• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Does TfL really not care about the travel I undertook on a cancelled contactless card?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ijmad

Established Member
So a bit of background: my Monzo card was damaged, so I ordered a replacement. It arrived, and I used the app to swap over to it as the active card in the evening. The next morning, I went to work as usual. I used Apple Pay (associated with the Monzo account) to pay for a trip on London Overground. It was only when I went to buy lunch that I realised that Apple Pay was still associated with the old card, as the cafe told me it was declined. Oops!

Anyway, logging in to TfL's contactless portal, I can see the old card account is indeed locked out, but there seems to be no option to 'make good' and pay for travel in the morning. I e-mailed them and all they replied with was yeah, the card's locked out, you can't travel with it. Yeah thanks, I can see that.

So, I still owe TfL about £4 for the day of travel. I feel like I've inadvertently committed fare evasion here, and am surprised there's no simple way to pay the balance with the new card. Is this really the case? Seems crazy. In my case, they know who I am and have my details because I use the portal. Do I really just get a free morning of travel out of them for making this mistake?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Just about the only annoyance of Monzo is that you can't get a replacement card for a damaged (rather than lost/stolen) one and keep the same number, as you can with most banks. That and cheque imaging.

But that aside, I half recall that it will automatically take the debt from the new card registered on the account at some point?

Status
Not open for further replies.