• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Do we have any Kings Cross power box signallers here?

Status
Not open for further replies.

smartemarte

Hi everyone

I was just wondering if we had any of the above on these forums? I've just found out I've got an interview for a kings cross panel when it moves to York, The issue is I haven't got a day off before it otherwise i'd organise a visit to the power box!

I'm trying to find information on the companies that run there, any unique workings, what location each panel is for etc but I'm not having much luck on google.

I've found a simulator that has some information on it but I want to make sure the information is correct with which panels are in there.

I've got the LOM's number but he hasn't got back to me but to be fair I know how busy he must be dealing with everything so my call will be at the bottom of his list of things to do!

any help would be appreciated!.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
If your external non signaller you won’t be asked about the panel, you will be asked about NWR in general though. Key projects which are ongoing or forthcoming etc.

smartemarte

I'm already a signaller I just didn't get the invite for interview until rather late! I'm at the other side of the country otherwise I would have had a visit then came home for my shift but I won't be able to make it!

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
Ah right, you’ll get all the “this is the situation, what would you do” type questions I found them much easier than the standard NTS centred ones.

When I did my internal interview from ROC to ROC I wasn’t asked about the location, route yes and the safety culture slogan etc

smartemarte

It's more just to let them know I've done my research, i hate not being able to visit the box before going for it! I was trying to find out if there was any single lines, what sort of crossings (guessing alot of UWC) I found a bbc video that explained some of the locations which has given me a start atleast.

contrad!ction

It's more just to let them know I've done my research, i hate not being able to visit the box before going for it! I was trying to find out if there was any single lines, what sort of crossings (guessing alot of UWC) I found a bbc video that explained some of the locations which has given me a start atleast.

Simsig is as accurate a simulator as you could hope for - it looks fairly similar to WestCAD so would give you a good idea as to what the workstations would look like (ish) and how the controls work (ish)

I did get asked in my (internal signaller) interview what I knew about the location and roughly what area it covered/main features etc but I wouldn’t stress too much - unless it’s for your own interest - especially as the workstations don’t actually exist yet.

If you did want to know more then the LNE sectional appendix is your bible but you’d be better off prepping for the competency specific questions in my opinion.

Make sure your rules are up to scratch as well - concentrate on the usual suspects (track circuit failures, points failures, SPADs etc...)

smartemarte

Simsig is as accurate a simulator as you could hope for - it looks fairly similar to WestCAD so would give you a good idea as to what the workstations would look like (ish) and how the controls work (ish)

I did get asked in my (internal signaller) interview what I knew about the location and roughly what area it covered/main features etc but I wouldn’t stress too much - unless it’s for your own interest - especially as the workstations don’t actually exist yet.

If you did want to know more then the LNE sectional appendix is your bible but you’d be better off prepping for the competency specific questions in my opinion.

Make sure your rules are up to scratch as well - concentrate on the usual suspects (track circuit failures, points failures, SPADs etc...)

Brilliant! Thanks for that, I've been so busy going through my regs that I didn't even think of the sectional appendix How stupid of me!

Status
Not open for further replies.