• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Doncaster to Aberdeen

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnnychips

Established Member
The two British cities I've never visited are Dundee and Aberdeen. I was thinking of leaving Doncaster early on Tue 14th, going to Aberdeen and staying the night. Then I would leave Aberdeen next day at a reasonable hour, stop off at Dundee, and arrive back at Doncaster late.

Using advances, I could get it down to £102 return (buying separate Don-Edb, Edb-Abd and vv tickets) but my desire to stop off in Dundee throws a spanner in it. In that case, if I buy a single, can I break the ABD-EDB journey at Dundee? Or is it just easier to buy an anytime return for £135 from DON-ABD and give myself more flexibility and 45 mins extra in bed on the first day as both the 0615 and 0700 connect to same Aberdeen train?

Any suggestions gratefully received.

John

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

First class

Established Member
Best to buy the flexible ticket if you want to break your journey.

£134.20 Off Peak Return, valid almost at any time except between 1.15am and 4.00am M-F. Return by any train, and you can break your journey.

If you leave Doncaster before 03:00am or after 09:30am, and will leave Aberdeen after 9.30am, then the Super Off Peak return is £123.50

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
In that case, if I buy a single, can I break the ABD-EDB journey at Dundee?
For Advance tickets, break of journey is not permitted.

For Anytime tickets, break of journey is always permitted.

For singles and outward portions of Off Peak tickets, break of journey is generally permitted but may be prohibited depending on the restriction code applicable to the particular ticket held. NRCoC states that where such a prohibition exists "the relevant Train Companies will make this clear in their notices and other publications" so if it is not made clear then this is not enforceable.

For the return portion of Off Peak tickets, break of journey is always permitted.

The only single fares I can see between Dundee & Edinburgh are either Advance or Anytime, therefore it's clear cut either way.

First class

Established Member
Some Off Peak tickets have return portion BoJ restrictions (with restriction KM & MK).

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Some Off Peak tickets have return portion BoJ restrictions (with restriction KM & MK).
But in my opinion these are not enforceable, and they go against a basic principle in The Manual. Which flows do these apply to? (London to...?) Perhaps a letter to the LM Pricing Manager will resolve it (if not, then ATOC, and so on until it's resolved). However if this is a mistake, and you can ask the relevant person to resolve it, we will not need to waste anyones time chasing this up :)

johnnychips

Established Member
That's really kind of you all to give such a quick response. If there was a bit more daylight, I might consider leaving later to take advantage of the £123, but I want to see Aberdeen in the daylight (hope it's worth it?!).

Thanks, John

reb0118

Established Member
Fares Advisor
:DHave you tried splitting the ABD - EDB section into two i.e. ABD -DEE & DEE - EDB? or even ABD - DEE & DEE - DON esp if returning on a through train from Dundee to Doncaster.

Personally I'd recommend the flexible off - peak fare as this keeps your options open. You could then make more stops on the return journey as required (obviously depending on time & lighting conditions). I came down from Aberdeen yesterday morning (09:07 dep) to Edinburgh and the scenery was spectacular (due to the perfect lighting conditions). My travelling companion stated "...why does anyone travel abroad when we have this on our doorstep?.....". This was especially true at Lunan Bay, the section from Carnoustie to Wormit, & the Fife Coastal Section. As you are travelling in the morning sit with your back to the engine (window seat obviously) for the best views as you head northbound.

Not to knock Aberdeen but personally I think there is more to do/see in Dundee. I fully expect some champions of the Granite City to leap to its defence - this will be good for the OP as he'll get different views and more local information. Aberdeen is a busy working city, the Scottish Oil & Fish capital, there's always something going on in the busy harbour. There is lots of Georgian & Victorian architecture to look at if that's your thing - esp down the wee side streets off Union Street. Old Aberdeen & St. Machars Cathedral are also worth a look. The station has recently been done up quite nicely too.

Dundee is a bit smaller and easier to get about. Don't be put out by the area immediately outside the station, however. Dundee has lots of interesting buildings in the town centre and is the home of Jute, Jam, & Journalism. You shouldn't miss Discovery Point the home of RRS Discovery the Dundee built converted whaler that Scott used for his ill-fated trip to the Antarctic. Dundee was the last town on the Island of Great Britain to be taken by frontal assault (1651 during the Wars of the Three Kingdoms) and this is commemorated in the Steeple church to be found by the Overgate Centre. Nice pub at the top of Union Street - the Trade Winds or Four Trades - can't mind as I'm sometimes four sheets to the wind when I venture in :D. Broughty Ferry is worth a side trip if you have the time now that the service has been increased.

Plusbus tickets are available for both cities.

Don't forget some of the smaller stations en route. Montrose with its large tidal basin for birdwatching, Arbroath with the ancient Abbey - also home of the famous smokey (yum!!), & Carnoustie a pleasant coastal town if you're into Golf.

Lots to do and see so my tip is stay flexible.

Have a great trip,

Cheers

marks87

Established Member
:DHave you tried splitting the ABD - EDB section into two i.e. ABD -DEE & DEE - EDB? or even ABD - DEE & DEE - DON esp if returning on a through train from Dundee to Doncaster.

