• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Doncaster Sheffield Airport to reopen?

pug1

Thanks, you obviously have some sort of insider information that I don't have. One thing I will say is that I'm surprised it was a noticeable impact flying an extra 30 miles to DSA over Humberside, but I suppose small jets are very efficient these days.
When arriving into Humberside from the east you can drop out of the airways somewhere around Skegness and in theory complete a continuous descent. When arriving into DSA from the east I seem to recall stepped descents to the DSA overhead before then joining downwind before establishing on the localiser. In effect it’s a lot more track miles, certainly more than 30!

Still, that’s not the leading factor it was just one of many that were offered to me. Main reason is the origin and ultimate destination of the passengers using the Humberside klm service. 76% in the core Humber region, 12% in Lincolnshire. Why would you move it? KLM tried to establish at Liverpool and East Midlands and those services didn’t last long, why would DSA fair any better given as we’ve already mentioned, the catchment area isn’t as large.

I’m not saying they wouldn’t entertain the idea should DSA reopen, certainly it will be on the radar of any budding operator who wants to offer passenger flight. However things are changing and environmental policy in the Netherlands is likely to restrict slots at Amsterdam which will have a knock on to their regional services. The Humberside link has been operating continuously for 50 years now, they even appear to be wet leasing some eastern airways jets this summer to operate the Humberside and Teesside flights whilst they themselves struggle with aircraft availability issues.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

AlastairFraser

Established Member
When arriving into Humberside from the east you can drop out of the airways somewhere around Skegness and in theory complete a continuous descent. When arriving into DSA from the east I seem to recall stepped descents to the DSA overhead before then joining downwind before establishing on the localiser. In effect it’s a lot more track miles, certainly more than 30!

Still, that’s not the leading factor it was just one of many that were offered to me. Main reason is the origin and ultimate destination of the passengers using the Humberside klm service. 76% in the core Humber region, 12% in Lincolnshire. Why would you move it? KLM tried to establish at Liverpool and East Midlands and those services didn’t last long, why would DSA fair any better given as we’ve already mentioned, the catchment area isn’t as large.

I’m not saying they wouldn’t entertain the idea should DSA reopen, things are changing and environmental policy in the Netherlands is likely to restrict slots at Amsterdam which will have a knock on to their regional services. However the Humberside link has been operating continuously for 50 years now, they even appear to be wet leading some eastern airways jets this summer to operate the Humberside and Teesside flights whilst they themselves struggle with aircraft availability issues.
Ah, so it's to do with fuel management during the process of landing, makes sense. Thanks for informing me.

The Humberside passenger count makes a lot of sense with the historical trading and cultural links between the east coast and the Dutch ports.
As for KLM's policy, I can't see Humberside going, I could see them leaving LBA soon though.

pug1

Ah, so it's to do with fuel management during the process of landing, makes sense. Thanks for informing me.

The Humberside passenger count makes a lot of sense with the historical trading and cultural links between the east coast and the Dutch ports.
As for KLM's policy, I can't see Humberside going, I could see them leaving LBA soon though.
I don’t see them dropping LBA, they recently increased rotations to 4 x daily (although I think that’s since reduced back to 3 due aircraft shortage) and Leeds is a strong market for them. Sadly the Humberside passenger figures have not yet recovered to pre-covid levels which is slightly concerning, probably a drop due to work from home and use of Teams. Having said that I’ve used the service a few times in the last couple of years and, although purely anecdotal based on my own experiences, the majority of passengers appear to be travelling on business and presumably therefore on company money paying £££. Yield I’m told is quite strong.

Killingworth

Established Member
Two page spread in the weekly Sheffield Telegraph today repeating what will probably have been in the daily Star for both Sheffield and Doncaster earlier this week.

Doncaster-Sheffield Airport: Major step toward re-opening airport with £138m for 10-year plan,
By Stephanie Bateman
Published 5th Feb 2024, 14:03 GMT

See; https://www.thestar.co.uk/business/...-airport-with-ps138m-for-10-year-plan-4505692
South Yorkshire’s Mayor, Oliver Coppard, has announced that the region will take a major step toward re-opening the airport (DSA) and allow for a 10-year plan to drive economic growth in Doncaster, subject to the decision of the Mayoral Combined Authority Board next Tuesday, February 13.
Fifteen months since DSA was closed by owners Peel Group, the Mayor, City of Doncaster Council and the Mayoral Combined Authority (MCA) have been working tirelessly in the interests of the public and businesses in South Yorkshire to find a way to re-open it that is legally and financially sound and protects the taxpayer.

