• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Do you have any model railway projects on the go?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peter C

Established Member
Not only do I have plenty of books, but I worked on BR in Devon in the Blue days.
Oh sorry - I didn't know that o_O [I was looking for more of a "D'oh!" emoticon but this is the closest I got] But I expect the layout will be much more realistic for it!

-Peter

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
That’s excellent :)
That's a very nice little model. I had a lighthouse on my layout at one point - it came from a holiday down in Cornwall a few years ago and was quite nice. Yours looks much more prototypical and to-scale :lol:

-Peter
Thanks! No idea where the lighthouse originally came from, it just landed in my room when the room next door was having a tidy/clear out.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Thanks! No idea where the lighthouse originally came from, it just landed in my room when the room next door was having a tidy/clear out.

I love lighthouses. Very cool. :)

Peter C

Established Member
Haha :lol:
So much of my modelling stuff seems to have just appeared from seemingly nowhere - I've got loads of cardboard boxes, all cut up and waiting to be used, and then quite a few Pringles tubes (although that might be easier to explain - I haven't been doing these home exercises during lockdown to say the least...)

-Peter

fourtytwo

Hello, can I join your thread :smile: I have been stalking it for a while o_O
I am a fairly new member here interested in the prototypical natter but I am also a modeller, gave up N gauge after 35 years last year then got the itch again earlier this year so decided to start in OO from scratch. This is my latest incarnation of the trackplan about 60% track laid and stock acquisition proceeding slowly.

It's steam era after the BR de-grouping and road freight scuppered by very high diesel costs that also forced this form of traction off the railways! The layout is designed to be dismantled in case of a house move and the baseboards are flat-world allowing for simple re-use for a different layout. The layout is operated by tank locomotives hence no turntable.

There can be up to three operators, passenger station, goods yard & traverser but through cab control they can be combined (DC operation). Semaphore signalling (eventually) all points servo operated with PIC16F877 controller written in assembler, positions programmed via USB serial port. Controls just a row of toggle switches representing signal box levers with diagram on the wall, I have found graphical control panels to large for small layouts in the past. Track power is traditional rectified AC with emitter follower.

Roger
gyreworkb-1.png

reddragon

Established Member
I am a fairly new member here interested in the prototypical natter but I am also a modeller, gave up N gauge after 35 years last year then got the itch again earlier this year so decided to start in OO from scratch. This is my latest incarnation of the trackplan about 60% track laid and stock acquisition proceeding slowly.

It's steam era after the BR de-grouping and road freight scuppered by very high diesel costs that also forced this form of traction off the railways! The layout is designed to be dismantled in case of a house move and the baseboards are flat-world allowing for simple re-use for a different layout. The layout is operated by tank locomotives hence no turntable.

There can be up to three operators, passenger station, goods yard & traverser but through cab control they can be combined (DC operation). Semaphore signalling (eventually) all points servo operated with PIC16F877 controller written in assembler, positions programmed via USB serial port. Controls just a row of toggle switches representing signal box levers with diagram on the wall, I have found graphical control panels to large for small layouts in the past. Track power is traditional rectified AC with emitter follower.

Roger
View attachment 98603
You are welcome to join us and comment in the general and our own specific railways. We do like to joke & banter a bit.

fourtytwo

That looks very good, what geographical area is it set in?
Thank you Iskra , Ahh that's the question I am trying to avoid at least for the time being as I wish to use an eclectic range of stock, hence the de-grouping idea. It would be a town somewhere that is both agricultural and industrial to justify the range and size of freight trains and probably not coastal.

You are welcome to join us and comment in the general and our own specific railways. We do like to joke & banter a bit.
Thank you reddragon, I certainly don't take my modelling that seriously, something to enjoy without being a stickler is my style :smile:

Peter C

Established Member

Roger
View attachment 98603
Hello! Welcome to the forum. We don't bite, promise :lol:
That layout certainly sounds interesting - and the trackplan looks to have lots of operating potential there too. The traverser is something I've not seen done on an awful lot of layouts, especially personal ones (most of the ones I've seen are on club layouts). The method of controlling the layout is just the sort of thing I'd love to do on a layout in the future. Sounds as though you've got loads already planned/set up!
As @reddragon says, us modelling lot do like to have a joke and there's plenty of banter to go around. Being one of the smaller communities on the forums means it's also so much easier to keep track (pun not intended ;)) with what others are doing, which is good.

-Peter

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator

Roger
View attachment 98603

Looks really good Roger. Plenty of operational interest and a convincing looking track layout too. Please keep us updated and welcome by the way.

