• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

DLR - PSA (28/06/21)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Lewlew

Galvanize

Says based at Poplar which is true, but from someone I know who used to be a DLR PSA, you cover all the routes, but your shift can start (and finish) at either Poplar or Beckton Depots depending on the services you are diagrammed to work!

desrudy

On Moderation
£40,097.37 per year, £36,087.63 during training

is this the salary for this role?

In 2016 :

Passenger Service Agents were paid a salary of circa £42,000.

In 2021 :

The salary range from £45,953 - £47,798 ( Base Pay Average £46,295 ) , plus benefits (salary is reduced to 50% during training)

Last edited:

Jaytrains

In 2016 :

Passenger Service Agents were paid a salary of circa £42,000.

In 2021 :

The salary range from £45,953 - £47,798 ( Base Pay Average £46,295 ) , plus benefits (salary is reduced to 50% during training)

That’s a good salary for a role like this

Gman

Current salary for the role is £48k once productive (12 weeks). Payrise next year in April 2022 of RPI plus 0.25% The last year of a 5 year pay deal the RMT agreed back in 2018.

Shifts can start as early as 0400 or finish as late as 0200 at either Poplar or Beckton Depots.

During the pandemic revenue activities for PSAs were suspended but be aware this is an integral part of the role during 'normal' circumstances. Issuing of penalty fares is also part of revenue activities.

However as with any role on the railway your safety and that of your passengers is the number one priority.

Lewis5949

What kind of staff pass do they get and what does it cover?

EDIT: And can you apply for internal TfL vacancies too or is KAD considered seperate in this regard? I know there is a Sharepoint site under TfL for KAD stuff, aka with a KAD email you must be able to access TfL stuff, hence asking about vacancies

Lewlew

Fairly certain Overground are considered external to TfL so can't apply for internal TfL jobs and are employed by Arriva. Guessing that DLR will be a similar arrangement.

sp98

Apologies if this is an obvious question, but is this a driving role? Seems as it is from the description saying you would be operating the train, but just a strange job title in 'passenger service agent'.

Bucephalus

Apologies if this is an obvious question, but is this a driving role? Seems as it is from the description saying you would be operating the train, but just a strange job title in 'passenger service agent'.
The trains are automated so usually you would walk around and check tickets etc. However, if that fails, you have to drive it manually

Gman

What kind of staff pass do they get and what does it cover?

EDIT: And can you apply for internal TfL vacancies too or is KAD considered seperate in this regard? I know there is a Sharepoint site under TfL for KAD stuff, aka with a KAD email you must be able to access TfL stuff, hence asking about vacancies
You get a staff tfl oyster, for you.

Some uncertainty as to whether you still get a nominee pass; some TFL vacancies on the TFL web site only advertise a staff oyster for you.

DLR is run on a franchise basis by KeolisAmey Docklands on behalf of TFL.

Similar to the Arriva arrangement on London Overground.

Lewis5949

I've heard differing things on the nominee pass too, and seen older threads questioning the pension. Still no confirmed answer on internal TfL vacancies particularly given the DLR has documents like Standard Operating Procedures hosted on a TfL Sharepoint site, but I'm guessing not.

I spent 20 minutes with a PSA over the last few days, and while keeping this light to not dox them without consent, they find the job okay but hate the company. Short turnaround times (I witnessed 4 minutes at Stratford International) with practically no time to use the toilet, no real support if things go wrong particuarly on the router edges of the routes, some of the mirrors and monitors have been broken for years and never fixed, trains can get dangerously hot in summer and concerns raised to the company not addressed... and when the new trains come which will be fully walk through like the District line, there will be no place of safety, which currently is the fact the PSA can move between the physically seperated/coupled units. And then of course there's the scum, fare evasion and powerless revenue (which is suspended now due to covid but will return) checks that keep honest people honest and you can't do squat against evasion (not that's realistic anyway - is an evader going to give you their name and address? No.). Also felt that although some say the role is overpaid, given the combination of duties - driving, shunting, customer service and revenue - feels it's underpaid. And of course the "driving" you do doesn't make you a qualified driver that you can use with another TOC who advertise for qualified drivers. Overall they make you work hard for your money.

That is only one persons opinion and obviously doesn't reflect what everyone thinks, but other than a pay increase it doesn't sound any better than my current role and company. Mixed thoughts at the moment.

Established Member
I've heard differing things on the nominee pass too, and seen older threads questioning the pension. Still no confirmed answer on internal TfL vacancies particularly given the DLR has documents like Standard Operating Procedures hosted on a TfL Sharepoint site, but I'm guessing not.

