• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Door open buttons

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lemmy99uk

I see that one Japanese railway company is changing the method of door opening on some of its units.

Instead of the Conductor releasing the doors to activate the local open/close buttons, the release will now cause all doors to open automatically, avoiding the need for customers to touch the buttons.

Is there any UK stock capable of this modification?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

brad465

Established Member
I see that one Japanese railway company is changing the method of door opening on some of its units.

Instead of the Conductor releasing the doors to activate the local open/close buttons, the release will now cause all doors to open automatically, avoiding the need for customers to touch the buttons.

Is there any UK stock capable of this modification?
I recall the 700s being able to do this in automatic operation through the Thameslink corridor, but not sure if this specific function is usable elsewhere in their operation.

Nym

Established Member
All LUL stock from 1983TS onwards excluding 2009TS can do this.
It's not that hard to put in on older stocks, before door control all became an IFE black box of failures.

py_megapixel

Established Member
All LUL stock from 1983TS onwards excluding 2009TS can do this.
It's not that hard to put in on older stocks, before door control all became an IFE black box of failures.

As far as I'm aware it's less relevant on LU, as this has been the default mode of operation for a long time now.
The only exception is the automatic door close on the S-stock - do you know if the driver is able to override that?

Qwerty133

Established Member
Surely its easier to just advise customers to use their elbows to open exterior doors, and also might be time to advertise the presence of the foot buttons on the floor for internal doors on some units.

Dstock7080

Established Member
The only exception is the automatic door close on the S-stock - do you know if the driver is able to override that?
Yes the driver of S Stock can override auto-close, at each station.
Some stations already have override commands programmed in at certain times.

Lemmy99uk

Surely its easier to just advise customers to use their elbows to open exterior doors, and also might be time to advertise the presence of the foot buttons on the floor for internal doors on some units.

That’s interesting - which units have foot buttons?

Qwerty133

Established Member
That’s interesting - which units have foot buttons?
Definitely 222s, but considering the planned use quite possibly all semi-recent intercity stock. The buttons were designed to allow a trolley to pass through the interior of a train without the host having to reach for buttons to get between coaches.

Crossover

Established Member
Definitely 222s, but considering the planned use quite possibly all semi-recent intercity stock. The buttons were designed to allow a trolley to pass through the interior of a train without the host having to reach for buttons to get between coaches.

I am only aware of the feature on 222's for the internal doors (excepting some of the older hauled stock which has floor pads) - a very useful feature I thought and I'm not sure why they haven't been accepted for use more widely

edwin_m

Veteran Member
Only seen it on 222s. Gangway doors between cars on Turbostars and Electrostars have a sort of virtual button marked on the door, and waving a hand in the vicinity of this triggers a sensor up above (sometimes). So in theory those doors can be opened without hand contact.

robbeech

Established Member
Very little to stop development of contactless solutions for this. As Edwin says above, 170's and various others have something in place that works very poorly but as a concept could work. Foot operated controls would also work qwuite well. Remember, there's nothing to stop there being a push button aswell if someone is unable to operate the foot switch.

Status
Not open for further replies.