• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Driver Assessment Southeastern Railway

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joel Walker

I have a Southeastern railway trainee driver assessment coming up and I was wondering if there was anybody that's gone through the assessments with Southeastern, as I know they have just added the new VSE test into it, has anyone got any experience with the new tests? I have been using the How2Become software for everything except the group bourdon test, is there anything else anyone can recommend?
https://www.jobtestprep.co.uk/group-bourdon-test
Thanks in advance

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Theooboy

I have a Southeastern railway trainee driver assessment coming up and I was wondering if there was anybody that's gone through the assessments with Southeastern, as I know they have just added the new VSE test into it, has anyone got any experience with the new tests? I have been using the How2Become software for everything except the group bourdon test, is there anything else anyone can recommend?
Thanks in advance
When did you apply for this ? And what depot

Niek88

Thanks in advance
I've also got an upcoming assessment day with southeastern. There is a practice software for the group bourdon somewhere on the forum. There is also a YouTube video on the VSE test.

Theooboy

I've also got an upcoming assessment day with southeastern. There is a practice software for the group bourdon somewhere on the forum. There is also a YouTube video on the VSE test.
When did you apply mate and what depot ?

Theooboy

November. Victoria.
Oh oh I’ve been in a talent pool for Orpington for 11 months lol within them 11 months I’ve applied for another TOC passed stage 1 and 2 including VSE and have my DMI booked since I applied last year I have not heard one word from southeastern I’ve given up with them

Joel Walker

I know there is this one,
but it's not the fill VSE test

Joel Walker

Oh , the annoying this is when I tried to apply for another depot they wouldn’t allow me because I was in talent pool
They have automatically put me in the pool for Vic depending on if I pass the assessments but I wouldn't want to go there and happy to wait for another Depot

bionic

Oh oh I’ve been in a talent pool for Orpington for 11 months lol within them 11 months I’ve applied for another TOC passed stage 1 and 2 including VSE and have my DMI booked since I applied last year I have not heard one word from southeastern I’ve given up with them

Orpington has a very high turnover with people continuously leaving for other depots and TOCs. It probably has the highest turnover of any SE depot. The only problem I can see with Orpington is that nobody is 100% sure what's going to happen when the SE depot loses the Thameslink work. Its almost half the depot's work, so when it goes (I've heard December 2019) there are either going to be a hell of a lot of drivers suddenly surplus to requirements there or moving to the Thameslink depot next door. One correspondent on here has even mentioned possible redundancies.

If there was to be an influx of SE work to cover the loss of the Thameslink jobs then it would have to come from somewhere... and that would mean other SE depots losing work. Either way there's going to be too many drivers and not enough work once it goes. Having said that, turnover is so high it can probably be absorbed in a year or so! Unfortunately Orpington probably isn't the best place to be looking to get into right now.

I applied 7 months ago, it was all depots but hoping for Charing cross

Turnover at CHX is currently very high and it's a small depot so you shouldn't have too many problems getting in there.

Twotwo

Oooo didn't know SE do the Vse. Do you have to do the Vse at the assesment centre? Or is it done after you passed the initial sift?

Niek88

Oh , the annoying this is when I tried to apply for another depot they wouldn’t allow me because I was in talent pool
Someone on another southeastern thread was given a start date for October. Not sure what depot, though.

Niek88

Orpington has a very high turnover with people continuously leaving for other depots and TOCs. It probably has the highest turnover of any SE depot. The only problem I can see with Orpington is that nobody is 100% sure what's going to happen when the SE depot loses the Thameslink work. Its almost half the depot's work, so when it goes (I've heard December 2019) there are either going to be a hell of a lot of drivers suddenly surplus to requirements there or moving to the Thameslink depot next door. One correspondent on here has even mentioned possible redundancies.

If there was to be an influx of SE work to cover the loss of the Thameslink jobs then it would have to come from somewhere... and that would mean other SE depots losing work. Either way there's going to be too many drivers and not enough work once it goes. Having said that, turnover is so high it can probably be absorbed in a year or so! Unfortunately Orpington probably isn't the best place to be looking to get into right now.

Turnover at CHX is currently very high and it's a small depot so you shouldn't have too many problems getting in there.
Thanks for the info. Do you reckon that Thameslink will progress those people in talents pools once they fully take over work at Orpington?

bionic

Thanks for the info. Do you reckon that Thameslink will progress those people in talents pools once they fully take over work at Orpington?

