• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Double deckers in other countries?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mikey C

Established Member
This popped up on Ebay today - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/304107610067 (Link is to Ebay auction for the berlin bus in the image in this post)

No idea of date or what the bus is. sorry
View attachment 101214
if you clink on the link, it's a postcard and the second photo is of the reverse

VIEW CARD DOUBLE DECK OMNIBUS NAG-D2 OF THE GENERAL BERLINER OMNIBUS AG

built in 1928
back in operation since 1984

And yes I did use Google Translate :D

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

carlberry

Established Member

SLTRegular

Blue Mountains, Perth, Brisbane, Gold Coast Melbourne, Sydney and Darwin all have or had deckers. Blue Mountains has just lost its fleet of Lothian Olympians due to the 2nd lockdown.

Shanghai has deckers also.

Last edited by a moderator:

In India I've seen pairs of double deckers coupled back-to-back and driven as a pair. No need to reverse at destination, driver simply swaps cabs and powers up what was the trailer.
Has anyone got a picture? Presumably there is a means of locking the steering in the rear cab? Is the middle articulated? It must have some kind of steering. (Thanks)

randyrippley

Established Member
Has anyone got a picture? Presumably there is a means of locking the steering in the rear cab? Is the middle articulated? It must have some kind of steering. (Thanks)
It was in Ahmedabad around 25 years ago. I didn't have a camera and I've never seen a photo elsewhere. They were linked with a short solid hook and eye tow bar. As far as I can remember no brake lines so the trailing bus was unbraked.

As for the steering, I suspect it was just left to castor. These buses were old wrecks and the chances of anyone spending money on them was minimal.

DanielB

The Netherlands have started using them on certain limited stop services in recent years.
Using double decker buses on public bus services in The Netherlands remains very rare however. Articulated buses are much more common as they're able to carry more passengers without the limitations of a double decker.
The limited stop services that got double deckers recently got them as they run mostly on the highway and are extremely busy, thus more seated capacity was desired. But actually they needed to increase the frequency to be able to carry all passengers.

Currently double deckers are only to be found at these two services in The Netherlands:
  • Route 346 from Haarlem Station to Amsterdam Zuid (currently weekdags only)
  • Route 300 from Groningen Station to Emmen Station (although most of the double deckers have not ran since January due to Covid)
Wouldn't expect an increase in double decker operated services in The Netherlands any time soon however. Route 346 was already seen as an experiment, with buses having to pass under the bridge that links both halves of the VUMC hospital in kneeled position at maximum 15 km/h to fit below the overhead lines of the trams.

johncrossley

Established Member
Articulated buses are much more common as they're able to carry more passengers without the limitations of a double decker.

It is common for people in the UK to disapprove of articulated buses despite their many advantages. The current prime minister even ran a successful campaign to get rid of them when he ran for mayor of London in 2008. In Britain the operators prefer double deckers as they have more seats and bus companies are particularly worried about fare evasion. Double deckers have worse dwell times, especially the way they are run outside London with a single door. I think it is notable that the examples in the Netherlands are on coach routes where dwell times are less important. Personally, I think articulated buses are badly missed in London, especially when you consider what has replaced them on many of those routes.

Ken H

On Moderation
It is common for people in the UK to disapprove of articulated buses despite their many advantages. The current prime minister even ran a successful campaign to get rid of them when he ran for mayor of London in 2008. In Britain the operators prefer double deckers as they have more seats and bus companies are particularly worried about fare evasion. Double deckers have worse dwell times, especially the way they are run outside London with a single door. I think it is notable that the examples in the Netherlands are on coach routes where dwell times are less important. Personally, I think articulated buses are badly missed in London, especially when you consider what has replaced them on many of those routes.
The argument is that bendy buses are difficult the some british street, especially when turning 90 degree left corners. streets on the continent seem to be wider. They seem to cause a problem for cyclists, again when turning left. But then perhaps they should not try and undertake buses. And they take far more road space than a double decker.

Robertj21a

On Moderation
The argument is that bendy buses are difficult the some british street, especially when turning 90 degree left corners. streets on the continent seem to be wider. They seem to cause a problem for cyclists, again when turning left. But then perhaps they should not try and undertake buses. And they take far more road space than a double decker.
Surely, it's only the wheelbase of the front unit that matters?. On artics that will usually be less than the wheelbase of a 12m rigid, so there shouldn't be any problems. The rear unit is, of course, designed to follow the front.

