• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Do any additional restrictions apply to All Line Rovers issued with Senior Railcard discounts?

Jan Mayen

Can anyone clarify what are the additional restrictions when using an ALR discounted with a Senior Railcard, please?
Many thanks

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Fawkes Cat

Established Member
Can anyone clarify what are the additional restrictions when using an ALR discounted with a Senior Railcard, please?
Many thanks
There are no additional restrictions.
Although note from https://www.nationalrail.co.uk/ticket-types/tickets/r07/ (expand 'Buying tickets - where, when and how to buy', then expand the information ('i' in a circle) section for 'Railcards' under 'Discounts')
See terms & conditions of individual Railcard for time restrictions.

Fawkes Cat

Established Member
That doesn't alter the fact that there are no additional restrictions applicable to the Senior Railcard.
Oh good! Time to discuss angels dancing on the head of a pin!

It rather depends on whether you consider
Many thanks
refers to additional to those restrictions that already exist on (a) the ALR or (b) a Senior Railcard.

If (a) then there are additional restrictions which a non-Railcard user would not face on an ALR. If (b) then there aren't any further restrictions above those that a Senior Railcard holder already faces - but I would suggest that it does no harm to point out that the existing Senior Railcard restrictions also apply to an ALR as much as any other ticket.

Haywain

Veteran Member
it does no harm to point out that the existing Senior Railcard restrictions also apply to an ALR as much as any other ticket
OK, seeing as this thread is about the ALR could you explain what additional restrictions are imposed on the use of an ALR when it is discounted with a Senior Railcard?

Jan Mayen

Condition 4.2 of the Senior Tailcard was really what I was thinking about, where the All Line Rover is the ticket in question:

4.2. Discounts are not available on tickets for travel on morning peak services for journeys that start and end within the London & South East area (defined by the Network Railcard area – network-railcard.co.uk/map) on Monday to Friday (except on public holidays). The time when off-peak services start can vary by station. Use nationalrail.co.uk to plan your journey to identify when off-peak services start or ask rail staff for details.

My query would be is travelling Crawley to St Pancras then Kings Cross to York considered two journeys or one? If its two, then departure from Crawley must be off peak. If it's one, then you can leave Crawley whenever you like.

jfollows

Established Member
Condition 4.2 of the Senior Tailcard was really what I was thinking about, where the All Line Rover is the ticket in question:

4.2. Discounts are not available on tickets for travel on morning peak services for journeys that start and end within the London & South East area (defined by the Network Railcard area – network-railcard.co.uk/map) on Monday to Friday (except on public holidays). The time when off-peak services start can vary by station. Use nationalrail.co.uk to plan your journey to identify when off-peak services start or ask rail staff for details.

My query would be is travelling Crawley to St Pancras then Kings Cross to York considered two journeys or one? If its two, then departure from Crawley must be off peak. If it's one, then you can leave Crawley whenever you like.
Which is why I posted the link to the previous discussion in post 8 (now post 2) above.

Oh, and I think we concluded that it's one journey.

Last edited:

Haywain

Veteran Member
The text you quote specifically describes to tickets that the restriction applies to. The ALR is definitely not a ticket "for journeys that start and end within the London & South East area", any more than a ticket from Ipswich to Wellingborough, the latter of which could also be used for a journey entirely within the Network Railcard area.

Last edited:

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator

This does not apply to an All Line Rover.

In any case, if the holder of a Senior Railcard wanted to do a journey such as Bournemouth to Huntingdon, they could easily circumvent the restriction by purchasing a Bournemouth to Peterborough ticket, and finish short, but that isn't relevant to this thread.
The restriction does not apply from Crawley; it would only apply when boarding at King's Cross. But see the original thread for details regarding how to circumvent that.

Haywain

Veteran Member
The restriction does not apply from Crawley; it would only apply when boarding at King's Cross. But see the original thread for details regarding how to circumvent that.
I don't think the question was referring to time restrictions on tickets.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Whatever it referred to, there would be no time restriction from Crawley.

Haywain

Veteran Member
Whatever it referred to, there would be no time restriction from Crawley.
Unless the journey was using tickets with a split within the Network Railcard area, rather than an ALR.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Unless the journey was using tickets with a split within the Network Railcard area, rather than an ALR.
I was only replying to the specific post, which mentions "where the All Line Rover is the ticket in question"; you're quite right that if someone is asking about using different tickets, then the answer may well be different.