Last summer, the MCA awarded City of Doncaster Council £3.1 million to prepare an Outline Business Case to take control of the airport through a leasing arrangement, re-establish operations under a new business model, and use the asset as an anchor for growth at the wider Gateway East site to support economic regeneration and benefits to the city and region as a whole.

South Yorkshire’s Mayor, Oliver Coppard, has announced that the region will take a major step toward re-opening Doncaster-Sheffield Airport (DSA).

South Yorkshire’s Mayor, Oliver Coppard, has announced that the region will take a major step toward re-opening Doncaster-Sheffield Airport (DSA).

People Born 1943-1972 Without Life Insurance Could Be Eligible For This People Born 1943-1972 Without Life Insurance Could Be Eligible For ThisBritish Seniors

The Outline Business Case, published today, states that re-opening the airport provides the best opportunity to secure economic growth and well-being not just in Doncaster but will have wider benefits for South Yorkshire as a whole.

Business case for reopening airport is published​

City of Doncaster Council will have £138 million made available by the MCA via Gainshare to support economic ambitions including as outlined in the Doncaster Place Investment Plan which includes South Yorkshire Airport City and Gateway East. Elements of activity could also be supported from other MCA funding that has been set aside to support this project.
Ultimately, significant investment is going into Doncaster to help it pursue the jobs, growth and opportunity it wants, and it will be local and regional residents and businesses who will benefit.
South Yorkshire Mayor Oliver Coppard.

South Yorkshire Mayor Oliver Coppard.

Crucially, the Outline Business Case is built on creating a sustainable airport hub with the airport anchoring a sector specific focus on aviation-related advanced manufacturing, advanced engineering and the growing jet-zero and decarbonisation industries.

Applied research is one of South Yorkshire’s core strengths as evidenced through McClaren, Boeing, Rolls-Royce, and Hybrid Air Vehicles choosing to locate in the region, and the opportunity exists to locate the next wave of advanced manufacturing at Gateway East connected to global markets through a reopened DSA.

Airport would be linked to £160m ‘Investment Zone’​

Linking the return of aviation to the UK’s first Investment Zone worth £160 million with a focus on advance manufacturing could present significant opportunities for businesses and communities in Doncaster and the wider region, helping address long term challenges in productivity, worklessness and low wages, and poor life outcomes that hold South Yorkshire back.
Doncaster Shweffield Airport back in 2020.

Doncaster Shweffield Airport back in 2020.
The MCA Board is being asked to approve the recommendation to work up a Full Business Case which could be completed as soon as spring 2024. If this happens and a suitable operator is found, South Yorkshire could be well on its way to seeing DSA re-open.

City of Doncaster Council will continue to lead on the negotiation with airport owners and the procurement exercise to attract a new operator and public investment remains contingent on the successful completion of those negotiations. The MCA will continue to provide strategic advice and support to the council in relation to the wider regeneration of the development of the Gateway East site to support a reopened airport.

‘Economic case is compelling’​

South Yorkshire’s Mayor, Oliver Coppard, said: “These proposals represent a major step towards re-opening our airport and delivering a 10-year plan for South Yorkshire Airport City at Gateway East; not only re-opening our airport but creating an internationally significant, sustainable aviation and advanced manufacturing hub in Doncaster.
“This is part of our plan for growth across our whole region, delivering long term benefits for Doncaster and the whole of South Yorkshire, with a thriving regional airport at its heart.
“Getting to this point has not been easy. I’ve always said reopening our airport would take time and huge amounts of hard work.

“But the plans we are putting forward at next week’s MCA meeting are a significant step in the process of reopening DSA.
“No ambitious plan is without risks, but alongside the other leaders in South Yorkshire, I believe the economic case is compelling.
“That cannot mean a blank cheque or a bad deal, so we are rightly following a process that is underpinned by robust governance. We’ve seen in other parts of the country what can go wrong if we don't put transparency, accountability and the interests of taxpayers at the forefront of our thinking.
“I'm determined to get a good deal for our community, to do this work properly no matter the hurdles, so we can deliver a long-term plan for our airport and South Yorkshire Airport City. That’s exactly what this next step allows us to do.”
Advertisement
Hide Ad

Mayor Ros Jones, City of Doncaster Council, said: “Saving and reopening our airport is my number one priority, I am pleased to say that lease negotiations continue to progress positively, and I am confident that we can agree a deal, but we are not over the line yet.
“Our airport represents incredible opportunities for Doncaster and South Yorkshire. City of Doncaster Council have entered the next stage of the procurement process, which is progressing as planned, with the aim of appointing an operator in the Spring.
“I never wanted our airport to close, it did not have to be this way, as a council we did all within our power, including offering to purchase the airport from the current landowners which was rejected.
“We are following our carefully managed plan; this is yet another step in the right direction for us to see planes flying again from our airport.”

