in advance

(Sorry if this is in the wrong sub-section, couldn't decide between Other Public Transport or the London Underground section)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Clip

Established Member
Ill see if me lass can find out but its probably in for a big exam at Beckton if you've been hunting for it.

Lrd

Established Member
You could ask in "Traction and rolling stock" if no one sees it here

Kite159

Veteran Member
I've got an answer from someone on Twitter, that unit 039 has been sat at Beckton depot for the past 3 years "mothballed".

Onto my "Long term out of service" list it goes, no wonder why I haven't had any luck in sighting it :)

djpontrack

I've got an answer from someone on Twitter, that unit 039 has been sat at Beckton depot for the past 3 years "mothballed".

I was out and about on the DLR last weekend and 039 is one of the last units I need for haulage, no wonder that I didn't see it.
3 years is a long time to be "mothballed". Did your contact mention if there's any plans for 039 to return to service?

Chris M

I expect that it is serving as a convenient source of spares to keep other units running. Given that it's one of the earliest constructed units and that TfL expect to order replacement stock this summer, my guess is that future service is unlikely unless another B90/92/2K unit is involved in a serious incident.

Kite159

Veteran Member
I was out and about on the DLR last weekend and 039 is one of the last units I need for haulage, no wonder that I didn't see it.
3 years is a long time to be "mothballed". Did your contact mention if there's any plans for 039 to return to service?

Message said:
Regarding your message about DLR 039. I'd cross it off your list, been mothballed for 3 years, unlikely to see service again.

My original tweet to DLR was along the lines of "is unit 039 out today?" with a response of "we have checked and it is in Beckton Depot today and won't be out".

My guess is like that Glasgow Subway unit (122), it will never return to service and be used as a source of spare parts, getting scrapped when the new stock starts arriving

Status
Not open for further replies.