I don't know. I've heard Thameslink are around 140 drivers over establishment and all future driver recruitment is on hold. There are 60-odd SE drivers at Orpington who already sign all the relevant routes and traction for the Thameslink depot and it was always the plan that some SE drivers would be allowed to transfer over. This hasn't happened (yet!) but if they have a choice between somebody off the street and a fully qualified driver who already signs all their work it doesn't take a genius to work out which one they will go for. The majority of SE drivers at Orpington have already expressed an interest with Thameslink, so all HR need to do is pick up the phone and they'll have as many ready-to-go drivers as they need.

I know this isn't what you want to hear if you are waiting for a start, but if I was you I'd be putting in for jobs all over the place rather than waiting for this saga to pan out.

Niek88

I don't know. I've heard Thameslink are around 140 drivers over establishment and all future driver recruitment is on hold. There are 60-odd SE drivers at Orpington who already sign all the relevant routes and traction for the Thameslink depot and it was always the plan that some SE drivers would be allowed to transfer over. This hasn't happened (yet!) but if they have a choice between somebody off the street and a fully qualified driver who already signs all their work it doesn't take a genius to work out which one they will go for. The majority of SE drivers at Orpington have already expressed an interest with Thameslink, so all HR need to do is pick up the phone and they'll have as many ready-to-go drivers as they need.

I know this isn't what you want to hear if you are waiting for a start, but if I was you I'd be putting in for jobs all over the place rather than waiting for this saga to pan out.
What you're saying does make sense. I'm sure TL must have planned for such inevitability so why the recruitment drive to then turn around and dash people's hopes. The railway industry is so unpredictable.

Theooboy

Thanks for this info I’ve given up with southeastern anyway I tried to change depot and asked them if I can apply for grove park but they said no , I’ve applied to another TOC passed all the tests just the DMI next

Hammerk

Passed all assessments for southeastern, have been in the pool a while. Enquired about upcoming jobs for any Kent stations and was told, not before next year ☹

Niek88

Passed all assessments for southeastern, have been in the pool a while. Enquired about upcoming jobs for any Kent stations and was told, not before next year ☹
With assessments & interviews happening i think there should be some movement by early 2020.

Rhia

Hi, congratulations on passing the first stage. I have my assessment coming up in a few weeks wondering if you have any advice. It’s my 2nd time btw. I failed 8months ago due to my two hand coordination. I’m now trying my best to brush up on this

Quin79

Hi, congratulations on passing the first stage. I have my assessment coming up in a few weeks wondering if you have any advice. It’s my 2nd time btw. I failed 8months ago due to my two hand coordination. I’m now trying my best to brush up on this
I've my assessment day coming up and if I manage to get to this stage I'm really worried about that test. Any pointers that may help?

Quin79

Thanks for this info I’ve given up with southeastern anyway I tried to change depot and asked them if I can apply for grove park but they said no , I’ve applied to another TOC passed all the tests just the DMI next
Good luck with this mate. I hope you smash it

bionic

Its come down officially now that Orpington SE depot is losing the Thameslink work in December. They are asking current SE drivers to nominate alternative depots so anyone waiting for Orpington on here, I'd advise to get in touch with HR and nominate another depot. You won't get into Orpington with SE for the foreseeable.

Ray90

Its come down officially now that Orpington SE depot is losing the Thameslink work in December. They are asking current SE drivers to nominate alternative depots so anyone waiting for Orpington on here, I'd advise to get in touch with HR and nominate another depot. You won't get into Orpington with SE for the foreseeable.

Are you advising SE drivers to nominate other depots, or TL people waiting? I'm one of those people waiting for TL, the wait has been long!

bionic

No, I'd advise potential SE trainees waiting for orpy to ask for other depots. We've been told TL can cover the work with the drivers they have so SE will be losing almost half of its work in december and suddenly be massively over-establishment. I just meant to say to any potential SE trainees that because of this there is no chance of a job with SE at Orpington any time soon. I dont know what TL are doing. In fact, I don't know what anyone is doing any more!

ComUtoR

Established Member
There is a course starting in a few months with 2x Orpington Trainees on it :/

Ray90

No, I'd advise potential SE trainees waiting for orpy to ask for other depots. We've been told TL can cover the work with the drivers they have so SE will be losing almost half of its work in december and suddenly be massively over-establishment. I just meant to say to any potential SE trainees that because of this there is no chance of a job with SE at Orpington any time soon. I dont know what TL are doing. In fact, I don't know what anyone is doing any more!

Right got you. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.