• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Does an Excess follow Splitting Rules?

Status
Not open for further replies.

6Gman

Established Member
Query:

I hold a Manchester - Euston ticket. While in Manchester I meet a young lady and spend the night in Runcorn (unplanned) :D . I now want to travel from Runcorn. Can I "excess" for the Runcorn - Crewe section? Does my train have to stop at Crewe?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Query:

I hold a Manchester - Euston ticket. While in Manchester I meet a young lady and spend the night in Runcorn (unplanned) :D . I now want to travel from Runcorn. Can I "excess" for the Runcorn - Crewe section? Does my train have to stop at Crewe?
The question sounds muddled, but hopefully I can clarify! :)

For example, if you held a Manchester - London Off Peak Return (£83.90) you could try obtaining an overdistance excess to convert that fare into a Runcorn - Euston Off Peak Return but I suspect you are likely to find your request refused.

Instead you would probably be offered a single to Crewe for £6.80, however you could alternatively obtain a refund and purchase a new ticket. This would cost £10.

If you sought the issuing of a replacement ticket at the original point of purchase they may waive the admin fee, but probably not.

In the unlikely event of you being issued an excess fare, this would apply:
Ticketing and Settlement Agreement (TSA) said:
“Excess Fare” means a variation in the Rights and Restrictions applicable to a Fare which has the impact of converting that Fare into another Fare

In the event of you being issued a Runcorn to Crewe ticket to combine with your Manchester to London ticket, and no other ticket was held, then Condition 14.1 would apply:

National Rail Conditions of Travel (NRCoT) said:
14.1 Unless shown below, you may use a combination of two or more Tickets to make a journey provided that the train services you use call at the station(s)where you change from one Ticket to another. [ie Crewe in this case]

Merseysider

Established Member
Fares Advisor
If you can get yourself to Runcorn East station, a single to Warrington BQ is £3.10 and the train takes less than 10 mins.

Man-Eus is valid via WBQ so you could use your existing ticket on Virgin from WBQ south. The connection's a bit tight for the fast (4m) but should be possible.

That doesn't apply if you hold an advance

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.