• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Do any TOCs still use paper window destination labels?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Western 52

With electronic displays in common use now, paper labels have largely died out as far as I can see. Are they still used anywhere though?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

route101

Established Member
LNER still do on 225 sets, was surprised to see them on set from Edinburgh other week.

Not seen any on Scotrail WHL services for a while.

Belperpete

Established Member
Wasn't there an accident awhile back where an accumulation of old paper labels jammed the door lock?

Western 52

Interesting that there is still some limited use of these labels, even in these electronic days. GWR used them last in our area on HSTs but gone now of course.

Back in BR days sticky labels were used for purposes other than destination. I remember train headcodes in brake van windows, presumably to assist station staff. Various reservation labels such as West Country Holiday Train come to mind. Maybe the most popular label was the one sometimes seen in first class carriages allowing use by those with second class tickets!

Sleepy

Established Member
The old Weekend 1st upgrade stickers 8-) (for £2 o_O) Funny how some became attached to 1st class compartments on a Friday night 2359 Paddington - Penzance. Pull down the blinds and you had a very cheap sleeper berth, no guard ever questioned it .......

StephenHunter

Established Member
Do they use paper now rather than the more usual European plastic re-usable signs placed in holders on the doors? Shame.

To be fair a proper metal one mounted on the outside of the coach is doing it properly! :)

I think they put the paper signs in plastic holders inside the doors.

As far as I'm aware;

GWR - Castle Class HSTs (single destination only) and Night Riv self adhesive in window
EMR - For Ex LNER HSTs in plastic holders **
LNER - For the few remaining 91 and MK4s in plastic holders in door
Scotrail - For HSTs Inter7City (These are single destination, but are vinyl not paper)

Of course this is down to the staff actually attaching them

** Not sure if these are actually in use yet but some have appeared on a welll known auction site, so they do exist

dk1

Veteran Member
It seems ridiculous now but back in INTERCITY days a member of platform staff was booked on at Norwich 08:30-17:00 who's sole responsibility was to remove & replace the darn things.

Iskra

Established Member
It seems ridiculous now but back in INTERCITY days a member of platform staff was booked on at Norwich 08:30-17:00 who's sole responsibility was to remove & replace the darn things.

I always felt sorry for the staff members who had/have to put out the seat reservation labels on some of the longer IC trains. Must be a monotonous task. I suppose the more sociable hours of that particular shift you mention probably made it more attractive a proposition.

dk1

Veteran Member
I always felt sorry for the staff members who had/have to put out the seat reservation labels on some of the longer IC trains. Must be a monotonous task. I suppose the more sociable hours of that particular shift you mention probably made it more attractive a proposition.
On the more glamorous long distance routes enthusiasts & the like would have helped as they often kept them as a souvenir especially the names examples.

Status
Not open for further replies.