• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Do strikes apply to all railway staff across the network, or just specific roles?

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
Not always. They can't always keep up

Seems like it has been to me. Maybe not for the first few where it was a mix of RMT (NR or TOC) and ASLEF but now its mostly copy and pasting the strike timetable into the relevant day and start of service/end of service for the surrounding days.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

WAB

That’s normally all done by train planning, presuming the strike has been called enough in advance.
When whichever planners are available run out of time, it gets bumped to control. Some TOCs are worse than others.

Somewhere

When whichever planners are available run out of time, it gets bumped to control. Some TOCs are worse than others.
And if planning have done half a job, controllers don't know what needs doing

6Gman

Established Member
One of my early jobs involved taking the "control sheet" to the Control Office. This was the list of required moves that had arrived too late for us to arrange in train planning.

I very quickly learnt to put it on their table and exit as quickly as possible before they had time to check how long it was!

:D

Stuart-h

Not if they're on zero hour contracts and no trains are running, they won't.
Depends on the grade on zero hours.
Im a trackman on zero hours. If we dont turn in for a shift we dont get payed. Strike or not.