I spent 20 minutes with a PSA over the last few days, and while keeping this light to not dox them without consent, they find the job okay but hate the company. Short turnaround times (I witnessed 4 minutes at Stratford International) with practically no time to use the toilet, no real support if things go wrong particuarly on the router edges of the routes, some of the mirrors and monitors have been broken for years and never fixed, trains can get dangerously hot in summer and concerns raised to the company not addressed... and when the new trains come which will be fully walk through like the District line, there will be no place of safety, which currently is the fact the PSA can move between the physically seperated/coupled units. And then of course there's the scum, fare evasion and powerless revenue (which is suspended now due to covid but will return) checks that keep honest people honest and you can't do squat against evasion (not that's realistic anyway - is an evader going to give you their name and address? No.). Also felt that although some say the role is overpaid, given the combination of duties - driving, shunting, customer service and revenue - feels it's underpaid. And of course the "driving" you do doesn't make you a qualified driver that you can use with another TOC who advertise for qualified drivers. Overall they make you work hard for your money.

That is only one persons opinion and obviously doesn't reflect what everyone thinks, but other than a pay increase it doesn't sound any better than my current role and company. Mixed thoughts at the moment.

Personally, having used the DLR a fair bit, I have to say this role looks like the worst of all worlds, and must be very monotonous given the scope of the DLR network.

I’d rather be a guard at traditional TOC (most can earn in that ballpark with commissions etc. AIUI). One possible benefit to this role might be as a foot in the door to eventually get on as a T-op with LU, as I assume they will have access to the internal vacancy list and safety critical experience.

Although, if that’s the ultimate goal, I’d still rather get on as a guard and then apply for driver vacancies with a TOC!

Bucephalus

... One possible benefit to this role might be as a foot in the door to eventually get on as a T-op with LU, as I assume they will have access to the internal vacancy list and safety critical experience.

KeolisAmey and London Underground are separate so there'd be no benefit. Might be possible to transfer to Manchester Metrolink though.

Tallguy

It’s still 42k a year after training. That’s decent money in the current economy, in my opinion.

Lewis5949

As much as the salary appears good (sure, good money, but they make you work very hard for it and it's basically 4 jobs in 1 - guard, driver, shunter, revenue), I've decided after the chat I had with an active PSA (typed above), that I'm not going to apply. I don't need to move in to another golden handcuffs job where they work you hard, and without TfL internal vacancies, there's limited progression there. Meh, I'll pass on this one!

notadriver

Established Member
Very good salary. Higher than a London bus driver or tram driver. There’s probably not much driving though.

Was this job actually advertised in July?

Last edited:

Kae

Hi guys. Iv passed the first online assessment but they have asked for my GCSE A-C certificates for the next stage but i dont have them as i did mine years and years ago. Is there anything i could do regarding that? Thanks in advance!

LSWR Cavalier

Established Member
Hi guys. Iv passed the first online assessment but they have asked for my GCSE A-C certificates for the next stage but i dont have them as i did mine years and years ago. Is there anything i could do regarding that? Thanks in advance!
Ask your school if it can confirm the qualifications, or ask the examining board (the school should be able to tell you which board it was).

I tried to get confirmation from my school, they no longer have the info, but it was 40+ years ago.

Kae

Ask your school if it can confirm the qualifications, or ask the examining board (the school should be able to tell you which board it was).

I tried to get confirmation from my school, they no longer have the info, but it was 40+ years ago.
My concern is as its the school holidays it will be difficult to get the information by 3rd September (set by Keolis Amey), taking into consideration its BH on Monday too. As i did mine over 20 years ago i have similar concerns as to wether the school will still hold my information...

My concern is as its the school holidays it will be difficult to get the information by 3rd September (set by Keolis Amey), taking into consideration its BH on Monday too. As i did mine over 20 years ago i have similar concerns as to wether the school will still hold my information...
Can i ask how you got around providing your qualification proof?

wils180

congrats, when did they tell you that you had passed?
I would recommend contacting the exam board, I think they offer differing levels of time taken to get back to you for more money.

LSWR Cavalier

Established Member
I wanted proof I had attended the school, but I could not even get that. Did not matter in the end, I am retired now.

Quite likely there are staff at the school even in the holidays, preparing for the new term. I suggest trying to contact them, several times if necessary. Talk to someone, explain briefly what you want, then send a mail. I bet you are not the only one who needs such information, they are probably familiar with such requests.

Kae

congrats, when did they tell you that you had passed?
I would recommend contacting the exam board, I think they offer differing levels of time taken to get back to you for more money.
Thanks! I got an email on Friday 27th . My concern is I wont be able to get the qualification proof by Friday 3rd as its also a bank holiday week.

Thanks! I got an email on Friday 27th . My concern is I wont be able to get the qualification proof by Friday 3rd as its also a bank holiday week.
Its been so long i dont even know who the examining bodies were. I know it was two different bodies but i rarely looked at the certificate in the past 20 years hence why i can't find it anymore

Lorraine

I find the whole process is quite and exciting im a bit nervous I may not have got it this time as I ran out of time on my online test by 5 questions so im very apprehensive
Has anyone got to the face to face yet
Also I saw on another thread, you have todo a maths and English test ?

Last edited:

Bucephalus

If I don't make a mistake u can call them at this number : 020 7363 9500
Fyi, this number goes through to a security firm. Nonetheless, it would have been nice for DLR to let me know if my application was unsuccessful

Status
Not open for further replies.