• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Donnington Line Is Live!

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.shropshirestar.com/2009/02/10/first-train-rolls-on-to-new-line/

First train rolls on to new line

sd3086662la10rail-1.jpg

The Class 66 locomotive pulls into Telford railfreight terminal

The first train rolled into the new £9 million Telford International Railfreight Terminal today.

The locomotive was brought in via the connection to the national rail network at Wellington and was designed to test the facility, tracks and points prior to the terminal becoming fully operational in May.

The train was due to arrive at 11.38am, but was delayed due to hold-ups at Wellington and arrived just before noon.

Councillors and engineers were at Telford International Railfreight Park to witness the train arriving at the terminal – the first since the branch line was removed in 1993.

:D

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

The Planner

Veteran Member
Shame that none of the big freight players want to go in there as the costs are to high to use it !!

EE Type 3

Established Member
Blimey, they got that story up quick! And whoever took that photo should be shot, he's burnt out the wrekin! :o

The not so exclusive phots of mine will be up tomorrow ;)

I look forward to your shots!

Did the train go Telford-Wellington-Donnington or Shrewsbury-Wellington-Donnington? And if it came Telford-Wellington-Donnington did the 66 run round at Wellington? (From what I can see in the Shropshire Star photo the train is short enough to run round at Wellington.)

Last edited:

EE Type 3

Established Member
It came from Crewe via Salop, and trundled on in. A short photo shoot was held, then the consist went about trying out all the lines, as stated. From the looks of it it will be able to load two trains, with room for 4 in the holding sidings. There is talk of a shunter there too....

Cheers for the info. :)

Would that be the first shunter (non-preservation) based in Shropshire since, what, the late 1980s? (Coton Hill?)

If it's going to be an 08 or 09 I'll probably be spending rather a lot of time at Donnington in future, as I'm rather fond of the things. :lol:

32-114_1.jpg

The yard layout should be as per the approved plan:

http://www.telford.gov.uk/NR/rdonly...9EBD0080A2D7/25473/DevelopmentSites170708.pdf

(This is a 3Mb PDF document.)

Last edited:

The_Rail_WAy

Aha - found some photos! (Not mine.)

http://carlsgallery.fotopic.net/c1580013_25.html

Seems that the terminal has been built as per that PDF plan (see my earlier post) except that the single track which curves round the back of the existing warehouses/factory isn't complete (but the link is there, so I guess they can finish it if needs be). Looks great. :)

Great shots!

The site looks fantastic, really neat in tidy. The openess of the site, combined with the railways close relationship with the road reminds me of Trafford Park in a way.

Also love the train warning signs - why are steam engines still used in modern times? Never understood that one.

Bah, there had better be one - you've got me all worked up!

I say we go down there to the site manager's office and chant "we want an oh-eight and we won't wait!" ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.