Gainshare

Gainshare funding refers to the money committed to South Yorkshire through the Devolution Deal agreed by the MCA, South Yorkshire local authorities and government.​

The devolution financial settlement totals £900 million to be released by Government to the MCA in £30 million annual allocations over thirty years. The money is received in capital and revenue allocations on a 60:40 ratio. This means that each year the MCA receives £18 million of capital and £12 million of revenue funding. The MCA received its first allocation of funding in 2020.​

Funding was earmarked to each plan on a per-capita basis, with £138 million earmarked to Doncaster, to be released in twenty-six annual instalments of c.£5.3 million each year as funding was received by the MCA from financial year 2024/25 onwards.​

In June 2022 the Doncaster Place Investment Plan was submitted and endorsed by the MCA Board. This Plan set out the broad growth ambitions for Doncaster, covering requirements to invest in the city, its towns, villages, and key employment sites. The South Yorkshire Airport City proposal featured prominently in this Plan.​

Timeline of activity​

2017 – Award of £1.24m grant to DSA to support increased cargo capacity, funded from the MCA’s Business Investment Fund​

2018 – Opening of the Great Yorkshire Way airport link road, part funded from the MCA’s City Region Investment Fund (£13m)​

2019 - Advance of a £3.5m loan to support airport growth, funded through the MCA’s Business Investment Fund​

2020 – Advance of a further £5.0m loan to support new airport growth activity, funded through the MCA’s Business Investment Fund​

2021 – Recognition of the importance of the airport in the MCA’s 20-year Strategic Economic Plan​

2022 March – Earmarking of £138m of MCA Gainshare funding to support Doncaster’s economic growth, to be made available in annual instalments of £5.3m from 2024/25 for 26 years​

2022 July – Peel undertake a ‘strategic review’ on the future of DSA​

2022 September – MCA offer bridging financial support to the Peel Group to enable operations to continue at DSA whilst a buyer was found​

2022 October – Airport Closed​

2022 October – MCA provides financial support to enable the judicial challenge on the decision to close the airport​

2023 June – MCA endorsement of the Doncaster Place Investment Plan in which DSA featured prominently​

2023 June – Agreement to award £3.1m of grant to Doncaster to prepare a business case to support the reestablishment of the airport​

2023 December – Receipt of the OBC for South Yorkshire Airport City and submission into assessment processes​

2024 February – Consideration of the OBC by the MCA Board.​

mpthomson

I'm not sure where this obsession that airlines are likely to leave LBA has come from. The situation is quite the opposite, as evidenced by KLM's increase in flights plus all the redevelopment/expansion work about to commence. That wouldn't happen if LBA weren't clear that the capacity would be used. No-one is leaving LBA.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
Certain airlines might transfer to DSA if the fees to use it were low (or possibly negative). But that wouldn't exactly help the economics.

Killingworth

Established Member
Oliver Coppard says 'Economic case is compelling.'

The consensus on here is near totally agreed, the business case is compellingly negative. Does he know something almost everyone else has missed? Some very big subsidies would be required to follow all the expenditure on preparing business cases. The time spent on them might be better applied to more viable projects.

There's no doubt Doncaster is growing fast, you can see all the new housing and industrial building when driving along the increasingly inadequate M18.

mpthomson

Certain airlines might transfer to DSA if the fees to use it were low (or possibly negative). But that wouldn't exactly help the economics.
It's all about catchment areas, much more than it is about low fees.

AlastairFraser

Established Member
I'm not sure where this obsession that airlines are likely to leave LBA has come from. The situation is quite the opposite, as evidenced by KLM's increase in flights plus all the redevelopment/expansion work about to commence. That wouldn't happen if LBA weren't clear that the capacity would be used. No-one is leaving LBA.
I envisage it happening if the plan to cut slots at Schiphol for environmental reasons succeeds.
The KLM links at Teesside, Newcastle and Humberside are far more well established, and 2 airports out of 3 have partially overlapping catchment areas with LBA.