Personally I'd recommend the flexible off - peak fare as this keeps your options open. You could then make more stops on the return journey as required (obviously depending on time & lighting conditions). I came down from Aberdeen yesterday morning (09:07 dep) to Edinburgh and the scenery was spectacular (due to the perfect lighting conditions). My travelling companion stated "...why does anyone travel abroad when we have this on our doorstep?.....". This was especially true at Lunan Bay, the section from Carnoustie to Wormit, & the Fife Coastal Section. As you are travelling in the morning sit with your back to the engine (window seat obviously) for the best views as you head northbound.

Not to knock Aberdeen but personally I think there is more to do/see in Dundee. I fully expect some champions of the Granite City to leap to its defence - this will be good for the OP as he'll get different views and more local information. Aberdeen is a busy working city, the Scottish Oil & Fish capital, there's always something going on in the busy harbour. There is lots of Georgian & Victorian architecture to look at if that's your thing - esp down the wee side streets off Union Street. Old Aberdeen & St. Machars Cathedral are also worth a look. The station has recently been done up quite nicely too.

Dundee is a bit smaller and easier to get about. Don't be put out by the area immediately outside the station, however. Dundee has lots of interesting buildings in the town centre and is the home of Jute, Jam, & Journalism. You shouldn't miss Discovery Point the home of RRS Discovery the Dundee built converted whaler that Scott used for his ill-fated trip to the Antarctic. Dundee was the last town on the Island of Great Britain to be taken by frontal assault (1651 during the Wars of the Three Kingdoms) and this is commemorated in the Steeple church to be found by the Overgate Centre. Nice pub at the top of Union Street - the Trade Winds or Four Trades - can't mind as I'm sometimes four sheets to the wind when I venture in :D. Broughty Ferry is worth a side trip if you have the time now that the service has been increased.

Plusbus tickets are available for both cities.

Don't forget some of the smaller stations en route. Montrose with its large tidal basin for birdwatching, Arbroath with the ancient Abbey - also home of the famous smokey (yum!!), & Carnoustie a pleasant coastal town if you're into Golf.

Lots to do and see so my tip is stay flexible.

Have a great trip,

Cheers
You are George Bradshaw and I claim my 5d :lol:

And I agree that Dundee is better...but then I would ;)

johnnychips

Established Member
Thanks reb0118 for some wonderful information. If I get the flexible ticket I can hang on a little and wait for the five day forecast to see if it might be dry. Does this part of Scotland get sea frets?

reb0118

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Thanks reb0118 for some wonderful information. If I get the flexible ticket I can hang on a little and wait for the five day forecast to see if it might be dry. Does this part of Scotland get sea frets?

Sea Frets? that's a new one for me. I will will take a random guess and say that's the same as Haar i.e. a thick sea mist/fog.
If that's what it is then yes unfortunately it does - esp. the Forth & Tay estuaries. It can be El Scorchio inland but a reet pea souper on the coast. It's mainly a summer thing though. Anyway if we let the weather dictate our days out in this country we would just as well stay in doors!

That's one more reason for a flexible ticket as you can get completely different weather a few miles down the road. Was also thinking the flexible ticket would be valid via Perth, Stirling, & Falkirk to give you an alternative route. You could go up one way and back the other. Just a thought.

Off to Aberdeen tomorrow -although working the train this time (16:29 up & 21:05 down). Any questions don't hesitate to ask,

Cheers.

Butts

Veteran Member
Thanks once again.

When you come out of Dundee Station you will be able to see "Discovery" Captain Scotts ship moored across the road - well worth a visit.

In Aberdeen The Maritime Museum is fairly near the station and well worth a visit.

Enjoy:p

W-on-Sea

Established Member
I must admit to not loving Dundee - but I do recommend, highly, a visit to a branch of Fisher & Donaldson's, possibly the finest bakery in the land
http://www.fisheranddonaldson.com/

Their fudge doughnuts are to die for! I miss them still almost 15 years since I last lived near a branch.

Butts

Veteran Member
I must admit to not loving Dundee - but I do recommend, highly, a visit to a branch of Fisher & Donaldson's, possibly the finest bakery in the land
http://www.fisheranddonaldson.com/

Their fudge doughnuts are to die for! I miss them still almost 15 years since I last lived near a branch.

You'll find Dundee has been "poshed up" around the Station and Discovery Centre in the last few years.

johnnychips

Established Member
Well Sod's Law, a relative's house I've been executor for has been on the market for eighteen months, and I've just - this evening - got a vaguely acceptable offer, so I'm going to have to sort that out. So the visit is now on the list for around Easter - it should be warmer and lighter. I'm really looking forward to it having read all the contributions, and if the sale goes through I might be able to go First Class! Thanks for the third time.

johnnychips

Established Member
Just an update: I will be making this journey on Mon-Tues next week and used advances to get the fare down from the £134-20 Return, though I obviously lose flexibility.

0615 Donny-Edinburgh c. £38 Advance Single (EC)
1027 EDB - Aberdeen c. £17 Advance Single (EC)

So I have an afternoon and evening in Aberdeen, and booked in a slightly more upmarket hotel than I normally would (the house sale is going through)

then

0907 ABD-Dundee Advance Single c.£7 (Scotrail)

a nice day in Dundee, then

1604 DEE-DON Advance First Single c. £50 (EC), where apparently I will be fed and watered.

Total c. £112

Thanks for all the fare tips, and I'm delighted with the tourist info in the above posts, which I will gratefully use.

John

Status
Not open for further replies.