Ken H

On Moderation
Surely, it's only the wheelbase of the front unit that matters?. On artics that will usually be less than the wheelbase of a 12m rigid, so there shouldn't be any problems. The rear unit is, of course, designed to follow the front.
do the rear wheels follow the same line as the middle ones when going round corners. or do they 'cut the corner' a little?

DanielB

do the rear wheels follow the same line as the middle ones when going round corners. or do they 'cut the corner' a little?
Actually, the rear wheels usually take the corner a bit wider than the middle wheels. Depends on the exact bus model though, the currently most common version with engine in the rear vehicle swings out less afaik.

Funny though that they don't appear to cause any problems for cyclists here in The Netherlands, not even in some of our large university-cities with almost more cyclists than buses. Which actually even have 20 meter bendy buses (Groningen) or even 25 meter double articulated ones (Utrecht), also on quite narrow roads.
Road space taken by the bus seems not really to be an issue here, the main issue is the mass transit and thus how to get as many passengers in and out as fast as possible. Something that is more easily done in an articulated bus with four sets of doors than in a double decker.

Just to give an idea: when the double-articulated buses were still being used on route 12 in Utrecht they carried a whopping 4000 passengers an hour with a bus every 2 minutes. That was just a matter of arriving at the stop, squeeze ~133 passengers in the bus within a minute or so and leave again. Try that with a double decker ;)

Ken H

On Moderation
Actually, the rear wheels usually take the corner a bit wider than the middle wheels. Depends on the exact bus model though, the currently most common version with engine in the rear vehicle swings out less afaik.

Funny though that they don't appear to cause any problems for cyclists here in The Netherlands, not even in some of our large university-cities with almost more cyclists than buses. Which actually even have 20 meter bendy buses (Groningen) or even 25 meter double articulated ones (Utrecht), also on quite narrow roads.
Road space taken by the bus seems not really to be an issue here, the main issue is the mass transit and thus how to get as many passengers in and out as fast as possible. Something that is more easily done in an articulated bus with four sets of doors than in a double decker.

Just to give an idea: when the double-articulated buses were still being used on route 12 in Utrecht they carried a whopping 4000 passengers an hour with a bus every 2 minutes. That was just a matter of arriving at the stop, squeeze ~133 passengers in the bus within a minute or so and leave again. Try that with a double decker ;)
It sounds like Utrecht 12 needs a tram!

TRAX

Established Member
Using double decker buses on public bus services in The Netherlands remains very rare however. Articulated buses are much more common as they're able to carry more passengers without the limitations of a double decker.
The limited stop services that got double deckers recently got them as they run mostly on the highway and are extremely busy, thus more seated capacity was desired. But actually they needed to increase the frequency to be able to carry all passengers.

Currently double deckers are only to be found at these two services in The Netherlands:
  • Route 346 from Haarlem Station to Amsterdam Zuid (currently weekdags only)
  • Route 300 from Groningen Station to Emmen Station (although most of the double deckers have not ran since January due to Covid)
Wouldn't expect an increase in double decker operated services in The Netherlands any time soon however. Route 346 was already seen as an experiment, with buses having to pass under the bridge that links both halves of the VUMC hospital in kneeled position at maximum 15 km/h to fit below the overhead lines of the trams.

The Île-de-France region has a few commuter coach routes like these that run double deck coaches - VDL Futura FDD-2s (like the one in your picture), Neoplan Skyliners, and Setra S 531 DTs.

longhorn

1629946619842.png

What is this? Its not a Volvo 9700 DD. Its not a Van Hool TD that we have in the USA.

MCR247

Established Member
View attachment 101734W

What is this? Its not a Volvo 9700 DD. Its not a Van Hool TD that we have in the USA.
Plaxton Panorama

longhorn

Plaxton Panorama

Interesting. I wonder why Stagecoach does not operate this in the US for their MegaBus brand? Whats the difference between Van Hool's TD and this Plaxton ride and tech wise?

It's interesting that Volvo will sell bus frames and powerplants to competitors; it must be profitable.

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
Interesting. I wonder why Stagecoach does not operate this in the US for their MegaBus brand? Whats the difference between Van Hool's TD and this Plaxton ride and tech wise?