I don't think other airlines will leave LBA - just KLM due to their specific circumstances.
My comments before about LBA were in the context of what would be needed to make DSA viable.

pug1

They were low before, it’s simply inconceivable that a reopened airport will be able to offer any better packages given the increased overheads (ground rent) and lack of ownership by the operating company, or indeed the Council.

It looks like the Council intend for the operator to be responsible for development costs over and above the capital reinstatement costs that are included in the £138million. Be interesting to see who they appoint out if the two operators they’ve apparently shortlisted as part of the tender process. They appear to be loosely following the Teesside blueprint, in the case of Teesside Eskern were brought in as a private sector operator, they rapidly pulled out way before the end of their initial term.

Oliver Coppard doesn’t have a clue. He’s going on record as stating that Peel wanted to close the airport and mismanaged it to enable them to do so. For a start it’s contrary to evidence, but I’m not sure how he thinks that kind of narrative in an open forum is going to help the ongoing talks with Peel to lease the site?

mpthomson

I envisage it happening if the plan to cut slots at Schiphol for environmental reasons succeeds.
The KLM links at Teesside, Newcastle and Humberside are far more well established, and 2 airports out of 3 have partially overlapping catchment areas with LBA.

I don't think other airlines will leave LBA - just KLM due to their specific circumstances.
My comments before about LBA were in the context of what would be needed to make DSA viable.
I'm not at all convinced by that argument, they may well cut flights at airports that are smaller, have less infrastructure and where the future is less secure. Teesside is is still losing money hand over fist at the moment. And again, we come back to catchment areas. Teesside and NCL are very close to each other in that sense, LBA has a much larger catchment population for them, which is why they've increased their foothold there.

westv

Established Member
I imagine, in an ideal world, airlines would like all their aircraft leaving from one airport in the UK!

pug1

I imagine, in an ideal world, airlines would like all their aircraft leaving from one airport in the UK!
No, in an ideal world the destination airports in Spain, Turkey and Greece would not be slot constrained! If they weren’t, and slots weren’t a premium, there may be a slightly more favourable outcome for secondary airports like DSA. They want to serve the large city regions and all are covered now, including South Yorkshire by virtue of its location relative to Manchester, East Midlands and Leeds. DSA would be a nice to have, particularly for us Hull folk, but the catchment area in these parts does not offer rich pickings so we just have to accept that. It does not provide a compelling argument for airlines invest their expensive assets (aircraft, staff, slots!) into airports like DSA.

I'm not at all convinced by that argument, they may well cut flights at airports that are smaller, have less infrastructure and where the future is less secure. Teesside is is still losing money hand over fist at the moment. And again, we come back to catchment areas. Teesside and NCL are very close to each other in that sense, LBA has a much larger catchment population for them, which is why they've increased their foothold there.

I agree, Teesside, Humberside they would both be pulled before LBA in any scenario that sees KLM downsizing their regional connections.

It’s a great shame but also something that I think needs retaining as if they were to go, nobody else is likely to replace them. Those routes from Humberside and Teesside, although smaller in passenger numbers, arguably contribute far more to their local economies than an airport like DSA which was purely tasked with taking people and their money on holiday.

Western Lord

If you are going to turn old air force bases into airports, how about turning Elvington into Yorkshire International. 10,000 foot long runway and enormous apron (both courtesy of the USAF in the fifties) and more aligned into the prevailing winds than LBA.

trebor79

Established Member
If you are going to turn old air force bases into airports, how about turning Elvington into Yorkshire International. 10,000 foot long runway and enormous apron (both courtesy of the USAF in the fifties) and more aligned into the prevailing winds than LBA.
That ship has long since sailed.
Same with Filton, which would have been a far better choice as Bristols airport than Lulsgate which was literally built on the worst possible position to train pilots to operate in tricky conditions such as fog and crosswinds. It's also horrible to get to either by road or public transport.

But, we are where we are.

AlastairFraser

Established Member
I agree, Teesside, Humberside they would both be pulled before LBA in any scenario that sees KLM downsizing their regional connections.

It’s a great shame but also something that I think needs retaining as if they were to go, nobody else is likely to replace them. Those routes from Humberside and Teesside, although smaller in passenger numbers, arguably contribute far more to their local economies than an airport like DSA which was purely tasked with taking people and their money on holiday.
What are the actual passenger loadings like from Humberside/Teesside to Amsterdam?

pug1

What are the actual passenger loadings like from Humberside/Teesside to Amsterdam?
At the moment around 8000 per month, load factor at Humberside about 55-60% but with quite high utilisation of the premium seats. Not sure about Teesside, think it’s slightly less. Pre Covid Humberside was at around 11,000 per month.

