• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Door conversion from one to two doors

joieman

Question of the day:
We all know that many buses are originally built with two doors and later in life converted to a single passenger door, but I wonder if the reverse ever happens: is a bus ever built with one passenger door and then later modified to have a second door? Seems somewhat unlikely as there is a plentiful supply of secondhand dual-door buses from London.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Volvodart

Established Member
Aberdeen Corporation Atlantean 120 received a second door when it became an exact fare bus trial.

Man of Kent

East Kent had AEC Swift/Marshalls and Leyland Nationals converted to dual door for Dover Docks shuttles in the 1970s/80s. The modular nature of the latter made it slightly easier.

Reading's Optare Spectras were allegedly built with provision for a second door to be retrofitted, including the necessary wiring. Occasional electrical faults that could not otherwise be traced were reckoned to be caused by this.

And as per another recent thread, Walsall's original centre-entrance Fleetlines later gained a front door.

Bristol converted some R.E's to dual door buses for city use in the 1970s, and also similarly converted some ex Southern Vectis batch of "XDL79-L" reg Leyland National to dual door:
When new

With Bristol Cityline

TheManWho

Question of the day:
We all know that many buses are originally built with two doors and later in life converted to a single passenger door, but I wonder if the reverse ever happens: is a bus ever built with one passenger door and then later modified to have a second door? Seems somewhat unlikely as there is a plentiful supply of secondhand dual-door buses from London.
Blue Triangle converted one of their Dennis Dart/Plaxton Pointer 2s (DP192) from single to dual door in 2006

source: Ian's Bus Stop (countrybus.org)

DGP

In my native North East, Newcastle Transport's Atlantean 251 (KBB 251D) was converted from H44/34F to H45/30D an renumbered 601 following an accident. Sunderland Corporation's Fleetline 269 (XGR 869) was rebuilt from H43/34F to H43/30D with a narrow central (almost rear) exit in 1965. That door was activated via a pressure pad in the floor which I was too young and too light to activate.

And I almost forgot about 12 Northern General Atlanteans - 2154-2165 (XUP 254-265F) which were rebuilt from H44/34F (I think) to H45/30D and transferred to their subsidiary company Gateshead and District in 1970.

citybus2500

More recently, Menzies Heathrow had 3 Omnicity (S15-17) fitted with second doors during 2015 for use on T2/T3 Long Stay Car Park.