• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Door position marking on platforms

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dstock7080

Established Member
legacy CSDE equipment (Bakerloo/Piccadilly/sub-surface manual) gives around 1.0m of tolerance, ATO/CBTC/TBTC much less.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

moogal

I recall this being trialled on the DLR a few years back too - certainly waiting at Poplar there were arrows on the platforms in the door positions showing that passengers waiting to board should wait to the sides of the doorways until alighting passengers had exited.

At my local mainline station, there are "Mind the Gap" messages painted at certain intervals along the platform edge, and maybe more by coincidence than judgement, they tend to line up with the doors on most services I catch.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Possibly (I just dont know!)

However it is also the case that most trains are now driven by ATO through the core, and I guess observed stopping positions are a little tighter.

Could also be that. I just remember standing by one and getting a great view of the corridor connection.

Purple Train

Established Member
There are markings on at least some EL stations to mark the position of carriage ends - interested why they chose that rather than door markings. There are also strange black and white squares that don't seem to line up with anything.

Taunton

Established Member
The markings at Canary Wharf Jubilee Line have gone now, but the formalised queueing at each doorway continues, doubtless at first by inertia, then as office staff changed over they just followed the convention.

One of the issues was on eastbound trains which were terminating at North Greenwich, sometimes alas at short notice, a PA announcement would be made in the train on approach for continuing passengers to Stratford to change there rather than at North Greenwich itself, which involves going over the bridge from the terminus platform. That's fine, except that in the evening peak you were then confronted with a queue at each PED which took several following trains to get to the front of.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
The markings at Canary Wharf Jubilee Line have gone now, but the formalised queueing at each doorway continues, doubtless at first by inertia, then as office staff changed over they just followed the convention.

People have done that since it opened, with PEDs it is the natural thing to do.

pelli

Extensive platform markings were trialled at Kings Cross St Pancras back in 2017. It wasn't successful.
Interesting. When I first looked at that, it said to me DO stand in the green bits.
I would have thought a simple yellow hatched area with a few signs and arrows (similar to the Hong Kong example in the opening post) would have worked much better.
Separately from the green lanes trial on the Victoria Line, I believe that specifically the southbound Northern Line platform at King's Cross St Pancras has (or at least had up until earlier this year, according to Youtube videos) longstanding yellow hatchings at the door positions, as seen in this screenshot from a video from 2017:
Hatchings.png
I tried to ask Google for more information about the yellow hatches but it just returned this thread and a previous thread from the Victoria Line trial where commenters also suggested yellow hatches would be better...

I believe there are several Underground stations with "Mind the Gap" written along the platform edge at odd spacings, which turn out to be the door positions, as seen in this screenshot from another video showing the Northern Line at Moorgate:
MindTheGap.png

boiledbeans2

I believe there are several Underground stations with "Mind the Gap" written along the platform edge at odd spacings, which turn out to be the door positions, as seen in this screenshot from another video showing the Northern Line at Moorgate:
View attachment 146263

Interesting photos. Though in my opinion, the "Mind the Gap" still seems random. For example, the nearest single door has "Mind the Gap" facing the train, while the next single door has it facing the platform. So if you were getting off the train, you may or may not have the "Mind the Gap" facing the right direction. And even if it was facing the right direction, I guess everyone would be in a hurry to get off and no one would notice the sign anyway.

Mikey C

Established Member
I'd forgotten that Golders Green has "mind the gap" messages where most of the doors open. With ATO they line up very well.

Status
Not open for further replies.