• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Does anyone know what this strange light is?

Zander trains

I came back from a holiday and noticed that there was a new weird yellow signal thing on the railway. I have never seen this before and it also flashes randomly which I noticed one night. Does anyone know what it is used for? Some days it flashes some days it doesn’t and I have tried to find a link to what it may be and I can’t seem to figure it out.

Attachments

• IMG_5019.jpeg
    IMG_5019.jpeg
    4.7 MB · Views: 449
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

CEN60

Light indicating a TSR - Temporary Speed Restiction

tedbaker

Known as an EROS board, for ‘Emergency Restriction of Speed’, colloquially known as a dalek.

This will be placed 180m in advance of the advance warning for an emergency speed restriction. There will be an AWS magnet associated with it.

It should be flashing all the time. Any indicator not flashing requires the driver to stop and report to the signaller.

alxndr

Established Member
If it's not flashing the battery has gone flat, or has a loose connection somewhere.
Should be a regular flashing pattern as well, if it's not then that possibly suggests something loose.

Mechy

Light indicating a TSR - Temporary Speed Restiction

Close. It's an Emergency Speed Indicator, colloquially known as "Dalek". It indicates the approach to an unpublished Emergency Speed Restriction (ESR).

Annetts key

Established Member
Oh and the light should be two white lights arranged vertically, with both flashing simultaneously.

Established Member
I came back from a holiday and noticed that there was a new weird yellow signal thing on the railway. I have never seen this before and it also flashes randomly which I noticed one night. Does anyone know what it is used for? Some days it flashes some days it doesn’t and I have tried to find a link to what it may be and I can’t seem to figure it out.

It should be flashing all the time it’s in place. If not it’s reportable in a similar way to a signalling irregularity, and subsequent trains can be stopped and warned.

It can be hard to see the flashes in some lighting conditions, so that may be why it appears to be operating intermittently.

Zander trains

It should be flashing all the time it’s in place. If not it’s reportable in a similar way to a signalling irregularity, and subsequent trains can be stopped and warned.

It can be hard to see the flashes in some lighting conditions, so that may be why it appears to be operating intermittently.
ah right. When I took this picture it wasn’t flashing I don’t think, but it might have been the lighting like you said.

ComUtoR

Established Member
Close. It's an Emergency Speed Indicator, colloquially known as "Dalek". It indicates the approach to an unpublished Emergency Speed Restriction (ESR).

Metal Mickey...

chuff chuff

Was stopped at signal to be told of one of these wasn't flashing,they said such and such isn't flashing and I asked what isn't flashing. A such and such then he said a 'dalek',ah I've got you now I replied.