Nick

fourtytwo

There are so many good layouts here, a real inspiration and some great pictures :smile: One of the problems I have starting from scratch in a new gauge is I have so far no buildings or other scenic items, normally I am able to populate a new layout with the basics fairly quickly to get an idea of how things will pan out, of course if I invested in expensive planning software rather then the free stuff I expect it would be able to do it! I have resorted to paper cutouts for things ATM :rolleyes: Actually until quite recently I had no stock either but things are looking up with two tank loco's, 4 carriages and about 20 wagons so far (some non-runners that do as static scene fillers). When I first moved to this house 15 years ago I used an entire room for a huge semi-automatic N-gauge layout BUT gradually it dawned on me most of the mainline served to wear out all the vehicles and expend most of my available running time cleaning it, so I downsized to half the room with similar but reduced problems hence selling the lot about 18 months ago. Now this L-shaped OO layout fills about 1/4 of the same room with SWMBO claiming the rest for domestic purposes (I had extreme difficulty with my planning application for what I now have and had to use all sorts of bribes that I would rather not talk about;)). So here is the traverser with some track
P1160921.JPG
Here is the station area, tracklaying in progress
P1160953.JPG
A platform using hardboard as the surface but as you can see the edges are a bit rough to say the least so may have to do something else here
P1160979.JPG
One of my signal box style control panels
P1160935.JPG
And a home made servo mount from aluminium angle
P1160927.JPG

Peter C

Established Member
There are so many good layouts here, a real inspiration and some great pictures :smile: One of the problems I have starting from scratch in a new gauge is I have so far no buildings or other scenic items, normally I am able to populate a new layout with the basics fairly quickly to get an idea of how things will pan out, of course if I invested in expensive planning software rather then the free stuff I expect it would be able to do it! I have resorted to paper cutouts for things ATM :rolleyes: Actually until quite recently I had no stock either but things are looking up with two tank loco's, 4 carriages and about 20 wagons so far (some non-runners that do as static scene fillers). When I first moved to this house 15 years ago I used an entire room for a huge semi-automatic N-gauge layout BUT gradually it dawned on me most of the mainline served to wear out all the vehicles and expend most of my available running time cleaning it, so I downsized to half the room with similar but reduced problems hence selling the lot about 18 months ago. Now this L-shaped OO layout fills about 1/4 of the same room with SWMBO claiming the rest for domestic purposes (I had extreme difficulty with my planning application for what I now have and had to use all sorts of bribes that I would rather not talk about;)). So here is the traverser with some track
View attachment 98625
Here is the station area, tracklaying in progress
View attachment 98626
A platform using hardboard as the surface but as you can see the edges are a bit rough to say the least so may have to do something else here
View attachment 98627
One of my signal box style control panels
View attachment 98628
And a home made servo mount from aluminium angle
View attachment 98629
All very, very nice indeed. That platform looks to be a good length and will definitely make for interesting operation. The traverser's also really cool - as is the lever frame you've made!

-Peter

fourtytwo

Hi Peter, thank you once more, the platforms and the traverser are designed for 4 coach plus a bit trains, when I first started I did not even know how long an OO coach is (a surprisingly hard to find detail)! The lever frame reminds me of my childhood where not many things on a layout were electrically operated so those that were had extremely simple levers many made to look like signal box levers but some switches the old dome dolls house type and of course you had to learn the box, part of the fun operating friends layouts that you had not grown up with so to speak. One problem I am beginning to realise is the switches can end up in an illogical order once alterations are made....... but then maybe that's part of the fun (prototypical c*ckups become legion :lol:). Anyway must shut-up and let everyone else have a go!
Roger

reddragon

Established Member
I have found that new track and only wiping it clean results in minimal cleaning works. Once a month I vacuum then wipe with baby wipes, that's it.

NEVER use one of those abrasive cleaners, they make the track dirty and rough to collect more dirt!

Train wheels I use a Dremel with a polishing head. . . .

Peter C

Established Member
Hi Peter, thank you once more, the platforms and the traverser are designed for 4 coach plus a bit trains, when I first started I did not even know how long an OO coach is (a surprisingly hard to find detail)! The lever frame reminds me of my childhood where not many things on a layout were electrically operated so those that were had extremely simple levers many made to look like signal box levers but some switches the old dome dolls house type and of course you had to learn the box, part of the fun operating friends layouts that you had not grown up with so to speak. One problem I am beginning to realise is the switches can end up in an illogical order once alterations are made....... but then maybe that's part of the fun (prototypical c*ckups become legion :lol:). Anyway must shut-up and let everyone else have a go!
Roger
You're very welcome :)
That's something I hadn't thought about actually - I've always used OO gauge and so I suppose it would be the same in terms of coaches if I went down to N!
A lever frame is certainly a brilliant thing for realistic operation from what I've seen. Just with a real 'box, there are always things to do and numbers to remember :lol:
Don't worry about talking about your own layout - that's what the thread is for. But if you want, I'm sure @Cowley or somebody could move your posts to your own thread?

-Peter

Peter C

Established Member
I have found that new track and only wiping it clean results in minimal cleaning works. Once a month I vacuum then wipe with baby wiped, that's it.

NEVER use one of those abrasive cleaners, they make the track dirty and rough to collect more dirt!

