• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Drinking water on trains with alcohol licence

Status
Not open for further replies.

tsr

Established Member
Yes, but I thought it was clearly in the context of 'all London terminal stations'... or did you seriously expect me to list every station in the country which charges for the use of toilets?

The point being that the reason Kings's Cross charges and St Pancras doesn't is simply because they are operated by different companies.

Not at all. Forgive me if it seemed like I was expecting a ridiculous level of detail of toilet charges to be posted. My point is that the situation with toilet charging, central London or not, is currently discretionary based on operators and current usage (including exactly which people use the toilets). I should really have gone on to say that the same rules can apply to drinking water, in terms of charging and discretion, rather than making an opaque comment about bringing your own. What I mean is that there may be times when it is both good customer service and also of minimal cost to provide bottled or chilled water, but that these situations may be rare. I do not agree that drinking water should be free of charge whenever alcohol or general food/drinks are available onboard. It would be ridiculous to enforce this with trolley services and/or where stops are reasonably close together and the changeover of individual passengers is quite great (some XC services spring to mind). Sleeper and Pullman/Chef services may provide this facility to customers using berths and restaurant coaches (respectively) and that's fine.ask on long-distance limited-stop services, provided

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

transmanche

Established Member
I do not agree that drinking water should be free of charge whenever alcohol or general food/drinks are available onboard.
Does anyone realistically expect that? Certainly the law doesn't as a) no licence is required to sell alcohol on board, so there's no licence to make it a condition that tap water is available. And b) even if selling alcohol on trains was a licensable activity, trains would be exempt from the licence condition as trains are not connected to the water mains(!), so tap water is not "reasonably available".

It's a non-issue.

tsr

Established Member
Does anyone realistically expect that? Certainly the law doesn't as a) no licence is required to sell alcohol on board, so there's no licence to make it a condition that tap water is available. And b) even if selling alcohol on trains was a licensable activity, trains would be exempt from the licence condition as trains are not connected to the water mains(!), so tap water is not "reasonably available".

It's a non-issue.

Isn't that what this thread has been about? I completely agree with your summary, but as we can see, some explanation is needed of this and consideration of why it is unreasonable.

transmanche

Established Member
Isn't that what this thread has been about? I completely agree with your summary, but as we can see, some explanation is needed of this and consideration of why it is unreasonable.
TBH, i thought it was all covered adequately in posts #4 and #18.

Status
Not open for further replies.