• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Driver Experiences - Diesel

CD101

Hi,
I am looking for recommendations for Diesel Driving Experiences, preferably a guaranteed Class 37 or larger hydraulic. I am based in the north west, so thinking northern England or midlands. Treat for a big birthday next year.

Many thanks.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Lost property

A few years ago I had such a day on the ELR, which, in the main, was very enjoyable and, in part, wetted my interest to become a volunteer.

However, shortly after arriving at another line, the then "top guard" made it very clear when he asked, "if you're not a rail enthusiast, what do you think you are doing here !! " so the opportunity to drive was instantly negated as this sentiment was cascaded, by him, and subsequently used by others.

Iskra

Established Member
Wensleydale Railway offer a choice of loco’s including their 37 at a fairly reasonable price

Established Member
Hi,
I am looking for recommendations for Diesel Driving Experiences, preferably a guaranteed Class 37 or larger hydraulic. I am based in the north west, so thinking northern England or midlands. Treat for a big birthday next year.

Many thanks.
Ecclesbourne Valley Railway offer Diesel (and now steam) experiences. Normally 121 bubble car and either 31, 47 or 73.

ac6000cw

Established Member
I know you asked about diesel driving experiences, and despite me being basically a diesel enthusiast...

I've been on several group driving experience days (we were a large enough group to basically hire a heritage railway for the day), and driven a variety of standard and narrow gauge steam and one diesel loco (a cl. 20). Honestly the small and older steam locos are the most interesting and fun to drive - small locos have to work harder. My favourites of the steam locos I've driven were the ex-LBSCR 'Terrier' 0-6-0 tank at Bressingham and ex-GER Y14 tender 0-6-0 on the North Norfolk - especially taking it up the steep climb from Weybourne towards Holt, regulator well open...

As for the diesels, based on the heritage railway cab rides I've had (mostly at Epping & Ongar diesel galas) I'd go for the raucous small Sulzers and EEs (20/24/25/31/33/37 etc.) - a cab ride in a visiting cl. 33, from a standing start up the steep gradient from Epping Forest back to North Weald sticks in the mind, after the driver asked the supervising engineer if it was OK to open it up...

LGM08

Hi,
It’s not a 37 but we’re running 2 private footplate experiences this year at the ELR with our Class 50, dates are 15th June and 2nd November although June has nearly sold out with only 1 section remaining, November has a nice selection remaining.
We run the 3rd path on the railway so we’re out from 10am until 17:45, you can turn up for the full day or just for your turn.
There’s no guarding or secondman, it’s literally behind the wheel in full control for whatever you choose to do, there’s either sections or you have the option to drive the full length of the line.

If you’re interested drop me a PM or join our Facebook group called The Bury Valiant Group.

JonnySeagull

The Battlefield Line do a really good value diesel driver experience. When I did it there was a choice of a class 20 or 33 and the staff were really friendly and helpful.

I drove 37215 at Gloucestershire and Warwickshire Railway a few years ago and it was a good day