• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Driver assessment for Northern: should the change of operator be a concern?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JRE

I have a Driver Assessment Centre next week for Northern.. Slightly worried now.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

JRE

Thanks sportzbar, hopefully you're right. I've heard nothing from Northern to say that I'm no longer required at the Assessment Centre, so all being well, the recruitment will still go ahead.

fermit

I passed last Tests & MMI last Wednesday and got the email saying - "we're awaiting training dates, 9 months etc" yesterday. This was for a trainee driver position in Leeds - fingers crossed all will carry on and the call will at some point come!

Aristo

I passed last Tests & MMI last Wednesday and got the email saying - "we're awaiting training dates, 9 months etc" yesterday. This was for a trainee driver position in Leeds - fingers crossed all will carry on and the call will at some point come!

If you dont mind me asking, how long ago did you aplpy for this and what was the gap between applying and hearing something. I applied for a trainee driver job with Northern recently and was curious how long I can expect to wait. Cheers!

JRE

Thanks fermit. That's reassuring.. I've got everything crossed. 9 months is a long time to wait though!

fermit

If you dont mind me asking, how long ago did you aplpy for this and what was the gap between applying and hearing something. I applied for a trainee driver job with Northern recently and was curious how long I can expect to wait. Cheers!

Application middle of October 2019, Call just before Christmas to ask if I was still interested (!), Interview January, Tests and MMI two weeks later, 4 days after got the email to say I had passed.

tmmchale

exactly the same here mate, passed the assessments last Thursday and received the email Monday. Hoping they’re getting the courses/numbers together as they said they have a course running monthly at the moment to me!

fermit

exactly the same here mate, passed the assessments last Thursday and received the email Monday. Hoping they’re getting the courses/numbers together as they said they have a course running monthly at the moment to me!
Congratulations too! For Leeds?

Yep - I was told courses were going to be monthly also - fingers crossed it's just a case of getting the ducks in a line.

tmmchale

Congratulations too! For Leeds?

Yep - I was told courses were going to be monthly also - fingers crossed it's just a case of getting the ducks in a line.

Aye for Leeds! All being well it’ll fall into place soon :)

Victornc

Application middle of October 2019, Call just before Christmas to ask if I was still interested (!), Interview January, Tests and MMI two weeks later, 4 days after got the email to say I had passed.

Can I ask did u get an email with SJT before the initial interview? Just in my application says will hopefully here back in 2-4 weeks guessing they mean to send SJT via email in that time if they think I’m worth one to try or does everybody get one who applied and then wiggle it down that way?

Aristo - have you literally applied with in the last 2 weeks? If just sent mine off on 24th had closing date for 25th of January wonder if same one we put in for

samuel791

Same here too! Glad there are others out there. Did my final Stage 2 testing and MMI yesterday and was told I’d passed, so just waiting on confirmation from Northern.

Also gone for Leeds. Was told in the interview start dates were from end of April onwards with 6-8 people in a course at a time.

richfoz84

i had interview last week, brought up the likelihood of nationalisation, the interviewer said it would likely be a good thing as they would pump more money into Northern, more drivers / carriages etc to improve the service.. so i wouldn't be worried if they weren't.

I applied Sept '19, email 2 weeks ago inviting to an interview. Interview Friday of last week, told i passed Monday this week. Invite to assessment Wed 5th, where they look to give you a yes or no within 5 days of that. Told me courses planned every month this year starting April, couldn't confirm location though (Manchester or Leeds). Said they are keen to move forward with their heavy recruitment drive and nationalisation wouldn't affect this.

tmmchale

i had interview last week, brought up the likelihood of nationalisation, the interviewer said it would likely be a good thing as they would pump more money into Northern, more drivers / carriages etc to improve the service.. so i wouldn't be worried if they weren't.

I applied Sept '19, email 2 weeks ago inviting to an interview. Interview Friday of last week, told i passed Monday this week. Invite to assessment Wed 5th, where they look to give you a yes or no within 5 days of that. Told me courses planned every month this year starting April, couldn't confirm location though (Manchester or Leeds). Said they are keen to move forward with their heavy recruitment drive and nationalisation wouldn't affect this.

Good to know! I didn’t ask but wish I had have after I’d left so thank you for the heads up. Looking like things should be good to go from April then all being well!

LimaLlama

This sounds promising. I applied in September last year, but just still in the process waiting to see what happens next.

Aristo

This is all very promising to hear. Does anyone know what the contact email is for the recruitment team at northern? I removed my cover letter to make some improvements and re uploaded it after the vacancy is closed and I’m a bit worried that they won’t be able to see it. Many thanks all :)

Llama

Established Member
Recruitment will continue as normal. Internal jobs list has just been sent out with plenty of vacancies on it just the same as it normally has.

JRE

Recruitment will continue as normal. Internal jobs list has just been sent out with plenty of vacancies on it just the same as it normally has.
That's great news. I'm hoping that they're still recruiting in 6 months time, as unfortunately I've passed everything except the ATAVT test, which I'd need to re-do if I'm successful in the next paper-sift.

Will the recruitment team remain the same, just wish a different company name?

Kauto5

Wonder what will happen to applications in progress on the DB website? Where will I be able to perform my daily cursory check that the status of my application still hasn't changed? :o

Fraz

I’ve applied for York, which closed on Friday and my application status has changed to ‘assessment’, hoping to receive an email this week about the online assessment.

ST

I’ve applied for York, which closed on Friday and my application status has changed to ‘assessment’, hoping to receive an email this week about the online assessment.

It is my experience that Northern interview after the sift, without any assessments for you to complete as such at this stage. If you are successful at interview, you will then be put forward to the assessment day. The message you see may well mean your application is being assessed i.e. not yet sifted but I could be wring. It is worth contacting Northern HR for clarity on 01904568101 if you need. Good luck!

Victornc

It is my experience that Northern interview after the sift, without any assessments for you to complete as such at this stage. If you are successful at interview, you will then be put forward to the assessment day. The message you see may well mean your application is being assessed i.e. not yet sifted but I could be wring. It is worth contacting Northern HR for clarity on 01904568101 if you need. Good luck!
Interesting to know. So they don’t have the email assessment to complete before interview? I thought I did see it say there would be assessments sent out. However like you say some people say they got interview straight away.

ST

Things may have changed, but as I say, the above was my experience. The email assessments do apply to some TOCs like First TPE as per the other thread.

LokiB

I'm in the same boat. It changed to assessment the day I received the email saying they had received my application.
I'm guessing they are just assessing the applications.

Robnw67

Interesting. I've just received an email from Northern stating that I am still being considered for a driver position for the Manchester line. I applied first week in January. Perhaps things are starting to move after the Christmas break...?

Fraz

Thanks, I didn’t think of that! Yes, maybe they’re assessing the applications, oh well, fingers crossed

Fraz

I'm in the same boat. It changed to assessment the day I received the email saying they had received my application.
Yeh, possibly, let’s see what happens!

AshDee

Hi congratulations to you all on passing the assessment day.
I have my assessment next Wed for a job at Northern and wonder if anyone can give me a heads up on what they practiced for the assessment day.
What did people find the hardest?
I previously sat the test last year , passed the bourdon test , the memory test and the dials but failed the plumber double symbol test as I over complicated it on the day . Any advice tips greatly appreciated as this will be my last attempt .

AshDee

Morning , I had my interview for York last week and I’m being sent for the assessment day next week. Good luck with your application though.

Status
Not open for further replies.