• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

DR entitlement due to a knock-on delay caused by the Elizabeth Line?

Status
Not open for further replies.

trenopendo

Posting here before my memory fades :) Any help would be appreciated.

Edit, as per request: HXX (Heathrow Terminals 2 & 3), OXF (Oxford), HAY (Hayes & Harlington), SLO (Slough), GWR (Great Western Railway), TfL (Transport for London), PAYG (Pay-as-you-go).

1.- Today (28-09-2022), I purchased an off-peak, single ticket from HXX to OXF. This was purchased directly on a ticket machine at HXX, so I guess that means all tickets are valid in terms of minimum connecting time?
2.- Original routing was: 1007 to 1012 h (HXX to HAY), 1015 to 1025 h (HAY to SLO), 1034 to 1112 h (SLO to OXF)
3.- The Elizabeth Line (EL) 1007 service arrived at 1014 h at HAY. Hence, I missed the 1015 HAY to SLO train.
4.- Ended up taking a series of trains (HAY to SLO using EL, SLO to OXF using GWR) that, eventually, allowed me to arrive to OXF at 1147 h.

Therefore, I suffered a delay of over 30 minutes. However, the journey was split between TfL and GWR. TfL's website indicates entitlement for 30'+ minutes delays (https://tfl.gov.uk/fares/refunds-and-replacements/overground-and-elizabeth-line-delays), but it also references the National Rail Conditions of Travel for delays of over 60 minutes that included travel outside of the PAYG area.

Can anyone advise on whether I should claim for this delay? Or am I SOL?

Thanks a lot, have a nice day!

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

RT4038

Established Member

1.- Today (28-09-2022), I purchased an off-peak, single ticket from HXX to OXF. This was purchased directly on a ticket machine at HXX, so I guess that means all tickets are valid in terms of minimum connecting time?
2.- Original routing was: 1007 to 1012 h (HXX to HAY), 1015 to 1025 h (HAY to SLO), 1034 to 1112 h (SLO to OXF)
3.- The Elizabeth Line (EL) 1007 service arrived at 1014 h at HAY. Hence, I missed the 1015 HAY to SLO train.
4.- Ended up taking a series of trains (HAY to SLO using EL, SLO to OXF using GWR) that, eventually, allowed me to arrive to OXF at 1147 h.

Therefore, I suffered a delay of over 30 minutes. However, the journey was split between TfL and GWR. TfL's website indicates entitlement for 30'+ minutes delays (https://tfl.gov.uk/fares/refunds-and-replacements/overground-and-elizabeth-line-delays), but it also references the National Rail Conditions of Travel for delays of over 60 minutes that included travel outside of the PAYG area.

Is the 3 minute connection at 10h12-10h15 sufficient?

Last edited:

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor

Unfortunately TfL's takeover of services on the GWML has not been without its downsides. Their policy is very stingy when it comes to delay compensation for journeys outwith the PAYG area; they only pay the legal minimum required under the NRCoT.

As your delay was less than 60 minutes, unfortunately this means you are not entitled to any delay compensation.

Us the 3 minute connection at 10h12-10h15 sufficient?
Yes, the minimum connection time at Hayes & Harlington is 3 minutes.

Status
Not open for further replies.