It's interesting that Volvo will sell bus frames and powerplants to competitors; it must be profitable.
Historically the UK has preferred body on chassis combinations instead of integral vehicles such as the Van Hool or the Volvo 9700DD. It wasn't that long ago that one of the favourite coach combinations was a Van Hool body on a Volvo chassis. It's better to get part of the sale by providing a chassis for someone else to body than get no sale at all.

longhorn

What is to be gained by going this route than buying the body and frame from one vendor? This is interesting.

I see that Plaxton does have a double decker US version for sale, I guess waiting for orders.

Just to point out that Stagecoach no longer operate Megabus USA anymore. Their entire USA and Canada operations (including Megabus USA) was sold in 2019. A company called Coach USA now own and operate the Megabus USA services.

As for why they did not purchase this it may be that it is not available in the USA. Also i know that generally bus and coach vehicles in the USA are designed very differently to the UK and Europe so perhaps they wanted something more normal in the USA.

Jordan Adam

Established Member
What is to be gained by going this route than buying the body and frame from one vendor? This is interesting.
It allows more local coachbuilders to offer bespoke designs suited to a certain country's needs. Also offers far more variety for operators.

busesrusuk

I see that Plaxton does have a double decker US version for sale, I guess waiting for orders.
There are plenty of double-deckers already in service in North America, albeit mostly Canada but Las Vegas has a sizeable number of E500s in service. They initially bought a batch of 12m E500's but they subsequently bought further batches of E500s to a longer length (12.8m IIRC).

Large numbers of E500s are in service in Canada and now Mexico City, although I'm not sure what version the Mexicans have (US compliant?).

Don't forget that the "buy America" policy will also impact the commercial viability of selling relatively small batches of vehicles from European manufacturers into the US. ADL has a manufacturing/assembly plant in the US, as far as I know, to comply with that regulation but again it will be a huge commitment to design and build a vehicle such as a double-deck coach for the US market for what is a niche product.

A couple of pics of the Vegas buses here:

RTC Nevada 189 Oct19 | Bonneville Transit Center, Las Vegas.… | Keith Wood | Flickr
RTC Nevada 172 Oct19 | Las Vegas Boulevard South. Oct 2019 | Keith Wood | Flickr

Plenty of double deckers already in service in North America, albeit mostly Canada but Las Vegas has a sizeable number of E500's in service. they initially bought a batch of 12m E500's but they subsequently bought further batches of E500's to a longer length (12.8m IIRC).

Large numbers of E500's in service in Canada and now Mexico City although not sure what version the Mexicans have (US compliant?).

Don't forget that the "buy America" policy will also impact the commercial viability of selling relatively small batches of vehicles from European manufacturers into the US. ADL have a manufacturing/assembly plant in the US as far as I know to comply with that regulation but again it will be a huge commitment to design and build a vehicle such as a double deck coach for the US market for what is a niche product.

A couple of pics of the Vegas buses here:

RTC Nevada 189 Oct19 | Bonneville Transit Center, Las Vegas.… | Keith Wood | Flickr
RTC Nevada 172 Oct19 | Las Vegas Boulevard South. Oct 2019 | Keith Wood | Flickr
May I ask what this "Buy America" policy is you refer to? Never heard of it before so just curious?

busesrusuk

May i ask what this "Buy America" policy is you refer to? Never heard of it before so just curious?
As I understand it, any products sold in the US have to have a significant US made content. Don't know what the numbers are but buses with Cummins engines in (as a for instance), gearboxes or seats made in the US will go some way to meet the criteria. Without the US content I believe those products will be subject to higher import taxes thus making them less competitive with US manufactured products. By assembling their buses in the US (thus using local workforce), ADL will be able to claim local content and thus not have to pay the higher import duties. Happy to be corrected on this...

As I understand it, any products sold in the US have to have a significant US made content. Don't know what the numbers are but buses with Cummins engines in (as a for instance), gearboxes or seats made in the US will go some way to meet the criteria. Without the US content I believe those products will be subject to higher import taxes thus making them less competitive with US manufactured products. By assembling their buses in the US (thus using local workforce), ADL will be able to claim local content and thus not have to pay the higher import duties. Happy to be corrected on this...
Many thanks for the explanation. I had no idea about this policy. I guess this may be why buses and coaches in the USA are so different to the rest of the world.

Status
Not open for further replies.