Well that's my track done for then - I've been attacking it with a Peco or Gaugemaster track rubber for years!

-Peter

fourtytwo

I have found that new track and only wiping it clean results in minimal cleaning works. Once a month I vacuum then wipe with baby wipes, that's it.

It's great you have found a system that works for you, I ended up using MDF on edge soaked in IPA but I tried so many methods over the years I lost count! Wheels I was using cotton buds and IPA. In both cases if there were more than a few days between operating sessions the track would have to be cleaned again :( Maybe my addiction to external combustion doesn't help! Of course since Covid the cost of IPA has gone crazy!! I am saving up for a new 1Ltr bottle now but I might buy another Loco instead!!
You're very welcome :)
That's something I hadn't thought about actually - I've always used OO gauge and so I suppose it would be the same in terms of coaches if I went down to N!
A lever frame is certainly a brilliant thing for realistic operation from what I've seen. Just with a real 'box, there are always things to do and numbers to remember :lol:
Don't worry about talking about your own layout - that's what the thread is for. But if you want, I'm sure @Cowley or somebody could move your posts to your own thread?

-Peter
I am more than happy here if you nice people don't mind Peter :smile: I did once belong to a club who's O gauge layout not only had lever frames but bell codes were de-rigueur too o_O Just saw your post on track rubber Peter, I agree they scratch however I think thats less of a problem in OO, the bigger problem I found is the rubber accumulating on stock wheels.
Roger

Last edited:

Peter C

Established Member
I am more than happy here if you nice people don't mind Peter :smile: I did once belong to a club who's O gauge layout not only had lever frames but bell codes were de-rigueur too o_O Just saw your post on track rubber Peter, I agree they scratch however I think thats less of a problem in OO, the bigger problem I found is the rubber accumulating on stock wheels.
Roger
That club layout does sound cool. Although maybe a bit too realistic for me!
I did order a track-cleaning wagon from Rails of Sheffield (one of the Gaugemaster ones) - it's not yet arrived, despite ordering it several months ago - so hopefully that should make cleaning the track so much easier than it is now.

-Peter

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I’ve been a busy this last few days so I haven’t been on here much but I’ve got a question... :)

I’m wondering if anyone knows where I could get a white pen that would draw very fine white lines on clear plastic?
Basically to draw out some factory window frames but it’ll have to be ultra fine and permanent...

Peter C

Established Member
I’ve been a busy this last few days so I haven’t been on here much but I’ve got a question... :)

I’m wondering if anyone knows where I could get a white pen that would draw very fine white lines on clear plastic?
Basically to draw out some factory window frames but it’ll have to be ultra fine and permanent...
Would this be the kind of thing you're after @Cowley? It's got a 1mm tip but apparently gives a 0.5mm line: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Pilot-420101250L-Supercolour-Extra-Marker/dp/B00FMXWU0I
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Pilot-420101250L-Supercolour-Extra-Marker/dp/B00FMXWU0I said:
1624471665503.png
Price: £3.89
  • Permanent marker
  • Extra-fine flex-resistant acrylic fibre tip
  • Write on a variety of surfaces
  • 1.0 mm tip gives a 0.5 mm line
I've no idea if it'd work for what you wanted, but it's the thinnest-line-drawing pen I could find from a quick search.

-Peter

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator

Peter C

Established Member
As always Peter you’ve been very helpful. :)
I’ve just ordered it so let’s give it a go!
I should try this more often - imagine the hilarity which would ensue if I could persuade anyone to buy any old tat... ;)
Do let us know how it goes - I might look into getting one myself if it's any good.

-Peter

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator

Yes that looks good too. I’ve found one on eBay for a good price so I’ll get that as well and see which one works best. Thanks @reddragon.

Basically I want to redo one of the warehouses on the layout which currently just has a printed front and looks a little bit ‘South Park’...
So the plan is to draw out the windows (23 of them) on some clear plastic and then clad over the top of them with brick plasticard.
It work but it might not. At least it won’t cost much trying it though. ;)

I should try this more often - imagine the hilarity which would ensue if I could persuade anyone to buy any old tat... ;)
Do let us know how it goes - I might look into getting one myself if it's any good.

-Peter

I’ll keep you posted and try not to blame you if it doesn’t work...

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I know that I’ve gone a bit quiet on here recently but it’s due to me biting the bullet and having a major rebuild of my warehouses.
This is proving somewhat challenging!

85875632-5D2A-40E5-98F7-62A78F7FDDF1.jpeg

Peter C

Established Member
I know that I’ve gone a bit quiet on here recently but it’s due to me biting the bullet and having a major rebuild of my warehouses.
This is proving somewhat challenging!

View attachment 99516
That looks to be quite the bit of work, even from that one photo @Cowley :lol:
How are you going to rebuild them? I seem to remember you saying you weren't too keen on the original fronts?

-Peter

Status
Not open for further replies.