AlastairFraser

Established Member
At the moment around 8000 per month, load factor at Humberside about 55-60% but with quite high utilisation of the premium seats. Not sure about Teesside, think it’s slightly less. Pre Covid Humberside was at around 11,000 per month.
Do you know what the load factor is at LBA?

AlastairFraser

Established Member
Jet2 is based at LBA and had 90% load factors in 2022.
I was referring to the KLM flights, apologies that I didn't clarify.
11,000 in November, but I think there were 4 x daily flights as opposed to Humbersides 3.
Thank you - so not much difference between the 2, I wonder if they'll keep the link to all and cut down on flight numbers per day instead.

stuartl

Sheffield City council have just introduced a new policy for the billboards they control which will ban advertising of many things, one of which is airlines and airports.

pug1

Sheffield City council have just introduced a new policy for the billboards they control which will ban advertising of many things, one of which is airlines and airports.
…and a day later the council announce a lease agreement has been signed for 125 years. The cynic in me questions why now, possibly because it’s a couple of days before purdah prior to local elections in May…

I want to see who they have found to operate it first, and under what terms. What will not help their cause though, is a clamp down on advertising in what is their core target audience!!

thejuggler

The lease was signed by Doncaster Council as the airport is within their area.

Our local TV news covered the story this evening, the telling line from Simon Calder was = 'its been many months since the airport closed and I'm not aware of anyone who has missed it being open'.

The story mentioned it being developed as an aviation research hub and business park. Sheffield has the Rolls Royce Advanced Manufacturing research centre so something to complement that may work.

Thankfully I'm not a Doncaster council tax payer who will be paying the bills until the project is completed.

Iskra

Established Member
It's probably great for making politicians look like they're delivering something, but beyond that it strikes me as a total waste of time and money. From my corner of Sheffield it will still be easier to get to Manchester, where there is also much better choice of flights and destinations.

pug1

The lease was signed by Doncaster Council as the airport is within their area.

Our local TV news covered the story this evening, the telling line from Simon Calder was = 'its been many months since the airport closed and I'm not aware of anyone who has missed it being open'.

The story mentioned it being developed as an aviation research hub and business park. Sheffield has the Rolls Royce Advanced Manufacturing research centre so something to complement that may work.

Thankfully I'm not a Doncaster council tax payer who will be paying the bills until the project is completed.

The irony being RR advanced manufacturing research centre is literally slap bang on the top of the old Sheffield City runway. So, why go to the expense of reopening an airport if you can have that same facility without an airport attached?

Rod Jones on Calendar news earlier was an embarrassment. When asked why it’s a good use of public money after the business was loss making throughout its entire history, all she could answer with was benefits to the regional economy.

Most airports are not economic drivers. They reflect the economy of the region they serve… Though they are a nice to have, they are also a burden when they cannot attract and retain the services required to sustain them.

JD2168

It would be good to do a lot of freight travel as the long runway is ideal for this area as it can take the largest Planes. The problem with customer travel is it’s not the best connected public transport wise as the X4 is hourly but the vehicles used are not set up for specific airport traffic & there is still the issue of no Train station.

sheff1

Established Member
Well Simon Calder never spoke to me. In fact, the only time I have seen him face to face was when he was trying to use a normal ticket on the Porto heritage tram despite clear signage saying they were not valid, so I take anything he says with a large pinch of salt.

Must say though that I don't miss Doncaster Sheffield as much as I miss Sheffield City - that was a vey useful airport indeed.

mpthomson

It would be good to do a lot of freight travel as the long runway is ideal for this area as it can take the largest Planes. The problem with customer travel is it’s not the best connected public transport wise as the X4 is hourly but the vehicles used are not set up for specific airport traffic & there is still the issue of no Train station.
It’s really not that long a runway. It’s mid-ranking in terms of length for civil runways in the UK. 747s landed and took off routinely at LBA on a much shorter runway for many years, so this idea that DSA has some advantage because of its runway is misplaced.

And that’s before we get to the fact that East Midlands, which is the regional air freight hub, is much better located in terms of major road and rail access. There isn’t any need for further freight provision currently.

The problem from a customer pov is that no major airlines want to make a major commitment to DSA as it offers them no advantage over more established airports in a similar catchment area (EMA, LBA and MAN). This isn’t a problem unique to DSA. Teeside and Humberside airports also struggle for exactly the same catchment area issues, although Teeside has a recent freight contract and also the RAF support airframes via Draken.

Last edited: