• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Driver-less trains time scale... (Metro)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Olaf

I've just spotted this thread. Firstly, congratulations!

Metro won't be going driverless for at least 30+ years, the current plans for new trains have no driverless features. Most other light rail in the UK is trams, and as such they won't become driverless either, at least not until all the vehicles on the road are automated too. The current plans for Metro are being kept secret, but we've all been asked what we want to see from the trains, drivers have been asked what they want to see in the cab, and then passengers have been asked what they want the saloon to be like. From the rumours, a lot of things wanted are very similar to that of the S Stock in London, but Nexus have a weird desire for trams so who knows what we'll be seeing.

I think the closest we'll get to automation for a good 50 years or so, will be similar to that of CrossRail and the tube lines. Whereby the driver is in the cab and is still fully in charge of the train but the train drives itself for the most part. The DLR is probably the closest we'll get to full automation for a good 30 or so years unless we see a splurge in public transport funding with new systems popping up (which I doubt).

The future tube stock have all been specified to be ready for automated operation as far as I am aware; was this changed?

There are plenty of systems going live with automated operation, and conversions will look at a whole-system approach, not just of what is there at present.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.