• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

"Door ingress operated" alarm on Pendolino 19/11/22

Status
Not open for further replies.

rogercov

I was intrigued by the "door ingress operated" alarm which I heard on a Pendolino waiting at the signal approaching Rugby on Saturday night.

Does anyone know what conditions could cause this alarm? The use of the word "ingress" leads me to think that someone tried to get into the train from outside. If it had been an attempt to open a door from the inside, would that have given a different message?

It should have been a brief signal stop to allow a train on the Trent Valley line to get ahead. However, after the alarm, the signaller set all Rugby signals to red in both directions for around 20 minutes (as shown on OpenTrainTimes map).

It sounds like it could have been a trespass incident. Does anyone have any more information (or speculation)? Is it likely that someone managed to open a train door from outside?

The train in question was this one:

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
I was intrigued by the "door ingress operated" alarm which I heard on a Pendolino waiting at the signal approaching Rugby on Saturday night.

Does anyone know what conditions could cause this alarm? The use of the word "ingress" leads me to think that someone tried to get into the train from outside. If it had been an attempt to open a door from the inside, would that have given a different message?

It should have been a brief signal stop to allow a train on the Trent Valley line to get ahead. However, after the alarm, the signaller set all Rugby signals to red in both directions for around 20 minutes (as shown on OpenTrainTimes map).

It sounds like it could have been a trespass incident. Does anyone have any more information (or speculation)? Is it likely that someone managed to open a train door from outside?

The train in question was this one:
Was it not the ‘egress’ which would mean someone tried to get out? Therefore potentially a person exiting the train on to the track? All lines stopped until could be ascertained that no one had exited?

driver9000

Established Member
The handles are called Emergency Egress whether on the outside or inside. I would presume someone made a mistake with an announcement or they were misheard.

AJDesiro

I happened to be on that service approaching into Rugby, the staff genuinely looked worried when I went to the shop, I overheard one of them ask if anyone had gotten off, for the train manager to say that the train wouldn't let them off in this circumstance. Apparently it was just someone who had pulled an alarm upon a passenger asking staff. Someone did unfortunately get hit by a train that day at Rugby, I can't help but worry that this is what this was. Unfortunate.

ayubdaud

Interestly I was on the WMT train that was behind 9M58. I'm sure I'd heard the delay was due to a passenger falling ill. The fatality I think was after this incident.

rogercov

Hi all. Thanks for the replies.
Was it not the ‘egress’ which would mean someone tried to get out?
Very likely. I guess "egress" can sound like "ingress", so it's very possible that it was misheard. Certainly "egress" would make more sense, and the train manager did come through asking whether anyone had touched the doors.

Interestly I was on the WMT train that was behind 9M58. I'm sure I'd heard the delay was due to a passenger falling ill. The fatality I think was after this incident.
Later in the journey it was announced that that the delay was due to a "passenger taken ill", which could cover a multitude of issues. It's possible that the individual in question was taken off the train at Rugby.

Trains then returned to normal until the later "person hit by train" at Rugby. Very sad indeed, especially if the two incidents are related.

Status
Not open for further replies.