• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Downgrading my first class ticket to standard

Status
Not open for further replies.

hwilks336

Hi all,

I have purchased a first class ticket from Bristol Parkway to Sheffield for this weekend.

However, I now want to downgrade my ticket to be a standard ticket.

On the Trainline app it is allowing me to change the ticket, but it doesn’t make it clear whether I would be refunded the difference.

Has anyone done this before and has been able to get a refund of the difference?

I don’t want to pressing the “complete” button incase they downgrade my ticket without refunding me the difference!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
If you change a more expensive Advance ticket to a cheaper one the difference is NOT refunded.

For walk ups it would be refund (less £10 if applicable) and replace.

voyagerdude220

Established Member
If you change a more expensive Advance ticket to a cheaper one the difference is NOT refunded.

For walk ups it would be refund (less £10 if applicable) and replace.

But at the moment the OP could get a refund on the Advance First ticket(s) in the form of travel vouchers if they make the request before 18:00 the day before travel and rebook new Standard Advance singles in the meantime.

Off topic, but I recently booked a few Advance singles on the LNER website for a relative but they realised they needed to change the dates of travel a few days after I booked them. Within 15 minutes of messaging LNER on Facebook, they had brilliantly given me a full refund in the form of an e voucher to use on their website.

hwilks336

update: I contacted trainline this morning who exchanged the first class ticket for a standard one and refunded me the difference between the two tickets. They also booked me seats for the standard ticket. :)

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
But at the moment the OP could get a refund on the Advance First ticket(s) in the form of travel vouchers if they make the request before 18:00 the day before travel and rebook new Standard Advance singles in the meantime.

Ah, didn't realise that was still a thing.

update: I contacted trainline this morning who exchanged the first class ticket for a standard one and refunded me the difference between the two tickets. They also booked me seats for the standard ticket. :)

Good stuff :)

voyagerdude220

Established Member
Excellent! Nice bonus for you.

Ah, didn't realise that was still a thing.

Good stuff :)

I'm not sure how long it's on for, I'm guessing the rest of the year.

block6panger

Yes, to December 31st.
On this topic, does anyone have any idea how long Avanti are taking to process these? I've been waiting a month now and have yet to receive the e-voucher. I called them up (after waiting an hour or so) and they said they can't process the refund request over the phone.

It's a little frustrating as the advance tickets I need are on sale and are only likely to increase in price.

TPE on the other hand were very quick and processed it all within a week or two.

Status
Not open for further replies.