• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Does anybody remember the Freedom of Anglia Rover?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Old Yard Dog

Established Member
Can anybody help me as I am having a mental block? My missus is confident that we did the Harwich line in 1992, but I haven't coloured it in in my Baker. So I searched through my old ticket box and found a 7-day "Freedom of Anglia Rover" from 1992, a bargain at £29.50, and a contemporaneous saver from Chester to Peterborough.

From this I deduce that the now defunct FoA rover must have extended to Peterborough, unlike today's "Anglia Plus 3 in 7". My question is - did the Freedom of Anglia Rover also extend to Harwich Town (as I can't find a separate ticket for that line)? A second question is were there regular through workings from Ipswich to Harwich in 1992 or did nearly all the Harwich trains go from Manningtree?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Ken H

On Moderation
Yes. I managed to get one off the guard on a brum-ipswich train as I started at Nuneaton. Went all the way to Ipswich. then felixtowe, back to westerfield, then up to Lowestoft. Across to Norwich then back to peterborough and on to nuneaton.

PeterC

Established Member
I remember using the 1970s incarnation for a "staycation" when SWMBO and I had a new mortgage. Back them it certainly did include the Harwich branch as we visited the branch. I can't remember if it went to Peterborough but I don't think that it did as we would probably have visited.

Status
Not open for further replies.