• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

DMU/EMU with snow blades?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TheEdge

Established Member
Quite a lot do, a quick google looks like the 150, 153, 156, 158, 170, 171 and 172 all have small ones fitted.

swaldman

I'm guessing that if there's any question as to how much snow, they'd rather have a light loco have to stop / use a spade / turn back / whatever than a service with passengers on?

I believe so too, the base of the blade has more clearance from the railhead. That is unless the WHL 156s have proper snowploughs, which wouldn't surprise me.

They just have the standard deflector blade like all the rest of the ScotRail 156 fleet.

alexl92

Established Member
Do 158s have them? They do have a deflector kind of thing to stop large objects going under but it’s not really a blade like 155s have, for example.

whhistle

On Moderation
I'm surprised trains don't have pipes blasting air in front of the train on to the tracks.
Simply blast the snow away...

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Even if you increased the rate of blast?
But when you get to aeroplane speeds [of blast], the train simply wouldn't move I guess :P

I suspect that for small amounts of loose snow it might work but if it was compacted or deep the pressure needed would be prohibitive. Sadly, my idea of fitting flame throwers was rejected.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I suspect that for small amounts of loose snow it might work but if it was compacted or deep the pressure needed would be prohibitive. Sadly, my idea of fitting flame throwers was rejected.
I expect it was shot down in flames along with my idea of retractable train skis.
There’s just not enough thinking outside the box these days...

Parallel

Established Member
Do 158s have them? They do have a deflector kind of thing to stop large objects going under but it’s not really a blade like 155s have, for example.
I’m not sure but GWR 158s have larger deflectors/ploughs than the SWR ones. I’ve got a picture somewhere of the 158s coupled, and you can see the difference!

Marklund

I guess Scotrail decided it was worth fitting plough shaped deflectors at some point.

6228.jpg

31366816764_1aefbf9752_z.jpg

brel york

The one on the Class 150 is called a snowplough, lifts on and off with fork lift truck (if you undo the bolts lol)

Chris125

Established Member
Even if you increased the rate of blast?
But when you get to aeroplane speeds [of blast], the train simply wouldn't move I guess :P

Jet engines have been tried, but it wasn't very practical - a blast strong enough to clear snow and ice won't be too kind to the track either.

Status
Not open for further replies.