• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Double track lines in Ireland

Status
Not open for further replies.

deltic

Established Member
Apart from Dublin commuter lines, Dublin-Cork and Dublin-Belfast and a few other short sections, the vast majority of lines in Ireland are single track. Were they all built like this or have any been singled over the years?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

The M & GW main line to Galway (via Mullingar) was double track from Dublin to Ballinasloe as was the Sligo branch from Mullingar as far as Longford. They were singled during the difficult early years of the Republic as an economy measure. Nowadays of course Galway trains run on the rival GS & W main line via Portarlington and the direct Mullingar to Athlone line via Moate has been abandoned.

InterCity:125

Apart from Dublin commuter lines, Dublin-Cork and Dublin-Belfast and a few other short sections, the vast majority of lines in Ireland are single track. Were they all built like this or have any been singled over the years?
What struck me as strange is that the lines from cork to Cobh and Midleton are both double track when single track with passing points would work fine. I’ve never even seen platform 2 in use at Midleton.

deltic

Established Member
What struck me as strange is that the lines from cork to Cobh and Midleton are both double track when single track with passing points would work fine. I’ve never even seen platform 2 in use at Midleton.
I assume the line to Cobh was quite important in the past as it was a major transatlantic port but as you say surprised it was not singled as a cost cutting measure post "The Emergency"

geoffk

Established Member
Cobh is double track but I thought Midleton was single track with a long loop at Carrigtwohill. Belfast to Bangor and to Kilroot on the Larne branch also double track.

DT611

I believe the long term plan is to ultimately grow the cork suburban, so while the current infrastructure could be viewed as over-kill for today's operations, long term it's a good thing that it exists as it makes it a lot easier and a lot less costly to bring the improvements and growth in services whenever they are eventually needed and rolled out.

InterCity:125

I believe the long term plan is to ultimately grow the cork suburban, so while the current infrastructure could be viewed as over-kill for today's operations, long term it's a good thing that it exists as it makes it a lot easier and a lot less costly to bring the improvements and growth in services whenever they are eventually needed and rolled out.
That’s what I assumed.

Status
Not open for further replies.