• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Driver assessments

Status
Not open for further replies.

boro10

Hi all

about to sit the train driver assessments very soon , any advice ?

can you take a note pad in to write stuff down ?

and do they do the interview on the assessments day still ?

many thanks in advance :)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

greatkingrat

Established Member
You can't take anything in with you, they will provide all the necessary materials.

Assuming these are the stage 1 assessments, the interview doesn't normally take place until stage 2, however this will depend on the TOC concerned.

boro10

I've passed my interview ( it's with northern ) but heard they do another interview at the assements day ?

Also how many parts are there to the assements ?

Gekko5154

Depends what toc you're doing the assessment with. I recently done mine with Southeastern and they do all tests in a single day. That's everything from group bourdon to MMI.

Belgarion

My application process went like this:

Application
On line Tests x 3
Telephone Interview
Assessment Centre Part One (PaperTests)
Assessment Centre Part Two (including MMI Interview)
Driver Manager Interview
Medical
References
Job Offer

Just a few stages and rings to jump through, but totally worth it

Good luck ??????

Lord_Percy

Hello chaps, new to the forum. I'm a qualified driver of a few years so going through the assessment stages is still fresh in my mind and I will offer advice where I can.

The TOC I did my assessments with was conducted over 2 days. I passed stage 1 and then approximately a month later undertook and passed stage 2.

I had a face to face interview on the stage 2 assessment day. It was conducted at the end of the day after completing and passing all the various tests. Note this is separate from the management interview which will come at another date assuming you pass stage 2. I found the stage 2 assessment day mentally draining but had prepared for the interview in advance in case I did pass the various tests and it paid off for me. Of the 5 of us that made it to the interview stage I was scheduled to be interviewed last so had a bit more time to compose myself but would have probably liked to have got it out the way early.

In terms of preparing for the various tests, I'm not sure you can. What helped for me was that I had a very clear idea of the kind of tests I would be taking, based on the material that was sent through the post to me before. So on the 2 days nothing took me by surprise and this relaxed my state of mind. I suppose the only test you can practically prepare for is the Group Bourden one by downloading the tool.

A cliché I know, but the most important thing for me is to remain calm and focused when you do the assessments. Easy for me to say but so very important.

Last edited:

boro10

thanks for reply Lord_Percy .

On the practice material they have sent me through it says about a taking ball through shape test (lots of different shapes ) does this form part of the test just found this really strange and almost like a game ! which I feel I would struggle with :/

Lord_Percy

Your most welcome boro10.

I completed the navigating the ball through the different shapes on the stage 2 assessment day and found that challenging. I can assure you to begin with I made some mistakes on this one by leaving the track but after a while I got the hang of it but then it was over! This is what I mean about how difficult it is to practice the tests in advance. You can probably download similar apps to practice this but where will you have access to two gear stick levers to move a ball?

One of the other tests I did on the stage 2 assessment day was the photographic memory test which depicted a street full of traffic and such. I found this one the toughest out of all the tests during the two stages and relied on instinct in answering the associated questions and was not totally sure of the right answer on some of them.

Getting through these tests really does depend on your state of mind on the day. I don't wish to come across as if I know it all as I don't. I failed a similar assessment day for a non driving role 6 months before I passed this one and that was simply down to me being too nervous on the day and making a silly mistake early on.

I would advise you and anyone concerned to familiarise yourself with the practice material you will be sent but only to make sure you have a clear idea of the tests you will be doing and what is required to pass them.

What you can do is prepare for the interview and aim to stand out here. This is the hard one.

Last edited:

LETHLFH

Which depot you in for?

Just notice your name is Boro and I know there are a few people on the forum waiting for jobs at Darlington. Just wondered if they Northern were still recruiting

LETHLFH

With Northern you usually sit all parts of assessment in 1 day at dbs in Doncaster. Usually paper parts, computer parts, sje then MMI. You wouldn't be allowed a note pad in my opinion. They provide everything on the day, just practice on materials sent out, research MMI as much as you can on these forums and last of all good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.