• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

driver competency

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mix107

I have a friend who is also a train driver and he was wondering if he had to leave his job for personal reasons without another train driver Job lined up, how long do you keep your competency up if not actually driving? Anyone ever come across this or can shed any light?

Thanks for any info

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

GadgetMan

I think it's 2 years, afterwhich you're no longer classified as a Qualified Driver.

Mix107

Is that irrespective of the period you have been Qualified? E.g. If in first year of being passed competent on your own!

A-driver

Established Member
Is that irrespective of the period you have been Qualified? E.g. If in first year of being passed competent on your own!

I don't believe length of service makes a difference. If you are off driving for up to two years, even if still employed by the TOC, you are normally counted as qualified but re-trained completely on a trainee course-full 250 or whatever it is driver hours, rules course, traction course, week long part c assessment etc but if you leave I'm almost 100% it is 2 years before you have to restart as a trainee driver.

GadgetMan

I have a friend who is also a train driver and he was wondering if he had to leave his job for personal reasons without another train driver Job lined up, how long do you keep your competency up if not actually driving? Anyone ever come across this or can shed any light?

Thanks for any info

Depending on what the circumstances are there may be other options available. For example if it's to care for a terminally ill family member (until they pass away) then management may allow you unpaid leave whilst keeping you on their books. Then when the Driver is ready to come back they just go through route refresh etc as required.

All down to what the reason for leaving is.

Beveridges

Established Member
After 6 months you need traction & route reviews. After 2 years its the full course again.

One of our Driver Operators went on the sick for over a year. It took over a month of route & traction reviews and an assessment before he could come back driving.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.